Brake Squeal (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi All,

I just replaced my front brake pads 2 weeks ago and I have bled the system and the pedal feel is great.

Today on the way back home I heard a brake squeal/noise coming from the front right so I popped the tire out and everything seemed to be OK.... with the exception that squealers on the front pads were visible from the top of the caliper rather than the bottom...is this a problem....did I install them incorrectly??

Also I may need to use brake type grease on the sliding pins which I have not done so as of yet...any type that you would recommend and can I use it between shims as well?

Thanks

Al

Kindly...can you confirm if I need to revise the pads position or the way they are is OK and I should not be concerned at all.

Kindly...can you confirm if I need to revise the pads position or the way they are is OK and I should not be concerned at all.

Your pad position is fine, the squeakers will work ether way. I use a skin of brake grease anywhere that the metal backing plate of the pad contacts the caliper. If dry they can squeal.

I think the new pads are adjusting to the older roters voids, which may make noise as air is trapped between them.
Like a hard flat pad on a record players record for instance. When the pads wear into those groves made by the old ones... the noise should be gone!
Unless you put new roters in.... then I have no idea.
Don't take my word for it though as I am not any sort of mechanic whatsoever, but like to think of everything first and act later.
Maby wait a little is my point.

Last edited:
You should have four squeal shims per caliper, or two shims per pad. One shim has slots and the other one is solid. If you put grease on the shims and one the piston, it could be that the shims are too old.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom