brodie/suicide knobs - safe? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My first gear is a little bit tired so I generally have to keep my hand on the shifter. Without power steering it can be damn hard to spin the steering wheel when moving in or out of parking spaces with one hand...

A "suicide" knob would help a TON, but I keep hearing that they have a reputation for being dangerous. Any experience/opinions?

i have had a few on rigs over the years and never had any problems. my dad put one on his truck after rotator cup surgery and also never had any problems. and we have them on the big Case loaders at work and never had a problem loading dump trucks or moving material around.

The last time I looked into it they were against the law in CA. You can find them and use them for boats and fork lifts. They are dangerous though. Off roading or just bump a curb and the wheel spins a little and you might end up with a broken wrist. My dad only had one hand and he wouldn't use one. I thought it would be perfect for him but he said no way. I occasionally use one on a fork lift and I have to be careful that my long sleeve shirt doesn't hang up on the knob. But they do have a cool factor on the older vehicles. I remember seeing one on my Grandpaws pickup back in the late 50's. Couldn't tell you what type pickup it was or even the color but the knob was cool.

Rod

spinners are sweet , i like them on loaders and forklifts . would be nice on the 40 but it would probably break my wrist .

i would fix or replace the tranny , you could probably pick one up for a couple hundred dollars . working , or just get a Saginaw setup , you wont regret it .

not what you wanted to hear im sure .

why do you think they call them suicied knobs ,plus they are illegal in most states .

They work great. Especially if you have power steering.

I prefer the cheap looking small plastic ones versus the larger knobs for tractors etc. I have small hands.

Definitely help w/ parking spaces etc. Just don't whack your elbow on the door:)

No safety issues since I've been using them in late '80s on many trucks/40s. I actually like to leave mine a touch loose on the wheel. It won't slide around, but I can spin it inward and out of the way. The screws will bite into the wheel a little so if you have a perfect steering wheel you might scratch it.

I used them on many a dump truck, loaders, etc that had no or very poor assist.

I ran one for a very short time on a stock 40 with no powersteering back in the day. Rod hit the nail on the head. At low speeds hit a curb, rock or anything similar and it will cause the steering wheel to rapidly rotate. To someone inexperienced the nob and knowing to get their hands out of the way fast, it becomes a weapon. One good wack and I took that thing off so fast....

Not sure on the legality. If not, just one more example of big brother thinking he knows what's best for us.

My grandpa Red always had one on whatever Oldsmobile he was driving in the 50s and 60s. He only had one eye, (the other was glass) and he drove like a bat outa hell. Guess the have their place, as in "drive fast and take chances!" :grinpimp:

I believe the reason they were (or are) illegal was due the the damage they did to the drivers chest in a crash back before the invention of shoulder belts. I've run them without concern for the law on old, non power steering rigs. I've been pulled over for other reasons and the officer seemed more interested in other things. When you are driving a 40 year old, heavy, long wheelbase rig without power steering that needs six turns lock to lock in order to get the mechanical advantage to allow you to turn, a spinner is a real aid to getting your latte at the drive through.

Standard, thumbs out of the way, warnings apply, especially off road.

Brodie???? Suicide Nob?????

I've always known them as idiot nobs back from driving an early 70's fork lift in england

Never thought I'd find a use for one but it actually works great on my full hydro rig. No kickback so no danger of busted wrist. Speeds steering at low rpm and makes on handed driving much easier. On a non-power assist rig I'd have to say NO!

My local Kragen/O'Reilly auto parts has them in CA Knob

Thats really surprising, hmm.

I've been paying attention as I've been driving these last few days, trying to gauge when it would be great to have one and when it'd be dangerous. I think there is some self control required, but I'm going to give it a go, at least temporarily. I'll let you know each time my wrist breaks. :eek:

They work great. Especially if you have power steering.

I prefer the cheap looking small plastic ones versus the larger knobs for tractors etc. I have small hands.

Definitely help w/ parking spaces etc. Just don't whack your elbow on the door:)

No safety issues since I've been using them in late '80s on many trucks/40s. I actually like to leave mine a touch loose on the wheel. It won't slide around, but I can spin it inward and out of the way. The screws will bite into the wheel a little so if you have a perfect steering wheel you might scratch it.

JC Whitney actually offers one where the knob pivots in when you don’t need to use it.

When I was a youngster my older sisters boyfriend had one that was liquid filled like a snow globe. It had a picture of a busty gal in it and as it rotated, her top would float off and on. I always thought it was why they called them suicide knobs.

9 year old thread!!

Better late than never :hillbilly:
54CAACA8-6FCD-4298-90CE-8D78D8C29DD5.jpeg

9 year old thread!!

Better late than never :hillbilly:View attachment 1749829

Did it have a 91-94 80 series steering wheel when you bought it?
Biggest problem I have is my projects sit around too long. For my FJ45 picked up a FJ60 steering wheel, then one from a FJ62, then a leather one from a 94 80 series. When I finally get around to it will end up with 8/80+ 4X series steering wheel which not sure how or where I got them but now have four of them.:bang:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom