Brakes seem to stick when I release pedal ... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Brakes seem to stick when I slowly come to a stop and release brake pedal. Rotors are not warped. I replaced the front disc pads thinking that would solve the issue but it continues even after replacing brake pads.

Got any suggestions?

Take a look at the caliper slide pins; clean old grease out and off pins, reapply a ceramic type grease like CRC Silaramic.

Do you mean these pins?
I did not clean or grease these when I installed the pads.

201805-008.jpg

When you say "stick" you mean they are still slowing the vehicle Or they just make a sound?

Note: Best practice is to machine the rotors with every pad change. Then go through a seating process on first drive.
Tipe: Flush brakes every few years, and make sure bleeders have good caps on them.

Last edited:
When I brake to a stop, right before completely stopping I release pressure on the brake pedal for a slow creep, it feels like the brake pads still on the rotors. Like that the brake pads spring is not releasing them. Feels also like the Brake Pedal has a weak return spring.

If the brake pedal is sticking and not fully returning.

It sounds like it could be time rebuild the master cylinder.

You can double check linkage and flush the lines. IMO it sounds like the plunger in master cylinder is sticking keeping pressure on the brakes and not allowing the pedal to fully return.

If you go that direction the “How to” is the FAQ

Master Cylinder Repair Kit - Toyota (04493-60330) | Toyota Of Dallas

If the brake pedal is sticking and not fully returning.

It sounds like it could be time rebuild the master cylinder.

You can double check linkage and flush the lines. IMO it sounds like the plunger in master cylinder is sticking keeping pressure on the brakes and not allowing the pedal to fully return.

If you go that direction the “How to” is the FAQ

Master Cylinder Repair Kit - Toyota (04493-60330) | Toyota Of Dallas

That is what it seems like - that the Brake Pedal is not fully returning.
Never rebuilt a Master Cylinder - what do you think, is this something someone can tackle without experience?

BTW, where are the FAQ's????

I can't tell if you're kidding because most of what you post is covered there or sincere, but I'll bite - first 4 lines are stickies, it's the one that's titled "100 series FAQ".

Thanks. Seriously I looked for the FAQ but did not see it.
Must be that I was expecting it to be higher up on the page.
But it was light font so I must have been in the FAQs in the past.
Perhaps me being almost 70 its "senioritis" :)
Anyway thanks for the DIY process.
Looks quite involved so I'm going to study it in detail.
But first try pumping the Brakes 40 times with engine off to see what happens.
After a quick scan I hope its something other than MC.

I pumped those brakes 40 times (as mentioned in the FAQ for MC repair to relieve pressure in the MC) with Engine off.
Now the brakes feel normal, no sticking.
That is after a short drive with several stops.
Have to see if this is just a temporary fix.

My brake pedal has had trouble returning, but its just the hinge on the pedal itself. The lube is old and dried up. If you put your foot under the pedal, you can pop it right back. I sprayed some silicone spray into the hinge, and trouble went away just fine for months. Silicone spray was just a temp fix/test, though. It's starting to stick again. I need to actually unbolt the pedal hinge so I can get silicone grease fully into the hinge. Looks easy to do, just haven't had a chance to do it.

I pumped those brakes 40 times (as mentioned in the FAQ for MC repair to relieve pressure in the MC) with Engine off.
Now the brakes feel normal, no sticking.
That is after a short drive with several stops.
Have to see if this is just a temporary fix.

If it's just a pedal lube issue, and you worked the pedal that much, then yeah it's gonna operate smooth for a while as a temp fix. When it sits a while its going to get sticky again initially.

I’m curious if this solved your problem or if it was just a temporary fix? I’m having similar issues with my brakes.

I'm having this same issue where after I come to a stop, the pedal sticks for a second when I let off the brake.

Where do you think I should start? The front brakes are all new pads and rotors. I do not know how many miles the rears have but the mechanic said they are still in good shape.

I don't know about others, but my brake pedal is still returning fine well over a year since I put a little silicone lube around the pivot point of the brake pedal.

I had the same problem - brake pedal slow to return, like a 1/4 second delay before releasing (very annoying). I decided to have the brake system flushed and all fluid replaced before launching into a master cylinder repair or replacement, and it worked. That was about 2 years ago. I'm not saying it's not going to need a rebuilt master cylinder at some point, but it's still working for now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom