Brake Pads OEM VS the others (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SHERMAN FJ62

Charlestons' King of Cruisers
Threads
I am always a fan of saving money but when it comes to my cruiser I like to treat it right. Are the Napa Premium pads the equal or better than the OEM pads and shoes for my FJ60? I have also used Wagner pads before and they seemed to last for several years. Thoughts. Truck is not a daily but I cant stand grabby brakes or squeaks so I don't like the organic pads that wear out quickly.

Friend of mine who worked for Toyota years ago always said w/ pads, go w/ oem.

I've noticed a marked difference between OEM and LAPS pads. Surface area is larger and covers up to the edge of the disk. A definite better grab.

I don't generally spend for OEM rebuilt calipers. For the drums, the price is low enough to go OEM on the cylinders.

i bought oem and a aftermarket one. OEM had almost twice the pad thickness some will out last the aftermarket one for sure. for brakes i don't mind spending on OEM

I have always had noise issues with non-Toyota pads, and by the time you buy decent aftermarket pads, you're most of the way to the price of OEM pads.

i bought oem and a aftermarket one. OEM had almost twice the pad thickness some will out last the aftermarket one for sure. for brakes i don't mind spending on OEM

This is interesting, I replaced all of my brakes pads last year with the ones from napa. And, if they had been any thicker, they wouldn't have fit in the calipers with the rotor.

I used the cheap organic ones from NAPA. No issues. No squeaks. Good performance. Maybe they do wear faster but I drive less than 7K a year in my 60, so not a big deal for me.

When I redid my brakes I went with OEM brake pads in the front and rear, along with OEM drums. The cruiser stops VERY well now and is totally silent.

I think at the end of the day, the difference between the OEM pads and top NAPA pads will be small. Making sure the drums are adjusted correctly and metal-metal contact surfaces are clean and greased will make a larger difference on braking performance and sound.

I have had good expierence with OEM and the Napa premium pads but not on my land cruisers. Glad for some specific feed back. If the 1st owners notes are right I basically got 40k and 11 years out of the Toyota front brake pads

Not cruiser specific, but in the past I've bought generic parts store stuff and I've experienced bad brake fade with the cheap pads, and have had linings seperate from backings on shoes within a month of installation. (The ones I'm referring to weren't Napa premium, I don't have any experience with those, the ones I'm referring to are the house brand O'Reilly/Autozone stuff)

For difference in price, especially spread out over their lifespan of several or more years it doesn't make much sense to go with cheap brake parts. It's not like you need to trust the parts to stop your truck in an emergency or anything.

I do know for sure that the OEM pads and shoes on Tacomas/4Runners will go way over 100k miles. Hard to argue with that kind of performance.

Last edited:
Napa Gold calipers and pads were part of my initial overhaul when I bought my 60. Put approx 10k miles on them so far with no complaints. Can't compare apples to apples with OEM as I've never had them, but I'd have no reservation using them again.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom