Off-Road Trailer - Custom Built – $900 obo (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

*** This trailer has been sold***

On/Off-Road Trailer - Custom Built *** SOLD ***

Custom Built On/Off-Road Trailer with custom built axle using early land cruiser spindles, hubs, bearings, lockouts (wheel bolt pattern same as cruiser, 6-lug). Box dimensions are 64" long x 40" wide x 18" deep. Trailer comes with pintle ring and 2" ball type hookups for either type on tow vehicle. The tow vehicle hardware (pintel or ball) are not included.

I built this trailer a number of years ago and have taken it on highway and 4x4 trips including Rubicon. It tows great on and off road. When built, it was all new material construction except the Land Cruiser parts like spindles, bearings, hubs, springs, etc. These parts were used.

The GOOD:
-Current California PTI Registration

-As mentioned, custom built axle using early Land Cruiser spindles, bearings, wheel hubs, lockouts. Axle tube is 3" diameter. I will include spare spindles, bearings, and wheel hubs. I've never had a problem with the original ones I installed but these are good spares.

-Springs are aftermarket set of fj40 Land Cruiser 2.5" lift springs

-Drop down tailgate. Tailgate can also be removed easily in a couple minutes.

-Box can be unbolted and removed from frame if necessary.

-Cargo ties along outside of bed sides.

-Front platform cargo area for more storage. Good for carrying water/gas, fire wood, etc

-Removable ‘trailer to tow vehicle’ wiring harness - plugs into trailer and plugs into tow vehicle using standard round 4-wire plug and cable (included). This cable was made to unplug for trail use to avoid any trail damage to wires.

-Has side steps in front and rear of fenders (not shown in pic but these are installed.

-Includes already cut to size rubber truck bed mat for floor of bed.

-Includes safety chains.

The NOT so good:
-Pic is right after it was finished, or nearly finished so paint and bed look pristine in the pic. From use, exterior and interior now has paint chips and dings. Inside of box has dings and scratches from carrying cargo. Trailer has been sitting outside for several years so any scratches or paint chips have surface rust. Solid oak wood bed is faded from sun and rain but is not rotted and would look very good again with pressure wash and coating of Super Deck, etc

-Currently has a worn set of 33" tires and 15x8 white spoke wheels. If you want these then I have total of four you can have or you can pick the best 2 or 3. Also have a pair of very worn 35" tires which go flat over a few weeks you can have instead. The chrome wheels have surface rust from rock rash and sitting outside but most should clean up ok.

Summary:
Trailer is mechanically solid and ready for use. If desired I can take current pics to show condition of paint and box. I brought this trailer to the Stockton swap meet last year to haul parts. Some may have seen it then. If purchased, I can deliver it this year to Stockton for pickup at the swap meet.
trail1.jpg
trail2.jpg
trail3.jpg

Last edited:
Very interested but not able to pick up. If you know how to make it appear in SoCal I'll take it.

I can get it to Stockton for the swap meet April 21st. From there, you might find someone willing to take to SoCal.

post on mudship?
can you put up current pics?
and a close up of the tongue and gate latches?

Wiring. Plugs into trailer and tow vehicle so it can be removed for trail use. Thirs pic shows DMV tag.
HPIM0143.JPG
HPIM0144.JPG
HPIM0145.JPG

Front outside of box, and one pic of it on the ground.
HPIM0152.JPG
HPIM0441.JPG

Locking Hubs?

Yeah, there's a locker in there too. :D

The outers of the axle are cruiser spindles, bearings, wheel hubs, and then the locking hubs which are sealing out the water are potential trail spares as well.

Just in case someone didn't get that joke, there isn't a locker. The axle is a custom built straight tube with custom flanges that allow a cruiser spindle to be bolted on.
LinkPhoto5.jpg

looks sweet.
so the 2" ball would just be anaother tongue that slides in and held in with a pin?

I don't have the pintle hook set up yet.

How much of the locking hubs is in there?

How much #'s have you had in it safely? Would you put a cord of wood in that and haul it? how about a 1FZ block? How high is the tongue when level? I'll need to see where my rear bumper sits after a lift. (stock 80 right now with a OME heavy planned) Is the width much smaller than the 80's is? Hubs would accept spacers correct?

My electrical is a flat 4, I guess I could get an adapter right?

Cruiser by??? can't read that last part. When the door is opened, does it lie flat against the bumper if unhooked? looks like it'll miss the plate.

thanks for the added photos.
When does the licensing expire? how much was it on avg. for a year?

looks sweet.
so the 2" ball would just be anaother tongue that slides in and held in with a pin?
Yes, included in price. Bar is shown but receiver is not mounted on bar. I will include it.
How much of the locking hubs is in there?
All of it. Its an early style. I've heard that some folks want these for restos but that could be just a rumor. Most any cruiser hub will bolt up.
How much #'s have you had in it safely? Would you put a cord of wood in that and haul it? how about a 1FZ block? How high is the tongue when level? I'll need to see where my rear bumper sits after a lift. (stock 80 right now with a OME heavy planned) Is the width much smaller than the 80's is? Hubs would accept spacers correct?
I've had it loaded down for camping. I'd say at least 600 or 700lbs with no problems. I also carried a complete 22re with no problem. springs are old rancho style but don't have smallest (bottom) leaf. Was running just that main leaf and was good for light loads but tires would rub with heavier loads so added second leaf and they seem about perfect for the size of the trailer.

I don't think the trailer is physically big enough for a cord of wood. What is that, 8'x8'x4'? If that right, no way. Might hold the weight but not that much space.

Trailer sat flat level connected to my sprung over 40 with 35's on trailer and on 40. I would have to measure height to tell you for sure in inches.

I made the width a little smaller than a 40 so I'd guess even narrower than a 80. Box is 40" wide, fender are 10" each, tires are wider than fenders by several inches per side.

Hubs should accept spacers or anything an early cruiser would accept.
My electrical is a flat 4, I guess I could get an adapter right?
Yes, not a big deal. Could also swap out one end of the harness too.
Cruiser by??? can't read that last part. When the door is opened, does it lie flat against the bumper if unhooked? looks like it'll miss the plate.
"Cruiser by Robinson"
I think it lies almost flat but not quite. I don't think it hits the plate. Anyway, I've had the tailgate chains off and it does swing down almost all the way. With the chains on, sits at 90 degrees like normal tailgate.
thanks for the added photos.
When does the licensing expire? how much was it on avg. for a year?
California PTI for trailer is 5 years. I think it has at least a year left but I'll have to check to be sure. I think it was about $20 for 5 years.

California PTI for trailer is 5 years. I think it has at least a year left but I'll have to check to be sure. I think it was about $20 for 5 years.

Clarification on this after checking the papers. The PTI was paid in Dec 2006. It expires 02/28/2012. It was $10 for 5 years.

I checked DMV site and I think the title transfer fee is $15 but not sure since it doesn't specifically mention trailers. The $15 fee is for vehicle transfers so the trailer would likely be same or less. Whatever the case, its not going to be much to transfer title on this trailer.

very nice trailer :cool:

now...if I can just find a way to come up with a little extra cash...hmmmmm....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom