Box Rocket homemade trailer build (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I think you are on the right track. Gotta work with what you've got. I have the same problem if it makes you feel any better.

I think a short cable that keeps it where you want for a usable surface is a great idea.

Also, you will be just fine welding up the sides. I probably should have done that too.

Adam

The trailers missing something. Oh yeah, a set of 80 wheels. See ya tomorrow.

Jay

I've never seen a garage that ......empty and clean before! Must be an alien or something! Nice looking build so far..Watch out for hot embers into the socks as well! Leaves a heck of a mark!!

Cheers!

I've never seen a garage that ......empty and clean before! Must be an alien or something! Nice looking build so far..Watch out for hot embers into the socks as well! Leaves a heck of a mark!!

Cheers!

Done that one before too. I've got a few burn marks on my writst right now for tacking stuff together wearing my Mechanix gloves instead of welding gloves. Problem is I'm using CO2 as sheilding gas and I'm getting some splatter. Oh well.

Jaysdead40 is bringing my 80 wheels down from Idaho tonight (hope he makes it safe in the storm) so I'll try to get the 285's mounted up this weekend. Might get the tongue welded up too. Not sure about my plan of attack just yet on the skins. Maybe a few things to do before they go on. We'll see how it goes.

Uh, there's a storm? We've got blue skies and sunshine here. I had the 285's pulled off at noon and the cruisers already loaded.

Jay

the storm has all been south of Salt Lake City so you should be just fine. It was supposed to move north but really hasn't yet. I'm still sitting in my office in downtown SLC and no snow falling so you should be good.

Ok I wasnt the only one thinking that,
ken

I've never seen a garage that ......empty and clean before! Must be an alien or something! Nice looking build so far.

I need another suggestion. I have been wanting to have a side opening lid, but I'm realizing I could have a problem with where to mount a gas strut along the back because of the tailgate. Is there a good way to handle this without having to add a top rail across the back in the tailgate opening?

Or will I need to have the hinge for the lid on the front of the box? Obviously that will work fine, but it sure seems easier to get to stuff inside the trailer by reaching in from the side.

Could you mount the strut on the opposite side of the bed so that the struts look like an X when open? You can mount/size the strut near the tailgate to be close to the top edge of the bed so when you close the lid, it doesn't interfere too much when getting stuff out of the tailgate.

You could also mount it on the right hand wall of the tub.
x-strut.jpg

Last edited:
I would put them both on the far side. That way they exert equal force on the lid and aren't trying to warp it.

I would put them both on the far side. That way they exert equal force on the lid and aren't trying to warp it.

That's probably what I'll have to do. Shouldn't create too much of a problem getting things in or out.

On a brighter note. Jay dropped off the 80 wheels last night, so I'll be mounting up the 285s tomorrow and the postman brought a much anticipated peice of the puzzle today.

_MG_3268.jpg

I got a bit more done today. After a good hour shovelling snow off the driveway and the walks, I headed over to Discount Tire to get the 285's mounted and balanced on the 80 wheels I got from jaysdead40. I've been getting my tires from Discount for quite a while now for all my cars and even though it wouldn't have cost me much for the mounting and balancing, they did it for free. Was a nice gesture and as small as it was, it will keep me coming back. But the 285's look much better on there.

_MG_3283.jpg

Then I got to working on the tongue. I cut out the front and bottom of the front framerail and slide the tongue into the opening so that I had three surfaces to weld to along the sides and bottom. Seemed like a better idea than just butt welding it to the frame.

_MG_3286.jpg

Then I welded in another section between the front framerail and the first crossmember. At the seam between the tongue and this new peice (on the underside) I welded another 6" plate to span the seam and tie the tongue into the center tube in the frame.

_MG_3291.jpg

Test fitting one of my coolers.
_MG_3290.jpg

Then I got to work on the tailgate again. I went for simple with the latches. A couple of crappy welds, but probably not worth cutting and and redoing. Anyway, I welded a tab on the tub upright with a hole in it. ALso welded a small plate on the inside of the tub upright as a stop for the tailgate. Welded one more small plate with a slot cut into it to the side of the tailgate. This slot slides over the tab welded to the tub. Then its just a simple pin with a cam-ring to lock it. I could also use a padlock if I wanted. It's simple but I was excited about how solid it is. No rattles or flex at all.

_MG_3288.jpg

_MG_3289.jpg

I capped those holes on the tub rails also but forgot to take any pictures of that. I still need to drill the hole in the tongue for the hitch pin but I pulled the truck in to see how everyting was lining up. Everything appears to be just about right. I have Monday off so hopefully I can maybe get the skins on it.

_MG_3293.jpg

_MG_3294.jpg

i hinged mine from the front and it makes getting in either side a breeze

I've been thinking about this more and more and I am leaning toward puting the hinge on the front like yours. I was worried about it opening far enough to be able to comfortably get to things at the front of the trailer but obviously you can if it's setup like yours. Probably easier than trying to reach across from the side, especially if you're kinda short like me (5'9") and more importantly my wife (5'3").

Thanks for that pic.

Ok, another request for suggestions. Since I'm getting close to putting the skins on I've been debating whether to keep them on the inside like I originally planned or to put them on the outside. Moving them to the outside has a few positive aspects. One is it will look "cleaner" on the outside with a smooth skin versus seeing the exposed framework. Also, it gives me some ridges on the inside that can be used as partitions. I have thought about making it so I could just drop a peice of plywood down between two of the uprights and create a smaller compartment in case I wanted to separate types of gear etc. Does that makes sense?

The downside to skins on the outside is not having a smooth surface on the inside for sliding things in and out. Also I will surely be using the trailer for stuff around the house from time to time and wonder if I will be annoyed by the "ribs" down the sides if I'm unloading a load of dirt etc.

I'm leaning toward putting up with the annoyance of the "ribs" on the inside for a cleaner look and for the ease of creating partitions.

Any have opinions?

put a piece of plywood on the floor when using it as a utility trailer.

On your tailgate I would use a chain with a hook like the old stepside pickup boxes did then when open you just rehook the chain to keep the tailgate flat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom