Brand New 2020 year LHD 70 Series to USA (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks for the explanation. That makes sense and some great info. I want a 70 series pickup and will pull the trigger at some point. So exploring options. This helps.

Given that its motor is US emissions compliant (i.e. federalized), one could argue that it meets EPA requirements (assuming all the original emissions control equipment is in place), but you'd have a hard time convincing the NHTSA that all those body parts meet US FMVSS (hint: they don't).

Of course it can be registered for use in many US states, but it's still in violation of several Federal Statutes. Not a huge risk of Federal prosecution, but not zero.

Last edited:

This story gained traction very quickly buts it’s my understanding that only one Defender was crushed (evidenced by the video). I’ve read where ALL of the other vehicles were returned (after some litigation) to their owners.

Is there any way that a brand new 70 series would pass DOT and EPA requirements? Or is there another way to get a brand new street-able 70 series into the USA? I am interested in the 4.5L diesel spec models. I am not sure if it helps, but I am located in Florida, no emissions or inspections here. Lol. I see a number of R34 Skylines driving around. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for your help.

Here are a few link of brand new models:
Get a girlfriend in the DR have her buy it and have her drive it in to the country but it has to leave with her when she leaves. If it doesn't it’s on her. Hell a 70 is not easy to get regardless.

Is there any way that a brand new 70 series would pass DOT and EPA requirements? Or is there another way to get a brand new street-able 70 series into the USA? I am interested in the 4.5L diesel spec models. I am not sure if it helps, but I am located in Florida, no emissions or inspections here. Lol. I see a number of R34 Skylines driving around. 🤷‍♂️ Thanks for your help.

Yes just have a illegal drive it in through the border hell it’s wide open

How about for off road use only, such as on a farm or ranch?
In order to legally import a vehicle to the US, you need to complete a DOT declaration form HS-7. On that form are a number of options where you can declare either: that the vehicle you are importing is compliant with US regulations; or why you should be allowed to import it if it’s not. Most imports fall under provision 1, which says that the vehicle is over 25 years old and thus exempt from DOT/NHTSA regulation.
The only option on the HS-7 that applies to off-road vehicles is number 8. By checking box 8 you would be declaring that your new 70-series Landcruiser was “not manufactured for use on public roads”, when of course it was manufactured primarily for use on public roads. In other words, you’d need to lie to the federal authorities, which is otherwise known as perjuring yourself. It’s a felony.
Would you get caught? Maybe. Are you comfortable with that type of risk? Some folks are.
No need to register it at all.
Registration is governed by each individual state. Importing is governed by the US Federal government. Two separate entities. You can be in compliance with one and in violation of the other.

Look, if a guy wants to get a brand new 70-series into the US, there are ways to get it across the border, and there are ways to register/plate it (or not). But none of it is legal if that guy wants to keep it here, drive it, and maybe one day sell it.

There’s no workaround short of smuggling.

Is it easier to import to Canada before bringing it to the USA?
Not sure if anyone addressed this previously, so here you go:

Our laws exempt 15 years old and older, but it’s a hard no on new. You would still be stymied by the USAs 25 year exemption if it were a Canadian titled vehicle.

I’ve seen a few modern hiluxes around North Carolina. Some used by Mexican university students who brought their car from Mexico. Not sure if that is even legal but pretty sure they just drove their cars up and got some sort of temporary use exemption. Not sure if you can do that with hiluxes. Buy some property in Mexico and just drive it back every couple months or so for the exemption.

Obviously I’m just talking out of my butt because I know nothing about the logistics of this strategy or even if there are supposed to be hiluxes in North Carolina but I’m just saying what I’ve seen

I’ve seen a few modern hiluxes around North Carolina. Some used by Mexican university students who brought their car from Mexico. Not sure if that is even legal but pretty sure they just drove their cars up and got some sort of temporary use exemption. Not sure if you can do that with hiluxes. Buy some property in Mexico and just drive it back every couple months or so for the exemption.

Obviously I’m just talking out of my butt because I know nothing about the logistics of this strategy or even if there are supposed to be hiluxes in North Carolina but I’m just saying what I’ve seen
Definitely legal to use foreign registered vehicles in the US, though there is a time restriction (1 year IIRC?) and then they have to go back. Not sure for how long or when it would be eligible to return. I see quite a few tourists, mainly from Europe, traveling through Montana in 70-series and big Mercedes, Deutz and MAN trucks.

Definitely legal to use foreign registered vehicles in the US, though there is a time restriction

Yup. You'll find the information in section 5 of the previously mentioned DOT HS-7 declaration form. All of the following conditions must be met:
1. you must be a non-resident of the US and the vehicle must be registered in a country other than the US
2. you're importing the vehicle for personal use not to exceed one year, and you won't sell it while it's here
3. you'll export it after no more than a year, and you'll provide your non-US passport information

There are also options for members of foreign military services or other members of foreign governments to bring their own cars (HS-7 box 12 or 6), but the requirements are more or less the same.

Buy some property in Mexico and just drive it back every couple months or so for the exemption.

That would work if you resided in Mexico, had a Mexican passport, and the car was registered in Mexico. Same would be true for Canada or any other country on the globe, but as a resident citizen of the USA, it's pretty hard to meet all 3 of the requirements.

If you can get a foreign citizen (Mexican or otherwise) to "loan" you their car for a year at a time, you might be able to get it done. Requirement #1 is met if your foreign friend is the one crossing the border (or entering the port) with the car. Requirement #2 could be read in such a way that it doesn't explicitly say that the owner of the car is the one who is going to using it while it's here, it just says "personal use". Could be anybody's personal use if you want to quibble. And requirement #3 is met if your foreign friend exports the car after you've used it for a year. It might work, but you and your foreign friend would need a lot of mutual trust.

Yes there's some ways:
1: dreaming, actually you can dream what ever you want to DRIVE 😂
2: waiting 25 years 🤣
3: Working in a country that it has land cruiser 70 series 😏

Good luck 🤞

Not sure how they get past EPA form 3520-1 which must also be submitted with DOT Form HS-7:

1706045237372.png

Not saying they can't get them through customs but frankly, I question the legality.

Not sure how they get past EPA form 3520-1 which must also be submitted with DOT Form HS-7:
I think what they're probably doing is declaring to the US authorities that the car is somehow over 25 years old (because it has one 25 year old part, i.e. the frame). Complete nonsense, of course, and it's not legal, like, at all. If that body was manufactured in 2023, it would need to meet all of the US Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that were in effect in 2023 to be legal here. HInt: It doesn't.
Not saying they can't get them through customs but frankly, I question the legality.
US Customs doesn't have the manpower or the bandwidth to catch everything. Not even close. I've said it before, but getting something illegal past Customs doesn't make it legal, it just makes you a smuggler.

If I understand the video correctly, the seller will take your $150,000, then go looking for a beat up old Colombian 70-series and a new Gulf-spec Landcruiser to "morph" together for you. In about 10 months, you get to pick up your "new" car in Florida, complete with Florida plates. Hey, if a buyer's got money to burn, and he's fine with the risk of forfeiture and criminal prosecution, then why not?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom