Broken ignition rod repair method (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This past Sunday afternoon I got a call from my wife that the ignition key was just rotating freely in her 2000 Land Cruiser without being able to start it. From reading posts on this forum I had a pretty good idea what the culprit was and watched the YouTube video someone made about replacing the broken ignition cylinder barrel rod.

Some members have posted about being able to jam a socket over a stub sticking up on the lower broken section of the rod and start it up and drive away. Unfortunately in my case the rod broke right at the lower cam and there was no stub sticking up to grab. Fishing the lower broken bit out was a challenge to say the least and I ended up having to taking the two screws out of the switch to move it out of the way and provide access to the tip of the rod. This rod needed to be rotated to align the integral key on it with the slot in the bore so it could be pushed free. Even then, it was still a challenge to finish fishing the short broken piece out from above, as it fell sideways and the spring loaded column lock mechanism near the bottom was in the way. A good flashlight, long screwdriver and wire with a hooked end along with several attempts were required to fish it out. After removal of the broken piece, I reinstalled the switch and two screws at the bottom. I also installed the black ring at the top and plugged the socket back in as I believe it may be part of the security system. I was able to start the vehicle by sliding a long flat blade medium size screwdriver down into the slot of the switch and turning clockwise while holding the key near the top of the hole to disable the security system. After the motor was started, it was necessary to pull the screwdriver out some and use the tip of it to push the spring loaded steering column lock mechanism to one side to free the steering wheel lock. While carefully holding it in the unlocked position I was able to drive it back home. I skipped removal of the driver’s seat as shown in the video as it was unnecessary.

Of course on a Sunday evening there was no way to get a replacement rod, so I considered some repair options. The rod appears to be made from some die cast zinc based alloy, which is likely not friendly to weld and I don’t think I would even trust the special solders for zinc in this application. Most of the loads on the rod are torsional, so a repair that was good at resisting torque loads was the primary objective. I decided to drill a hole into the center of each piece at the break and then press a splined steel rod into the holes. I carefully drilled a hole in the center of each broken halve with a 9/64” drill about 3/8” deep. I then cut a piece of a grooved concrete nail about 11/16” long (a little less than 2X the hole depth) and chamfered the ends to help get it started in the holes. I then pressed the section of nail tightly into one piece until it bottomed and then carefully rotationally aligned the other piece and pressed it on until the gap closed. The grooves on the concrete nail act like splines which transmit torque across the break. The repaired rod was satisfactorily robust. For reference the concrete nail that used was about .155” in diameter allowing for a good interference fit in the 9/64(.141”) drilled holes. It is important to get the holes drilled in the center and parallel to the axis of the rod pieces. A drill press, caliper, scribe and center punch were very helpful for this operation. The concrete nails are hardened steel, so a cutoff wheel or grinder is the preferred way to cut them.

Installation of the repaired rod back into the ignition was a bit tricky. After aligning the integral key near the bottom of the rod with the keyway in the hole at the bottom, the rod must then be inserted a little further and rotated to the position as shown in the video, otherwise the column lock won’t release and the key cylinder cannot be inserted far enough for the spring loaded pin to lock into the hole on the barrel. I had to watch the video again after fighting with it for a while.

My wife was able to drive Cruiser to work the next morning with no problems. I did end up ordering some replacement rods off e-bay to have in case this repaired rod ever breaks in another location or this issue happens to one of our other Cruisers. I think I’ll just put one in the bottom of the center console of each Cruiser next to the spare coil and OBD II reader.

I hope this might help someone else get out of a bind or provide some food for thought for ignition rod repair options.

1. Rod broken at cam.JPG

2. Drilling upper section.JPG

3, Drilling lower section.JPG

4. Drilled pieces and grooved concrete nail.JPG

5. Repair mock up with section of nail.JPG

This past Sunday afternoon I got a call from my wife that the ignition key was just rotating freely in her 2000 Land Cruiser without being able to start it. From reading posts on this forum I had a pretty good idea what the culprit was and watched the YouTube video someone made about replacing the broken ignition cylinder barrel rod.

Some members have posted about being able to jam a socket over a stub sticking up on the lower broken section of the rod and start it up and drive away. Unfortunately in my case the rod broke right at the lower cam and there was no stub sticking up to grab. Fishing the lower broken bit out was a challenge to say the least and I ended up having to taking the two screws out of the switch to move it out of the way and provide access to the tip of the rod. This rod needed to be rotated to align the integral key on it with the slot in the bore so it could be pushed free. Even then, it was still a challenge to finish fishing the short broken piece out from above, as it fell sideways and the spring loaded column lock mechanism near the bottom was in the way. A good flashlight, long screwdriver and wire with a hooked end along with several attempts were required to fish it out. After removal of the broken piece, I reinstalled the switch and two screws at the bottom. I also installed the black ring at the top and plugged the socket back in as I believe it may be part of the security system. I was able to start the vehicle by sliding a long flat blade medium size screwdriver down into the slot of the switch and turning clockwise while holding the key near the top of the hole to disable the security system. After the motor was started, it was necessary to pull the screwdriver out some and use the tip of it to push the spring loaded steering column lock mechanism to one side to free the steering wheel lock. While carefully holding it in the unlocked position I was able to drive it back home. I skipped removal of the driver’s seat as shown in the video as it was unnecessary.

Of course on a Sunday evening there was no way to get a replacement rod, so I considered some repair options. The rod appears to be made from some die cast zinc based alloy, which is likely not friendly to weld and I don’t think I would even trust the special solders for zinc in this application. Most of the loads on the rod are torsional, so a repair that was good at resisting torque loads was the primary objective. I decided to drill a hole into the center of each piece at the break and then press a splined steel rod into the holes. I carefully drilled a hole in the center of each broken halve with a 9/64” drill about 3/8” deep. I then cut a piece of a grooved concrete nail about 11/16” long (a little less than 2X the hole depth) and chamfered the ends to help get it started in the holes. I then pressed the section of nail tightly into one piece until it bottomed and then carefully rotationally aligned the other piece and pressed it on until the gap closed. The grooves on the concrete nail act like splines which transmit torque across the break. The repaired rod was satisfactorily robust. For reference the concrete nail that used was about .155” in diameter allowing for a good interference fit in the 9/64(.141”) drilled holes. It is important to get the holes drilled in the center and parallel to the axis of the rod pieces. A drill press, caliper, scribe and center punch were very helpful for this operation. The concrete nails are hardened steel, so a cutoff wheel or grinder is the preferred way to cut them.

Installation of the repaired rod back into the ignition was a bit tricky. After aligning the integral key near the bottom of the rod with the keyway in the hole at the bottom, the rod must then be inserted a little further and rotated to the position as shown in the video, otherwise the column lock won’t release and the key cylinder cannot be inserted far enough for the spring loaded pin to lock into the hole on the barrel. I had to watch the video again after fighting with it for a while.

My wife was able to drive Cruiser to work the next morning with no problems. I did end up ordering some replacement rods off e-bay to have in case this repaired rod ever breaks in another location or this issue happens to one of our other Cruisers. I think I’ll just put one in the bottom of the center console of each Cruiser next to the spare coil and OBD II reader.

I hope this might help someone else get out of a bind or provide some food for thought for ignition rod repair options.

View attachment 2805213

View attachment 2805214

View attachment 2805215

View attachment 2805216

View attachment 2805217

You held the steering lock mechanism with a screwdriver and drove home? Holy cow. I move 1ft and try to hold it with a flathead and it locks up immediately. Trying to figure out how to keep that mechanism out of the way so I can drive 90mi home.

What percentage of these break? Should everyone get a spare?

The replacement rods I purchased had number #7850B cast into them. Note: You cannot buy just the rod from the dealer. I got mine off ebay. Also be aware that the Lexus LX use a slightly different rod with a different number. As an update, the rod I repaired is still in the wife's cruiser and going strong.

This happened to me last year. Im pretty sure (90%) that this is what I bought. #7853A

I looked on eBay and these are for cruisers with manual steering- non telescoping wheel. I don’t see another option

I wanted a spare to carry, but after reading a bunch of threads I couldn’t get a solid answer on LC/LX and year vs casting number. I ended up pulling mine out to make sure I got the right one. Plus I figured if it ever does break I’ll be glad I had the practice run.

I wanted a spare to carry, but after reading a bunch of threads I couldn’t get a solid answer on LC/LX and year vs casting number. I ended up pulling mine out to make sure I got the right one. Plus I figured if it ever does break I’ll be glad I had the practice run.
Did yours ever break?

In the twelve minutes that elapsed between his post and yours?
No- did his ignition ever break- he bought a spare long ago just in case, I was curious if he ever needed it. I’m just curious how many of these really break.

No- did his ignition ever break- he bought a spare long ago just in case, I was curious if he ever needed it. I’m just curious how many of these really break.
They all break...and at the worst time and place you can imagine. Don't just keep a spare...change it out now at your convenience and use your old one as a spare. The new part from Toyota (not the cheap ones from ebay) has added material to make it stronger and less likely to break. Buy once, cry once. Get the real Toyota part, install it and use your old one as a spare.

What is the Toyota part number? 7853A doesn't cut it. LX470, power column. Or is this:
Amazon product ASIN B0921C9567at a bill, the only option we really have?

I only ask because I've already had to replace the heater T's and the brake MC/pump. So, thought I would get ahead of the next one in line.

They all break...and at the worst time and place you can imagine. Don't just keep a spare...change it out now at your convenience and use your old one as a spare. The new part from Toyota (not the cheap ones from ebay) has added material to make it stronger and less likely to break. Buy once, cry once. Get the real Toyota part, install it and use your old one as a spare.
Just the answer I was looking for- I didn’t know Toyota had a revised part- I’ll get it ordered. Thank you!

What is the Toyota part number? 7853A doesn't cut it. LX470, power column. Or is this:
Amazon product ASIN B0921C9567at a bill, the only option we really have?

I only ask because I've already had to replace the heater T's and the brake MC/pump. So, thought I would get ahead of the next one in line.

Incorrect part. It's not the lock cylinder that breaks. It is called: BRACKET ASSY, STEERING COLUMN, UPPER

The correct part for earlier trucks with manual tilt is: 45280-60460 $200-ish depending on where you look
The correct part for later trucks with electric auto-tilt is: 45280-60610 $300-ish depending on where you look

As it has been said many times before, it is a shame that the majority of this assembly is not needed. The only piece that is needed is the twisty-camshaft-looking rod that goes down the middle of the tube. That is the part that breaks. Unfortunately, Toyota sells the whole assembly as one part.

Last edited:
Anyone No how to remove the cylinder on 2004 and up models? In the video linked here he had a hole in the bottom he pushed a screwdriver up in and turned the key, it looks like the procedure is different, my 2004 doesn’t have that hole underneath

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom