Broken down in idaho forest steering drag link end popped (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jmcclusk

SILVER Star
Threads
Anyone have any advice for what to do here? Just replaced the original tie rod ends 2 years ago and it broke already just doing logging roads! :/ its the barrel shaped one with the ball socket coming out the side. I have it held together with hose clamps now. Advanced autoparts in missoula said they could probably get the part but to call back tomorrow. That's a 4 hr drive I could borrow a friend's car to do, I'm just wondering if there is a part crossover that might work just fine but is not listed. It really just needs the same thread on the rod end and a right angle ball socket... does anyone know the thread pitch on this?
20200830_103523.jpg

Anyone have any advice for what to do here? Just replaced the original tie rod ends 2 years ago and it broke already just doing logging roads! :/ its the barrel shaped one with the ball socket coming out the side. I have it held together with hose clamps now. Advanced autoparts in missoula said they could probably get the part but to call back tomorrow. That's a 4 hr drive I could borrow a friend's car to do, I'm just wondering if there is a part crossover that might work just fine but is not listed. It really just needs the same thread on the rod end and a right angle ball socket... does anyone know the thread pitch on this? View attachment 2420828

Boy oh boy oh boy this is really difficult for you. Maybe if you found some solid wire such as hanger wire but I doubt you have and using battery cables you could weld those two pieces together. Well I've never heard of this remind me that if I ever do this that I would tack weld one small area so this would never happen

Anyone have any advice for what to do here? Just replaced the original tie rod ends 2 years ago and it broke already just doing logging roads! :/ its the barrel shaped one with the ball socket coming out the side. I have it held together with hose clamps now. Advanced autoparts in missoula said they could probably get the part but to call back tomorrow. That's a 4 hr drive I could borrow a friend's car to do, I'm just wondering if there is a part crossover that might work just fine but is not listed. It really just needs the same thread on the rod end and a right angle ball socket... does anyone know the thread pitch on this? View attachment 2420828

hope this helps .............. :)

1598874886284.png

Hope your off trail by now but wrapping a ratchet strap in a figure 8 and wrapping it with gorilla/Duct tape will probably get you. Keep to
the side of the road, low speed hazards on. Best of luck to you.
:beer:

Where are you at in Idaho? I'm south of CDA about an hour. Napa doesn't even show that part in our system, and the other tie rod ends are pretty much unobtanium. If your near me I may have another option, our could offer help with tools/shop space or a tow with my PU and trailer.
PM with a message for a phone number.

Thanks for the replies everyone, I got it hobbled together enough to limp it into Lewiston where the Toyota Dealership there flew out the parts from Portland. FYI, the diagram the dealerships use has part numbers mixed up for the upper end of the relay link and the lower end... which led to a second day of waiting for Parts. The guy showed me the diagram and then the system they use has the numbers switched! Anyways, real lesson here is to go out right now before you forget and check the steering links for cotter pins on the ends of the connecting links and all the nuts while youre at it. After adjusting the new one and the upper one, the steering so was so smooth and nice! haha, I had been living with a loose link progressively worse for a while now... Anyways, thanks! and carry spares! and lots of bailing wire!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom