Brake Question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Should I be able to lock up my tire (or at least activate ABS) by slamming on the brakes? Like driving 45 and jamming both feet in the petal? Brake booster problem? 10 ply tire weight? I bled the brakes today, improved a bit...

I can't lock up my 33's in the dry or activate the ABS. I stop very well though. ABS activates in rain and snow for me.

Unplug the ABS fuse, then do that on the brakes. Should be able to lock up all.

Yes, you may be having a booster issue.

Should I be able to lock up my tire (or at least activate ABS) by slamming on the brakes? Like driving 45 and jamming both feet in the petal? Brake booster problem? 10 ply tire weight? I bled the brakes today, improved a bit...
What size are the tires?

I eliminated my ABS and put in a manual proportioning valve...can lock up my 37's whenever I want now...and my rig is 8k pounds.

How about the brake booster check valve? Anybody changed one of those? Did it help?

So I replaced the brake booster check valve and I'm still getting issues braking. When I first stand on the pedal it's really hard and I get very little braking, after about a half second or so, the pedal gets a lot lighter and drops in and the brakes seem to bite. The pedal doesn't go to the floor or anything. I have a spare brake booster and I tried to get the old one out, however I couldn't seem to get it past the intake, especially with the master cylinder still screwed in and pushed out of the way.I tried the adjustment bolt but that didn't seem to help either, although I'm not sure actually did anything to it.

I just went thru this. Brakes worked OK, but they felt slow to react. Found the vacuum check valve did flow air but it did have noticeable resistance to flow. Compared to a spare valve and found to spare OEM valve worked fine and was very free flowing. Tried to swap in the OEM, but no luck as I have aftermarket booster and the hole is not the same size as OEM. Hmmmmm..... ordered a couple of different aftermarket valves from Amazon till I found the right one. Good fit, 100 % free flow for vacuum and 0% flow the other way. No change in brakes, but pedal response has improved dramatically. Higher, firmer, more consistant. Well worth the work and $. Raybestos CV 89000. About $15.

I can lock up my 32ish inch tires and activate ABS on dry pavement but I get into the pedal pretty hard.

It sounds like you are on the right track with your booster. You may want to try the FSM tests which are floating around in recent brake threads here on the forum etc. My understanding of the brake system on these 80s is that if the booster is functioning properly that the brakes are going to feel softer than many may expect even if all is perfect with the system and stopping power is really good. If your booster isn't doing it's job then your pedal will feel heavy / hard but stopping power won't be that great to varying degrees.

I just went thru this. Brakes worked OK, but they felt slow to react. Found the vacuum check valve did flow air but it did have noticeable resistance to flow. Compared to a spare valve and found to spare OEM valve worked fine and was very free flowing. Tried to swap in the OEM, but no luck as I have aftermarket booster and the hole is not the same size as OEM. Hmmmmm..... ordered a couple of different aftermarket valves from Amazon till I found the right one. Good fit, 100 % free flow for vacuum and 0% flow the other way. No change in brakes, but pedal response has improved dramatically. Higher, firmer, more consistant. Well worth the work and $. Raybestos CV 89000. About $15.
I did buy a brand new OEM replacement from Toyota. Freaking cost me 45 bucks. I tested it just by putting it on my mouth and blowing and sucking and it seems to be okay. I think there's a valve or something inside of the brake booster. I wonder if it's not actuaiting properly

I swapped the booster with a spare, and I don't really notice much of a difference. Who has experience with swapping out the proportioning valve? did it help your braking much? Maybe I can try to adjust it...

I swapped the booster with a spare, and I don't really notice much of a difference. Who has experience with swapping out the proportioning valve? did it help your braking much? Maybe oI can try to adjust it...
I put Wilwood manual proportioning valves in both of my 80’s at the same time that I deleted ABS. Much better braking in both trucks now.

Do you have a lift? If so, have you adjusted your LSPV to compensate? As you lift the arm on the LSPV, it allows more braking pressure to the rear brakes.

I don't have a lift. Pretty much bone stock with a heavier front bumper and winch.

I feel the brakes drag a bit before they really bite in. I think I may have the 100 front pads, I forgot if I put ones for the 80 back on. Maybe I should fiddle with the LSPV to see if that changes things.

FWIW:

I have one stock 1994 and two stock 1995s. I can lock the brakes on one of the 1995s; the other two have typical mushy 80 series brakes. I bought my first 80 (a 1994) used, with about 30k on when it was about 4 years old. The brakes would put your face on the steering wheel, just like my 1995 (with working brakes). The stock components, when correct, work very well. That said I'm only a couple of weeks into a complete 80 series brake system review and nothing obvious has come to light as of yet, so I can't offer any specific help with your problem, just a thought about where you should expect to wind up.

FWIW:

I have one stock 1994 and two stock 1995s. I can lock the brakes on one of the 1995s; the other two have typical mushy 80 series brakes. I bought my first 80 (a 1994) used, with about 30k on when it was about 4 years old. The brakes would put your face on the steering wheel, just like my 1995 (with working brakes). The stock components, when correct, work very well. That said I'm only a couple of weeks into a complete 80 series brake system review and nothing obvious has come to light as of yet, so I can't offer any specific help with your problem, just a thought about where you should expect to wind up.
If you have a write up on the brake system, I would love to go through it. Best of luck.

I'm working on it...

I just did the brakes on my '96 80 series. New front brake calipers, new front slotted rotors, Hawk LTS pads, new SS hoses front and rear, rebuilt rear calipers with stock pads. Bled about a half gallon of fluid. With the brakes warm I can lock the fronts/activate ABS on dry pavement.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom