Bought a Stout. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Happened upon a 1965 Stout 1900 and ended up taking it home. Pretty cool little truck! Needs some work, but planning to leave as much patina as possible.

It has a 20R with a 4-speed on the floor. Trying to figure out exactly which 20R it is and what it may have come from.

20200327_093111.jpg

Here's the engine
IMG_20200327_111506_993.jpg

And the block number
20200329_170521.jpg

Any ideas? I've looked online for any resource to decode a engine block for Toyotas haven't found anything. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Is there more than one 20R?

I don't believe so, especially major parts like the crank seal. I suspect the crank seal on the 20R is the same as a 22R/RE.

I don't believe so, especially major parts like the crank seal. I suspect the crank seal on the 20R is the same as a 22R/RE.

Kinda what I thought. One nice thing about this truck is a bolt-in core support. Super easy access to the front of the engine! Thanks for the reply.

Here's the engine,
And the block number
I seem to recall Toyota put a casting number on them that can be coded to date of manufacturer. Not the stamped serial number. Paging @cruiserdan.

Happened upon a 1965 Stout 1900 and ended up taking it home.

Also, so you know, Woody made a dedicated Stout forum for you folks. I will move your post over in a bit … after we have all drooled over it. Beside, lots of overlap. More pics, please.

Huh. Is it hidden? Don't know why I missed it. Thanks. You want pics? I got pics.

Huh. Is it hidden? Don't know why I missed it. Thanks. You want pics? I got pics.

Scroll all the way down the Forums list. It's with the other unicorns.

I'll admit my vintage Toyota ignorance... I read the thread title and thought "Oops, he misspelled 'Scout'."

Yeah... I know, inexcusable. But I have "Scout" on the brain - just order a 1/10 scale RC Scout - part of my coronapocalypse boredom therapy.

I'll admit my vintage Toyota ignorance... I read the thread title and thought "Oops, he misspelled 'Scout'."

Yeah... I know, inexcusable. But I have "Scout" on the brain - just order a 1/10 scale RC Scout - part of my coronapocalypse boredom therapy.
When I met my future wife she was driving a Scout II. It was love at first sight. :beer:

Cool Stout!

For years, no one wanted these old things, but I think the funky 1960s Japanese styling is starting to come into its own. I’ve never sat in one, but I’ve heard the interior is cramped and uncomfortable, especially for taller drivers...is this true?

Cool Stout!

For years, no one wanted these old things, but I think the funky 1960s Japanese styling is starting to come into its own. I’ve never sat in one, but I’ve heard the interior is cramped and uncomfortable, especially for taller drivers...is this true?

Yes, definitely.

Whatever you do, DO NOT paint over the “logo” on the door(s) and bed! Those are pure gold!

Definitely post lots more pics!

Whatever you do, DO NOT paint over the “logo” on the door(s) and bed! Those are pure gold!

Definitely post lots more pics!

Agreed, and I'm going to do everything I can to preserve them. If not, I'll take detailed pics and then hire someone to reproduce them. The reason for this is the last layer of paint is that bad chalky grey and there's some really nice old patina'd blue-green underneath it. We'll see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom