Broken Speaker Grilles (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Both of my front door speaker grilles are busted. I need to just go ahead and get new speakers and grilles. Can anyone recommend a brand/model that has worked well and looks good with the factory door cards? I have done this before on one of my other 60's and seem to recall that it was necessary to cut the door cards, and a bit of a PITA to figure out how to secure the grilles to the cards. I would like to make this as neat and clean as possible since this is a really nice 60.

Thanks

Look in Classifieds for some OEM grilles - they are out there. Gray or blue? Recall that you need shallow speakers in any '60 front door application, if you're replacing the speakers as well.

@Chris Cahill Busted how? Is it the little posts and retaining clips that are broken off? If so, I repaired one using small black (or brown) decorative screws through one of the grill face holes at each corner. Better to use a machine type screw if you can find it so a nut and washer can be used on the backside of the door card.
The little black screw on my gray speaker grill was barely noticeable, or looked like it was made that way.

I make speaker adapters to fit 5.25" speakers in to the factory location, using the factory 3 hole pattern. They space the speakers forward as well so they do not run into the glass. Have not had anyone indicate they haven't worked for their application. Additionally, I use the factory grills on my install, as have many others. Thread is in my signature. PM me if you're interested.

Thanks guys. This is the worst one:

speaker grille.jpg

I like the idea of finding some good factory grilles and will also look into the adapter. I was originally thinking of going aftermarket but I have not been happy with how the round grilles look where they overlap onto the carpet.

speaker grille.jpg

I looked around briefly for the factory grilles - found one for sale for $175 LOL. If I can't find some for a reasonable price I may just have to go with the round grilles that come with the speakers.

I did send a PM to order the speaker adapters.

I thought at some point someone was 3D printing the grilles - maybe that was just the spacer.

I like those custom ones, that's cool. I can work on a factory speaker grill 3D model. They would need to be post processed to get the printing lines out, either an acetone wipe down or a acetone vapor. I only print in PLA right now as well which isn't the most heat resistance material.

Thanks, that would be great. If you get something workable I would definitely be interested. I don't know anything about 3D printing but I do have a buddy who is a machinist. I was thinking about asking him whether he could make some aluminum reproductions but finding a matching paint color could be a challenge.

or you could use that money for a speaker that actually sounds good and get some paint match spray paint to paint the grilles.

my truck isn’t stock so i didn’t care if the grilles were stock looking either

F0703936-FD83-49E8-AC5C-D837A5FC1058.jpeg

sorry @Chris Cahill i don’t have my old ones. i just went through my parts stash and can’t find them. otherwise i’d have made you a deal!

Last edited:

speaker grille.jpg

I like the idea of finding some good factory grilles and will also look into the adapter. I was originally thinking of going aftermarket but I have not been happy with how the round grilles look where they overlap onto the carpet.

View attachment 2519082

try to find someone with a 3D printer..I wish I had one.. possibly make them to fit 6.5 speakers.

it’ll be cheaper than findinga clean pair of grills..

speaker grille.jpg

View attachment 2519082
That seems like an easy part to 3D print. 🤔

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom