Brat Pack FJ60 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I guess it is time for me to start a build thread here.

I got into Cruisers quite by accident. I have been a Jeep, Samurai, and 4x4 guy for about 15 years. I had dabbled in Toyota mini trucks with a clean 82 Longbed and a few parts trucks but that was about it. Well, almost three years ago now I became part of a "blended" family of sorts. Between my girlfriend and I we have six kids to tote around. Early in our relationship I introduced her and her kiddos to wheeling, and all were fans. This led to a several month search for some sort of rig we could pack eight people in. All U.S. build SUV's of eight passenger variety were just too big, and the "smaller" rigs that could have a third row added like Wagoneers had too low of a roof for the third row kiddos to sit comfortably.

One day while driving down the road I spotted an old FJ60 for sale. I was only vaguely familiar with them. Growing up only 40 miles from the motor city, Toyotas are not a common sight. Well anyways, this thing was dented, rusty, and just big enough! Add to that it was a manual, so it was perfect! It had a Weber carb conversion with a header and was desmogged already. It also had a supposed 4 inch Old Man Emu lift kit (I think it might be less than 4 inches). I drove it home for $775 and almost immediately recouped half my money by selling the All-terrains it was wearing.

Here it was the day we got it, almost two years ago.

2ihtqo1.jpg

The interior was almost spotless with only a small rip in the drivers seat.

18z05g.jpg

Completely ignorant to the value of a restorable FJ60 we slapped on a used roof rack from another project and a set of mostly worn out 35 inch pro-comps. An 80's suburban rear seat fit in perfectly. A friend that owned a 4x4 shop got me a decent deal on a set of 5.29 Yukon gears and I picked up a used lock-right locker for the front. I set up the gears, and welded the rear, and we were good to go! We wheeled the old girl hard for a year in this form, and the Cruiser bug was now in full infestation!

Here is where the passenger side received a good 3 inch crush in.

aypr9t.jpg

Our crew doing best not to freeze on a winter run.

8z1uf6.jpg

This rig was basically a budget build out of necessity and to see if the kids liked wheeling. In between off times at work I was able to do some bartering for a set of 37 inch Swamper Boggers. I also took an old rusty chunk of 6x6 tubing and started forming it into a bumper for the front.

4qk1w1.jpg

I went through an old 8274 from my first wheeling rig. Instead of having a bumper that stuck way out front I chose to cut the bottom of the grille and valance out to push it almost to the radiator.

25rgs5t.jpg

The power steering pump gave up, so I cut off the old brackets from the 2F and molded mid 80's Chevy truck Saginaw brackets into it. This new pump made one finger steering with the Boggers a breeze.

2hwh5ed.jpg

Our last wheeling trip late last winter it did great, but had room for improvement. Twice over the last two years I have busted the welded rear diff, and the last time took out everything including the 5.29 gears. In the meantime I pulled the 4.10s from my FJ62 parts rig to drive it, but I have big plans!

Lastly, speaking of the bug, I now have 3 parts rigs, two FJ60's and one FJ62. The 62 Gave up its mirrors and dash grab handle as well. And when our daily driver Ford Excursion started to get a bit too worn out we bought a 3xlocked Lexus LX450. We are quickly becoming Cruiser addicts!

2sbu9zp.jpg

This thing needs overdrive! After a year of occasional daily driving it was time. I battled with the decision how to do it, H55, NV4500, engine swap, etc. I decided I like my 2F, and started a long search for an H55. They are hard to find for a decent price!

Yesterday we took a day trip up to Toronto and picked up an H55 with crossmember and driveshafts from a HJ60 that was being parted out. I also grabbed a salvageable pass rear door. The whole shebang set me back $1,300 Canadian, which is about $900 US.

smwndu.jpg

A few weeks ago we were doing some mild wheeling in the Lexus and ran across a fellow mud member on a road trip. His truck is what cemented my decision to go H55.

2ql4o4h.jpg

You must live in Michigan when you go to Canada for body parts in better condition!

Good for you - fighting the good fight of owning Toyotas in such a climate. I grew up in Midland, MI, and the only FJ40 I ever saw in high school had grapefruit-sized rust holes in it when it was ~6 years old.

Great photos. Your kids look like they are having fun, and that matters a lot!

Wow that interior is clean!

Great work on the truck so far. Awesome to see the enjoyment you and your family are getting from it. Only $775, plus a few more dollars :grinpimp:

My Dad has a house up in da UP now eh. I need to visit as the years go on.

Nothing better than a family having fun in a 60. Enjoy!

Yes we are Michiganders! And thanks guys! This has been a great multi-purpose family rig. Currently the 16 year old has been driving it around town to learn on a manual. I figure it doesn't matter if he hurts it with the H55 swap coming soon.

Wow that interior is clean!

Great work on the truck so far. Awesome to see the enjoyment you and your family are getting from it. Only $775, plus a few more dollars :grinpimp:

My Dad has a house up in da UP now eh. I need to visit as the years go on.
Thank you and for sure! I have a place in Munising and it is a great area!

Today's acquisition was two parts FJ60's from some people I met on a wheeling run. Both run, but are in rough shape, and one had no axles. Being 200 miles away a plan was hatched to haul up a pair of my spare axles, bolt them in the axleless rig, put that one on my trailer, and have my buddy Jason drive the other one home.

Arriving this morning we got to work right away and with all five of us working on it we had the one rolling and steering in just over an hour. We loaded up, fueled up, and headed for home.

Stopping for a taste of indigestion at Ponderosa we enjoyed a lunch of chewy cold food before continuing on. Pulling out of the driveway in my Lexus with loaded trailer in tow I all of a sudden heard a screech and a boom and was launched forward. Hopping out I found a grey FJ60 crunched into the back of my trailer. Evidently both a front AND a rear brake line burst at the same time. The screech was my buddy trying to shut it off in gear but it was too late. Fortunately everyone was OK. I decided not to call my insurance about my own vehicle rear ending me.

I called up the seller and asked if they had a trailer by any chance. They did and sent down their son immediately. They are hauling it back home until I can return next week. They are good people!

Here she is:

3d11745f822052bfb5353580fe40a0a7.jpg

And the other parts one at home:

1fb76f92640f93ef29b13f4900c63025.jpg

To drive the black one off the trailer I needed to hook up a driveshaft. Unfortunately the roller axles I brought came from an FJ62 so the flange was larger. I drilled it out to the smaller FJ60 pattern.

I
cfc72500de1e1ec0af38be9006048848.jpg

Unloading the brakeless rig I was careful, but not careful enough in the dark to slip a tire on the ramp just enough to slash a sidewall. It's been a long day!

Started the H55f swap the other day, as well as the rear end rebuild. Pulled the bellhousing to check the cam plug, as they are known to leak on the 2F engine. It looked fine but the rear main was seeping so I'm installing a new one.

f27b77fbabb138a0c3cbaba10b7f263f.jpg

The lines for the rear heater look a bit crusty. Thinking about replacing them.

e9b8046e8d87809913c07d97b64f9d71.jpg

What a mess!

The H55 came with a vacuum shift T-case and I want mechanical, so I'm splitting apart my stock one. The H55 is a bit longer, because my truck is a pre-oct 84 build. So some shifter modification will be required. I may be able to rob parts from my 86 parts truck too. We'll see!

a1d079536a26aac5cc3f71a89238b72a.jpg

The 86 transfer shifter will bolt up.

Is that coolant leaking out of that heater line?!

Trans is in, and with a manual t-case. I used the stock 84 case, swapped flanges for the large ones off the vacuum case, and used the t-case shift linkage off the 86 parts truck. Because of my pre-Oct 84 truck with a short trans, the stock shifter wouldn't work. The H55 is basically the same as the stock four speed but has this external overdrive box. You can see the long bolt on top. I needed a few of the longer bolts from the newer t-case.

11e860b3fe5992231d37edc5a7b5783b.jpg

When I had everything apart I replaced the main seal between the trans and case.

7dad865d40810ef7d67dd289e7626da8.jpg

Several online write-ups claim the trans shift tower hole is too far forward on the pre-Oct 84 floor hump. I did not find this to be the case, but I did find the t-case lever was. Using the 86 lever worked out without having to cut the floor. I did notice my trans cover is white, apparently off another truck (possibly newer) but the 86 and H55 parts truck shifter boots were a different shape so I retained my "possibly original" 84 boot.

85990f7aff8ea9382d7b23e6f5de460f.jpg

Stock narrow style trans crossmember bolted right up. Plenty of clearance for the front driveshaft too, which also is not the case on other peoples trucks.

Lastly, I discarded the unneeded tin "braces" for the T-case linkage as they really were just in the way. But for some reason I gained a 2wd low range position. Maybe this is shifter adjustment? Seems to work so I'll probably leave it alone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom