Fuel delivery questions (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
On my 86 FJ60 with original 2F. I have completed my desmog per the forums instruction.great job on the info it was very helpful. Runs tons better at idle. However, I took her on about a 10 mile test drive and she still starts to buck and stumble at interstate speed. I am assuming this is a carburetor issue where a needle valve is sticking and restricting fuel flow at higher demands. Once this starts I could barely get it home. I notice a couple things. A little bit of choke helps a little. It is worse going up a steep hill even in first gear. It died on the hill in front of the shop and would not restart until I rolled it to a flat place. I have a rebuilt carb on the way and I have questions about the fuel pump’s performance but don’t want to start throwing parts at it. What ideas do you guys have?

You could disconnect the fuel line to the carburetor and place it into a separate container; then crank the engine and see if a consistent fuel flow is present.
However, I experienced similar symptoms years ago on the 2F in my 40- it was the fuel pump.

HTH

Shut it off when it happens and check the filter and the carb sight glass for fuel.

What’s the timing set at? Any pics of engine bay?

Since you did a desmog, figure out which wire in the emission control unit is the ground wire to the idle circuit solenoid and ground it to the body. This eliminates a possible intermittent connection while running causing running problems.

Another observation. Once it starts running rough it doesn’t really stop. Let it sit for a while and it starts and runs fine. I theorize it is related to temp and it needs to get warm enough for the problem to emerge.

have you tried running with the gas cap loose? maybe the tank isn't breathing

It is worse going up a steep hill even in first gear.

These exact same symptoms happened to my 2F (1500 miles down in nowhere’s ville Mexico).

Eventually I discovered what was causing the problem - after limping home and taking the carburetor apart.
There was a little piece of junk drifting around inside the float bowl that would intermittently block the main jet. Driving up a hill made the problem worse because the jets are at the back end of the float bowl, so any debris in there drifts downward into the jet.
The piece of debris was very small but bigger than the jet hole - so it couldn’t get sucked through.

Supposedly the fuel filter and needle valve strainer are supposed to prevent this from happening- but there it was.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom