Brakes lines loops ? ..... why

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

David*BJ70

Looking forward to reach the end of the world
Threads
Hi everyone.

I will replace my brake lines on my 1982 BJ42.

The lines from the proportioning valve (under the master) have loops. I WILL BEND the lines with the same loops... but I wonder why the lines have loops ?

I ask here and there and no one can give me a responce.... maybe someone here can give me a descent answer...

Is for my personal interest ... and perhaps for others who wondered the same thing!

Merci !

i think they are there for frame flex, or if someone is lifting the body up to change mounts, ect, they don't Rip the Lines.. It makes a Body Lift Easy, (Not that anyone would ever do that) ;)

I have always done it to take up the extra hard line that I have. Besides that I have never heard of reason to do it.

Loops from where the hard attach point changes from body to frame are to handle the flex and to resist work hardening. From Frame to Axle you have rubber (SS) hoses.

Consider it a spring.

I thought I remember from my school daze that the reason for the coils was to create equal distances for the fluid flow to equalize fluid speed and pressure.

lines are steel, under stress and flex steel will break.even brake lines that are not fastened to the axle and vibrate can break good luck

bends

"I thought I remember from my school daze that the reason for the coils was to create equal distances for the fluid flow to equalize fluid speed and pressure."

Since the line is full of fluid it is not really flowing just pressurizing

I can see the flex argument for autos but another reason is that the lines try to stretch and expand when pressurized and bends in the lines allows for this otherwise the lines would crack

I have wondered about this.

I am currently doing some lift and other things that may make the original hard lines not workable, so could they in theory be replaced with a custom flexible braided steel line?

why?

Why use flexible if you have the option for a hard line? Premade tubes with fittings come in many lengths and you can borrow the bending tool for free at autozone.

Tubing is lighter, dissipates heat better, and has a more generous bend tolerance

I would only use hose where it was originally intended and extend either tubing or hoses that already exist as needed to adapt to the changes I was making

Hose expands, steel does not.

If you use too much brake hose in your system you can end up with mushy brakes...

Cool, makes sense.

Thanks,

Voilà !

I thought I remember from my school daze that the reason for the coils was to create equal distances for the fluid flow to equalize fluid speed and pressure.

X2 on this but never made sense to me but I will never mess around with breaks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom