Broken bolt/lifter cover (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I removed my lifter cover on my 2f to reseal it, and I have a broken 6mm bolt in the block. Curious what you all think, should I just forget about it and go about my day, or try and remove it? Welding a nut to it is probably not an option, right? I tried drilling it for an easy out, but the hole is off center more than I want it to be, it's really not penetrating the bolt at all, and then I broke the tiny drill bit.

This faster is at the front, closest to the water pump, on the very front of the block.

20230721_180311.jpg

20230721_175936.jpg

With a mig welder tack a nut to a flat washer, then tack the middle of the nut to the broken nub.
My worry was that I would weld the stud to the block.....not a concern? I've done this on exhaust manifold studs on AL heads, and it worked great!!

My worry was that I would weld the stud to the block.....not a concern? I've done this on exhaust manifold studs on AL heads, and it worked great!!

Use a washer with a hole smaller than the bolt diameter.

Also if you have a good center punch and a good set of hard steel bits, you could recenter that drill hole and get it out.

Whatever you do, patience will pay off.

If you've got the drill bit back out, you could try again with a left handed drill bit (sometimes with the friction heat they will suddenly spin out).
An End Mill might be a bit more forgiving if it's into the threads - again LH preferably.
You want to build up heat rather than rush to drill a hole, so even just using a snapped off drill bit shank, or length of 3mm bar with the drill in reverse might pop it out with a bit of perseverance. You'll need some weight on it for that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom