Brake line locking device... Any experience? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Anyone have any experience with Micro-Locks or other brake line locking devices (b&m launch control solenoid).

I'm in a pinch here. My Parking brake died this weekend (I think it might have something to do with driving with it engaged, possibly). I was on the way to the local OHV park at night, it was really cold with just a bikini top, and I realised after stopping for gas that I left my wallet at home. No dome light, and a really good looking gal was walking her dog, (the turkey was done, if you know what I mean, she could have cut glass with those things). So yea, I was a little distracted :whoops: As I was coasting down the off-ramp 30 or so miles later I heard a ratcheting sound. Not good. I get to the trail head, killed the engine, and pull the handle, that's when I figured out I had no e-brake. Could be a bad cable? Well, that would be the best case scenerio. I haven't had time to check it out since it's dark by the time I get home from work. Line lock seems like a good alternative, and it would at least meet the requirements for most organized runs. Although I had no problems last weekend with out it.

There are a variety of line locks that you can use to supplement your stock parking brake. There are mechanical and electrical versions that will work, but line locks are not always "approved" emergency brakes at organized events. I like mine because it puts the braking force at the wheels not the driveshaft. Summit Racing has a multitude to select from. Line locks have also been discussed a little in the past

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=61900&highlight=line+locks

I would think it would be cheaper and easier and safer to just fix the stock e brake. Not sure what year the rig is but you could contact Cdan and see if oem is available-

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=17873

If not CCOT has the cable and e brake fix kit.

I had no e brake on my first rig when I bought it and was intimidated by the "drum on the tcase", but it turned out to be a pretty easy thing to fix.

I have found Line Locks to work pretty well assuming all other things are OK to. Leaky wheel cyclinder? Won't work, neither will the other brakes for that matter. Used them on juice-braked dump trucks. They have worked and held better than any TC-mounted parking brake I have ever had, even after a rebuild with all new parts. It has been many years since I have had an I6 but my V8's just drive on like nothing matters if I forget to release the standard P-brake. I don't really understand the issue with approval by certain governing bodies but that's their deal, not mine. I'd just rebuild what you got and if that don't work or work well enough look into Line Locks.

I did a search in the archive but was looking up micro-lock, not line lock, so I missed that thread. Very useful. Thanks for not noo-B bashing me on that one. I'm still exploring my options, but they seem like something useful to have even after my e-brake is working again. I need one of those aircraft wheel chock flags that says remove before flight :)

There is a red light that would be on while the parking brake is engaged. If that is working, you have your indicator right there. (not that I didn't make the same mistake myself, that was when the red light wasn't working, fortunately just a seal leaking from heat)

Funny thing...

Apparently my e brake needs some service. It will hold from rolling forward solidly, and usually if I pull it hard it will hold backwards too. Well, had it running in the driveway to warm up, and I noticed that I couldn't hear the humm all of a sudden, looked out window and there she was, sitting in the street. :eek: I go out looking like an idiot and pull it back up the driveway. Luckily no cars or people passing by.

Thought I'd share. ;)

I read that the line locks are not intended to be used as a park brake. What good is it then, or do they just say that?

HawkDriver said:
Funny thing...

Apparently my e brake needs some service. It will hold from rolling forward solidly, and usually if I pull it hard it will hold backwards too. Well, had it running in the driveway to warm up, and I noticed that I couldn't hear the humm all of a sudden, looked out window and there she was, sitting in the street. :eek: I go out looking like an idiot and pull it back up the driveway. Luckily no cars or people passing by.

Thought I'd share. ;)

I read that the line locks are not intended to be used as a park brake. What good is it then, or do they just say that?

Yea, I had a fun time this morning warming up my landcruiser. I need a tune up. It's hard to start when it's cold (the engine, it doesn't really get "cold" here). So i was manually operating the carb while cranking it over, and trying to hold my cruiser in place and keep from rolling forward. And I had no clue there was supposed to be a dummy light! My cruiser was a ranch vehicle so the wiring was really screwy. It's not even the right wiring harness (it's a later model FJ55 or something). This e-brake thing is just another addition to a very long to-do list.

I have rear discs (GM-No e-brake) with a mechanical lock (Jaymar). Push on the pedal and push in the knob and release the pedal. I've left it parked for a week and it was still locked when I went to move it. I liked the mechanical better than electric because it won't run your battery down, no wires or connections to snag or corrode etc. The trade off being that I have the rear brake line ran into the cab. Been 5+ years with no problems. May help keep a stranger from driving away with your stuff.

Electric is a temp thing.. If you leave them on they heat up and die...

Not a good idea IMHO

The mechanical ones Work well. I have one for my 40. One of these days I'll actually get around to hooking it up..

BTW, I am pretty sure I have a set of drum brake pads (NIB) at home if anyone is interested..

:flipoff2:

That was drum pbrake pads ;)

Mace said:
Electric is a temp thing.. If you leave them on they heat up and die...

Not a good idea IMHO

The mechanical ones Work well. I have one for my 40. One of these days I'll actually get around to hooking it up..

I agree I bought B&N on ebay and sold after thinking about it for a while. Still looking for a Mico or simular mechanical.

There is something to be said for having a seperate system for braking...

I have had a sudden and nearly complete brake failure on my rig (pressure sensor on M/C went out), and the pbrake got me home.

No experience with brake locks, but I am looking for a mechanical locking device. About a year ago I found a site for-- www.brakelock.com. Recently decided it was time to do something about it and tried to go to brakelock website and got the message that I was not authorized to access the site. Their brakelock unit worked on both front and rear systems and used a cylindrical key to operate it, thus giving what appeared to be a good security system in addition to a help for the stock driveshaft brake. Does anybody on here know of a similar item to what I described?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom