Box Rocket homemade trailer build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Box Rocket

SILVER Star
Threads
Spoiler pic
IMG_4842 by Adam Tolman, on Flickr

Ok, so this post may be a little premature as I don't have much to offer just yet but I am getting started on my own little off-road trailer build. I'll be posting pics etc as I go. I'm hoping to have it useable in the next month or so as the snow melt enough out in th west desert that I can go camping with my boys.

Current status is all still in peices. I've ordered my lock-n-roll hitch, and the 3500# axle with springs etc. I'm getting the rest of my parts list together and should be picking up the steel next week and then I'll be rolling.

My plans are to keep things pretty basic and lightweight. I don't currently need a fully kitted expedition trailer but more room for gear etc since my wife just had twins and with our other two boys and our dog the space in the truck is just about gone. I also need to be able to use the trailer for odd jobs around the house, so any mods including drawers, stoves, water tanks etc, will need to be easily removeable so that I can take advantage of the utility aspects that I need in a trailer.

I'm not planning anything elaborate in the construction other than a 4x6' box, some decent fenders to cover the 285s on stock 80 series wheels. It will have a tailgate, a locking lid that I can remove if I need an open trailer. Probably a good cooler mount, and mounts for gas cans, and probably a small propane canister. I have a pair of Thule load bars that I'll use for a base for a tent in the future or whatever else I need. I am also entertaining the idea of having pockets in the bed corners for an additional overhead rack for addtional stacked storage if necessary.

That's about it for now. I appreciate the ideas I've gleaned from everyone here and especially from good people like Exiled.

I'll try to give consistent updates and hopefully repay others with some of my own ideas. I'll be sure to also take plenty of pics.

Stay tuned.

Last edited:
So for starters I am picking up my custom axle tomorrow. I ended up fairly basic but it's a 3500# straight axle that is 64" wide (1/2 wider than the 80 rear axle) with idler hubs (no brakes) with 6x5.5 lug pattern so I can use some stock 80 series alloys. I ordered it from Henderson Wheel who has been awesome to work with and their prices seem very competitive. I've added a link to their site in the FAQ. First pics should come tomorrow when I get the axle and my lock-n-roll should show up.

Adam, we need pics. I am interested in seeing how you have it fit both a utility trailer and an expo trailer. I opted for a basic utility type trailer and figure i can strap down containers holding stuff when camping.

Adam, we need pics. I am interested in seeing how you have it fit both a utility trailer and an expo trailer. I opted for a basic utility type trailer and figure i can strap down containers holding stuff when camping.

I will share plenty of pics as I go. The size is definitely more along the lines of an expo trailer than a utility trailer, but my plan is just to not make things like drawers, fridges and other common expo equipment a permanent part of it. That way I can still haul the other random crap when I need to.

I'm getting excited about it, and hoping to make some progress this weekend but I have a few things that might get in the way. I pick up the axle in an hour or two.

Woohoo! This is so cool, I'm jealous! You've heard me say many times that if I ever had to do it again, I'd go custom (built from scratch) rather than adapting an M416, but since I'm not in the position to do so (no welder/welding skills, no time/space), I live vicariously through my friends. Adam, any way I can pitch it, let me know!

"since my wife just had twins"

Adam, Quit drinking that Utah water! Congrats on the babies.

I too had a trailer project on my list of things to do before spring, but a root canal redo and a crown today sucked the fundage right out from under me.

I think Drew has set our expectations pretty high.

Drew is a total posuer!:flipoff2:

Ok honestly, Drew's trailer is unreal and in my wildest dreams I couldn't come close to the sweetness that is his trailer. So if Drew's trailer is where you're expectations are, set your sights elsewhere on this thread. If Drew's trailer is Derek Jeter, mine will be more along the lines of Matt Walton (he was our high school pitcher). He was good but.......

Well, first things first. Not huge progress today but a necessary step in order to have the trailer possible. Don'd mind the winter salt and rust but here is my rear bumper as of this morning.......notice anything missing?

_MG_3225.jpg

The main factor that is going to slow me down on this whole project is the fact that other than the welder, I really don't have much other than basic tools. I'm hoping to borrow a chop saw from a buddy, but at the moment all cuts are made with a cutoff wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder, and then its just regular old hand tools. One of these days I'll get me some air tools but for now, what I've got works.

So after cutting through my bumper and rear crossmember, oh and there is a little primer already sprayed on the crossmember.

_MG_3229.jpg

I'm using an 18" receiver tube. I wanted to keep my clearance as good as possible so the hole for the pin is behind the bumper, no big deal and it's actually not too hard to get to. Small sacrifice for a little bit less to drag. I welded up the face of the receiver tube and ground it smooth. 4x4 peice of wood and some jackstand to get it held into place while I tack it in.

_MG_3231.jpg

Fully welded to both sides of the bumper and across the bottom. I haven't picked up my steel for the trailer yet but I'll be using the threaded frame holes used for the stock spare tire jack for some additional support the other end of the receiver tube. I'll be using a little more 2" tubing to span across between the frame and tie into the receiver tube. Should be plenty strong for any towing I'll do.

_MG_3233.jpg

And here's a pic of my axle I picked up yesterday. Decided on 64" WMS to WMS, so .5" wider than the 80 rear axle. The tires I'm using on the trailer are slightly narrow than the tires on the truck so it should be almost perfect track width.

_MG_3236.jpg

I've also been building a 3D model of the trailer on my computer using Maya (animation software I use at work). I'm still playing with a few things in the basic design like axle placement and box size etc, but I'm getting closer. I'll add other details later but this is a super basic mockup.

testrender_01.jpg

Hopefully more progress next week once I pick up the steel. Things should get moving a bit quicker then.

Well, first things first. Not huge progress today but a necessary step in order to have the trailer possible. Don'd mind the winter salt and rust but here is my rear bumper as of this morning.......notice anything missing?

_MG_3225.jpg

The main factor that is going to slow me down on this whole project is the fact that other than the welder, I really don't have much other than basic tools. I'm hoping to borrow a chop saw from a buddy, but at the moment all cuts are made with a cutoff wheel on my 4.5" angle grinder, and then its just regular old hand tools. One of these days I'll get me some air tools but for now, what I've got works.

So after cutting through my bumper and rear crossmember, oh and there is a little primer already sprayed on the crossmember.

_MG_3229.jpg

I'm using an 18" receiver tube. I wanted to keep my clearance as good as possible so the hole for the pin is behind the bumper, no big deal and it's actually not too hard to get to. Small sacrifice for a little bit less to drag. I welded up the face of the receiver tube and ground it smooth. 4x4 peice of wood and some jackstand to get it held into place while I tack it in.

_MG_3231.jpg

Fully welded to both sides of the bumper and across the bottom. I haven't picked up my steel for the trailer yet but I'll be using the threaded frame holes used for the stock spare tire jack for some additional support the other end of the receiver tube. I'll be using a little more 2" tubing to span across between the frame and tie into the receiver tube. Should be plenty strong for any towing I'll do.

_MG_3233.jpg

And here's a pic of my axle I picked up yesterday. Decided on 64" WMS to WMS, so .5" wider than the 80 rear axle. The tires I'm using on the trailer are slightly narrow than the tires on the truck so it should be almost perfect track width.

_MG_3236.jpg

I've also been building a 3D model of the trailer on my computer using Maya (animation software I use at work). I'm still playing with a few things in the basic design like axle placement and box size etc, but I'm getting closer. I'll add other details later but this is a super basic mockup.

testrender_01.jpg

Hopefully more progress next week once I pick up the steel. Things should get moving a bit quicker then.

With that length tongue, you can move the axle forward and center it on the box portion of the frame.

Thanks, I've been wondering about that. Trying find a good "balance" so that with the tongue jack I can keep things pretty stable without other support legs.

Like I said, I'm still playing around with some of those things so it's good to hear your input.

Went back through a bunch of my old trailer photos as I was brainstorming today. I kept coming back to this one. I may be modifying my design slightly to be a bit closer to this. I'm thinking rather than having multiple supports in the box frame sides I can keep a cleaner look by eliminating them and using 14 ga. skins for the box. I had planned on 16 ga. but wonder if that would be too light. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Anyone have a good source for premade fenders? I am debating back and forth about building the fender frames myself and skinning them or just using some premade ones. The premade ones would be less expensive for sure but I need to try to find some that are decent and hopefully 10" wide at a minimum. If anyone knows of any wider ones I'd like to know about those too.

whttrlr.jpg

Went back through a bunch of my old trailer photos as I was brainstorming today. I kept coming back to this one. I may be modifying my design slightly to be a bit closer to this. I'm thinking rather than having multiple supports in the box frame sides I can keep a cleaner look by eliminating them and using 14 ga. skins for the box. I had planned on 16 ga. but wonder if that would be too light. Thoughts from the peanut gallery?

Anyone have a good source for premade fenders? I am debating back and forth about building the fender frames myself and skinning them or just using some premade ones. The premade ones would be less expensive for sure but I need to try to find some that are decent and hopefully 10" wide at a minimum. If anyone knows of any wider ones I'd like to know about those too.

whttrlr.jpg

testrender_01.jpg

Adam,
I thought your design looked familiar.
I was fortunate enough to buy Mike Robinson's trailer when he sold it here a year or two ago. It really is a nice trailer with some well thought-out features. (Thanks Mike!)
There are quite a few detailed pictures in his For-Sale post found here:
Miker Trailer For-Sale Ad

attachment.php

There are a few minor changes I may make, such as adding tube to the fender edge, tie down points in the bed, and possibly narrowing the bumper slightly. If you want measurements or other details let me know. I'm sure sure Miker would be happy to help also.

Good luck with the project.

Thanks for posting that. Seriously I've been thinking about building a trailer for years and even chatted with Mike about this trailer probably 7-8 years ago. Crazy.

I truly like the simple design of his trailer a lot. I am hoping to pick up steel this afternoon and if I do I can probably get the frame all put together this weekend. I think I found some fenders just like those one on your trailer for $25 ea. I have a few odds and ends I still need to pick up but I gotta see what money I've got left in my budget after I get the steel. It may take a few weeks to sock away a bit more money to put finishing touches on it.

Sorry I don't have more progress yet but hopefully this weekend. I did through some tires on it and loose mounted the springs, but that will all come off.

Drew is a total posuer!:flipoff2:

Ok honestly, Drew's trailer is unreal and in my wildest dreams I couldn't come close to the sweetness that is his trailer. So if Drew's trailer is where you're expectations are, set your sights elsewhere on this thread. If Drew's trailer is Derek Jeter, mine will be more along the lines of Matt Walton (he was our high school pitcher). He was good but.......

I'll take that as a compliment! :D

If you trailer comes anywhere near your 40 build (moneypit right?) You're going to be just fine bro. Congrats on the twins... you might consider going 4x8 ;)

I have that same trailer in my trailer file for years. Simple, clean, effective... you can't go wrong with that kind of design.

As for fenders, in all my hunting around I couldn't find what I wanted to cover the 12.5's out back... so I built my own. Prefabbed would be nice but honestly, this is one area you want to get right, if you have a rock chucked into the rear window of your 80 any coin you saved on by going with narrower fenders will quickly vanish :D

Oh... and while you are dreaming of picking up your steel and making a frame, I will be sleeping in the RMNP tomorrow night to the sounds of elk bugling and a crackling fire ;)... did I mention I will be under a down comforter with a 12v heated blanket... oh yeah, I am a posuer for sure! ;) :D :bounce:

I'll take that as a compliment! :D

If you trailer comes anywhere near your 40 build (moneypit right?) You're going to be just fine bro. Congrats on the twins... you might consider going 4x8 ;)

I have that same trailer in my trailer file for years. Simple, clean, effective... you can't go wrong with that kind of design.

As for fenders, in all my hunting around I couldn't find what I wanted to cover the 12.5's out back... so I built my own. Prefabbed would be nice but honestly, this is one area you want to get right, if you have a rock chucked into the rear window of your 80 any coin you saved on by going with narrower fenders will quickly vanish :D

Oh... and while you are dreaming of picking up your steel and making a frame, I will be sleeping in the RMNP tomorrow night to the sounds of elk bugling and a crackling fire ;)... did I mention I will be under a down comforter with a 12v heated blanket... oh yeah, I am a posuer for sure! ;) :D :bounce:

Surely you know that was definitely meant as a compliment.

Yes the Moneypit was my 40. Wish I still had it.

I found some 10" wide fenders that I think will work. Rather than mounting them directly to the side of the box, I'm planning to space them off the trailer just a little to actually cover more of the tire. I think I only need them spaced off the trailer an inch or so. Or maybe I'll just use some of my 1" tubing to build a spacer to mount them too. Anyway I think I can get the prefab fenders to work well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom