Bourbon. What are you drinking right now? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@lt1fire and @Fort Knox and anybody else...

A buddy is going to Japan for a week with only 3 shows to work but plenty of space to bring stuff back. I’ll not besmirch this thread with the name of the terrible band he’s with. Anything you’d suggest he try to grab? Please no stuff that’s even hard to find over there, he won’t have the ability to track stuff down.

Part of this request is my own greed as he owes me something major.

A buddy is going to Japan for a week with only 3 shows to work but plenty of space to bring stuff back. I’ll not besmirch this thread with the name of the terrible band he’s with. Anything you’d suggest he try to grab? Please no stuff that’s even hard to find over there, he won’t have the ability to track stuff down.

It's hard to go wrong with Japanese Whisky as they are full of complex flavor but with any Whisky it really depends on your and his tastes.
Ones that I like but are easy to find are

Yamazaki, Hibiki and Nikka. There are different years and styles for each though. Suntory is the most widely available Whisky but you can get that in ABC stores in NC easily. Now if he "owes" you... tell him to get you a Yamazaki 12.... not really cheap, should be easy to get and my current favorite Japanese Whisky. A Matsui Shuzo would also be a good choice.

Last edited:
@mtweller somebody was just telling me to watch a Netflix doc on Fyre Festival. Never heard of it but it was described as the kind of train wreck that’d make me want to kill myself.

Of course, this clearly indicates that I have no idea what you’re talking about.

@mtweller somebody was just telling me to watch a Netflix doc on Fyre Festival. Never heard of it but it was described as the kind of train wreck that’d make me want to kill myself.

Of course, this clearly indicates that I have no idea what you’re talking about.

Watch and report back. I don't often have funny jokes, but this one landed pretty square in the hilarious box.

Watch and report back. I don't often have funny jokes, but this one landed pretty square in the hilarious box.

:lol: it had me giggling at my desk

Tell him to check the duty free shop at the airport on flight home as there are several varieties of Blantons that are not sold in the US but can be found in Asia typically!

Its a good doc, but it was done by the marketing firm that also worked for the festival. They take a little blame, but are quick to put most of it on Billy

As JToobe said, there are varieties of Blantons in the Duty Free stores that you can’t get here - “Straight From the Barrel”, “Blanton’s Gold”, etc.

Japanese whisky is good, but they are generally similar to Scotch....malted barley whisky. If you like Scotch, you’ll probably like them.

Other stuff to look for includes Wild Turkey 13-year (about $65, but should be plentiful and they don’t sell it here), Evan Williams 12-year (about $35, but plentiful and they don’t sell it here), and Four Roses Super Premium (I think it was a little more expensive than the Wild Turkey. I saw it in a couple places, and I believe it’s also not available here.)

The Yakuza may pay you a visit if you go to Japan and bring American Whiskey back ;)

But you say he owes you.... so a quick 30 minute phone call to a junkyard over there and a 1HDT-FE could be on it's way to you.

Super bowl selection
B8FD7569-0CAD-41AC-8F0D-07F05AA3EEDE.jpeg

Started to grab a bottle of Breckenridge and noticed the sediment at the bottom swirl up. I take it thats normal? But noticed the others even unfiltered options didnt have it.

Grabbed the yellow label for 16.99 as the jan special. Waffled between the elijiah small batch and cask strength. Cask really worth the $x2 premium?

There is a bit in the bottom of mine.
01B9B6D4-628C-4594-9322-E7E45138711D.jpeg
Started to grab a bottle of Breckenridge and noticed the sediment at the bottom swirl up. I take it thats normal? But noticed the others even unfiltered options didnt have it.

Grabbed the yellow label for 16.99 as the jan special. Waffled between the elijiah small batch and cask strength. Cask really worth the $x2 premium?

Gotcha. Thanks. This was more a cloudy flaky haze like the mothers in the bottome of a bottle of vinegar.

It's fairly common but I'd guess that bottle wasnt sealed right originally

Picked up a bottle of Elijah Craig Small Batch Barrel Proof at the local ABC.

How much did you pay for the Weller Red label?

It's going to make you sick ... $32. I bought a couple of bottle before I left Memphis. My local shop had about 100 bottles I could have gotten.

Yes, that is sickening!!! Buddy in Peachtree City GA just got a bottle for $79 which he thought was a deal after I spotted a bottle in Vail for $125....not sure I have the heart to tell him this....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom