Broken Tie Rod (not the link) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Ever see this before? I’ve heard of bending the tie rod but not it breaking like this.

Looks like it napped right where the link ends. Thank goodness this happened when pulling into my garage but so bizarre.

Who makes the best replacement rod kit?

Might as well upgrade but I don’t need anything crazy. Man-a-fre has this:

image000001.jpeg

Likely stress corrosion.
A long time ago, a microscopic crack developed where the break is now. It likely wasn’t even visible when it first happened. Then over the years the tiny crack corroded and opened up more as the bare steel rusted away.
Then it’s only a matter of time until too much of the crack dissolves and the flexing of the metal opens it up further — until one day the component shears in two / when pulling into a driveway.

I had the ball pop out of the socket (with no warning) on my FJ62 while 'wheeling with the Rising Sun club. I replaced it with an OEM Toyota tie rod end, but had to saw off about 1" of the threaded portion, since the new joint's threaded end was quite a bit longer than the original. The pix is my 'trail fix' to get it home.

DSCN6227.jpg

looking a little crosseyed. I wonder if the clamp fell off or was loose and it fatigued. Doesn’t look like corrosion did it alone

IMG_9259.jpeg

IMG_9253.jpeg
IMG_9254.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom