Bolt on turbo kit (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If you dont ship it and decide to drive it back stop in Louisville and ill buy you a meal, and a shot.

You need to turbo the 450!
then stand alone the computer and start dumping fuel and boost till its faster then the Hellcat! DO IT!

👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹
👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹👹

In all seriousness, not counting the engine, how much would it cost to have a legit shop make something like that happen?

I’m really sorry for the loss and setback, really. But somehow this makes me burst out laughing, to the point of tears, every time I think of that dumb azz hooning an 80. That turbo must be intoxicating.

Joey needs to add pics of the crash to the last page of the instructions.
“Step XXX: Don’t do this.”

@DylanICON flr what must have been a gut check situation, I really admire the way you’re handling yourself publically. I’ve run icons on a 2nd gen taco and loved them. I’ve got a second hand pair of 2.0 slinky spec icons on the 80 I’m trying to get my daughter to buy, and while a tad underdampened for my taste, it’s still a quality product. I’m really hoping you get a swift resolution to all this heart ache.

@NLXTACY if there’s anything that can assist you, I’ll do whatever I can. I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one in the community that has a strong desire to help you recover. And there’s more ways to lend a hand that financially. You’re not alone man.

I’m really sorry for the loss and setback, really. But somehow this makes me burst out laughing, to the point of tears, every time I think of that dumb azz hooning an 80. That turbo must be intoxicating.

I hate to admit it but I'm going to be "that" dumb azz hooning an 80 when the turbo comes :flipoff2: I'll be sure to leave a large room for error. Being part time Tcase, I wonder if I could break the rear end loose!

Last edited:
I see a chance to dyno the engine alone with the turbo, is there a facility nearby that can do something like that? May never get the chance again, its installed, engine needs to come out anyways sounds like. Would be interesting to really know what the engine produces. Maybe a tech school would have an engine dyno and a day or two to mess with it. Could pull it off and run it again stock just to see how much BS Toyota was throwing out there on factory power.

I can't say I would get a turbo, I would like a turbo, and need a turbo pulling our trailer, but I'm sorry the turn this project took for both of you, just sickening. Appreciate the hard work though.

I see a chance to dyno the engine alone with the turbo, is there a facility nearby that can do something like that? May never get the chance again, its installed, engine needs to come out anyways sounds like. Would be interesting to really know what the engine produces. Maybe a tech school would have an engine dyno and a day or two to mess with it. Could pull it off and run it again stock just to see how much BS Toyota was throwing out there on factory power.

I can't say I would get a turbo, I would like a turbo, and need a turbo pulling our trailer, but I'm sorry the turn this project took for both of you, just sickening. Appreciate the hard work though.

Can we get it on engine masters, the Motortrend show? Tons of publicity and its located in southern California. I'd love to see that episode.

Can we get it on engine masters, the Motortrend show? Tons of publicity and its located in southern California. I'd love to see that episode.
I’m sure MotorTrend would be more than happy to put an advertising quote together for a WitsEnd branded content package. (There ain’t no free lunches.)

The plan moving forward (UPDATED):

On Sunday Dylan (from ICON) and myself inspected his totaled 80 series that housed my turbo for CARB compliance testing. Although the truck is a complete loss, it appears that there was a force field around the entire turbo kit. The air cleaner housing “kissed” the turbo’s compressor housing, leaving a paint mark. The downpipe would have been damaged but the decision to use two flex joints, one at the wastage and one at the turbine housing, saved the downpipe from being twisted along with the forward catalytic converter.

The downpipe and the intake pipes were removed and taken to my pipe shop to have jigs made. So that entire process is absolutely moving forward. I paid the deposit for those pieces and ordered up all of the US made t-bolt clamps and US made silicone couplers.

In short, the Phoenix WILL RISE AGAIN! Everything is moving forward.

I had a total of 42 trucks for sale that were sent my way and I am very appreciative for all of those, so thank you. I have not decided on one yet because I do have a little bit of time now but I will need to purchase one coming up soon. This will be the customer facing/event truck moving forward. It’s not how I envisioned it because the idea was Dylan was going to get the turbo bragging rights and attend whatever events he was planning on taking the truck to. All that has changed. I have to brand/market the truck somehow and not sure just yet what I’m going to do. I have time.

Right now I am going to work on bringing the new-to-me turbo truck to Overland Expo but ZERO promises. Everything will all depend on the planets aligning. I have 90% of the kit ready so as long as I get pieces back from the shop I might be ok. We shall see.

Since the project is 100% moving forward I am activating the pre-orders. In order to guarantee this happens I need less barriers to entry.

I have lots of other plates spinning that are non-turbo related to fill in the gaps in time that I currently have. But nothing is stopping on my end.

damaged-engine-bay.png

praise be to the gods of 80s for the wits end turbo force field! ...Will this be offered as an add on option?

praise be to the gods of 80s for the wits end turbo force field! ...Will this be offered as an add on option?
Combine with chinese snorkel to amplify the force field.

Awesome news!! Any worries about the downpipe having been bent or twisted?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom