Breaking questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

dannyvp

SILVER Star
Threads
84 fj60
31” BFG Tires

My truck as purchased has El Dorado rear disk brakes. The truck stops fine, but seems to be a little spongy . The e brake is useless.

my goal is a working e

I put it on a lift today and actuating the rear parking Brake all the way by hand, will not stop the tires from spinning.

questions.
I have never had land cruiser with drum brakes, but they can’t be this bad. Is stopping-distance the problems with drum brakes? Why is it a problem?

I haven’t found a tread on here with someone with working ebrakes with the rear El Dorado brakes. Am I just missing the solution?

I’m thinking about going back to drum brakes.

While rear disc brakes have their pluses when integrated into a new vehicle at the factory — Toyota still uses rear drum brakes on their current Tacomas and they have no plans to change that (according to a Tacoma engineer interviewed on YouTube). Rear drums when working properly have a lot of good qualities. Worn out and malfunctioning ones suck.

Technically drum brakes have way more braking power than a similar sized disk. The problem with drums is they don’t self clean and they don’t dissipate heat as well as a disc. You could go back to stock drums and get a good brake again. I’m not familiar with your disc setup

Is there specific drums I should be looking for?
Ways to tell them apart?

How does your parking brake actuate the rear discs? Modern vehicles with discs all around usually have a small set of shoes on the rear that are specific to the parking brake.

Generic image of an F150 parking/disc brake from autozone
1608778367943.png

There is a lever on the side of the brakes. When this is actuated it applies the brake. (I assume) like I said, it barely works.

I don’t know if this is legal where you are but some trucks of old had a drum or disk brake on the back of the transmission. Works well as a parking break or ebrake as long as your drive shaft stays connected.

I don’t know if this is legal where you are but some trucks of old had a drum or disk brake on the back of the transmission. Works well as a parking break or ebrake as long as your drive shaft stays connected.

i saw those. It might just be easier to go to a well working drum brake.

My ex had a 2013 Jeep that would roll back in the driveway. It happened at least six times that I witnessed. Twice while I was in the truck. It was still under warranty and I brought it back to the dealer every time. By the last time I was livid with their bs answers and non-action. Finally the guy who actually holds the wrench came out and told me “the are seeing this happen often and they’re not sure why or what to do about it”. He explained to me that the parking brake system used a pin that would detent into the output shaft in the transfer case and for some reason it’s popping out, rolling a few inches, catches again and stops. I told him you better get on this because there are kids playing in the streets where I park this thing. I stopped driving that thing and bought a 60 for myself. Never did hear anything else on that problem.

My ex had a 2013 Jeep that would roll back in the driveway. It happened at least six times that I witnessed. Twice while I was in the truck. It was still under warranty and I brought it back to the dealer every time. By the last time I was livid with their bs answers and non-action. Finally the guy who actually holds the wrench came out and told me “the are seeing this happen often and they’re not sure why or what to do about it”. He explained to me that the parking brake system used a pin that would detent into the output shaft in the transfer case and for some reason it’s popping out, rolling a few inches, catches again and stops. I told him you better get on this because there are kids playing in the streets where I park this thing. I stopped driving that thing and bought a 60 for myself. Never did hear anything else on that problem.

I have a 70’s Land Rover with a drum brake between the output of the trans and the drive shaft. It uses shoes just like the stock 60 rear brakes and it works quite well. But I could easily see how a pin and detentions system would be an opportunity for failure.

Pull the wheels off of that joker and post up some pictures. I'm betting that you just need to adjust the system or put some fresh shoes on it. It's worth taking apart and having a look before you start throwing parts at it.

Calipers and brake pads would be MUCH easier to work on than drums and shoes, but looks like there are some concerns about keeping those GM brakes adjusted.

I wouldn't spend the $$ to change over to discs, but If I were you and they were already there, I would research on beefing them up as opposed to spending $ to replace with drums.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom