Bolt on turbo kit (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I’m in and committed. If it takes a little longer, it takes a little longer. If it takes a lot longer, then I’m hoping for a spare patch or two when it finally ships.

Anyone who ever thought about getting a diesel adapters kit, or a LS swap going and all the investment that would go into such an endeavor, just needs to buy this kit and let Joey work his magic.

The legwork is more than 90% of the way done. Can’t give up this close to the finish line.

Trying to catch up on what appears to be quickly changing set of events. Is this a fairly accurate summary:

1. There was one test turbo truck, a truck on loan to Wit's End for turbo testing
2. That one test turbo truck is now dead due to an accident at SEMA
3. Turbo project now on hold until a new 80 can be acquired to serve as the next test turbo truck
4. No more pre-orders accepted due to the uncertainty and timeline of turbo project
5. Keep eyes and ears open for Joey's next test turbo truck which will be acquired & owned by Wit's End

I’m in and committed. If it takes a little longer, it takes a little longer. If it takes a lot longer, then I’m hoping for a spare patch or two when it finally ships.

Anyone who ever thought about getting a diesel adapters kit, or a LS swap going and all the investment that would go into such an endeavor, just needs to buy this kit and let Joey work his magic.

The legwork is more than 90% of the way done. Can’t give up this close to the finish line.

I’m always optimistic. Ask my doctors.

Maybe by the time the turbo kit is ready to roll, the inter cooler kit will be ready as well.... 😎

A few years ago the Capital Land Cruiser Club raffled off a 40 we restored for charity. We did the research and as long as the gross ticket sales were $40k or less we didn't have to do any registration or paperwork. This was in Virginia though.

Guys, it's pretty clear Joey wants to address this on his own. I too would be happy to throw some (more) money at the problem, but let the man run his business do what he feels is best. If he needs our help, I'm sure he will ask.

I'll be shopping Wits' End to see what other crap my truck might need (I would prioritize the most profitable products if I knew what they were :eek: )

I appreciate the stand up attitude that Joey is displaying. The decision to be self reliant is also indicative of someone who sees the long term possibilities with their business. This is a setback today, but in the long run this situation will be seen through a much different perspective only time can provide. Keep up the good work!

How do you all do it? My goodness, at every turn there is an issue with California. Is the weather that good?

The weather is pretty amazing and there's a lot of good food, especially Asian food. Lots of jobs which is why I moved here but I'm constantly looking forward to moving back to Texas where the cost of living is reasonable and you're not getting taxed to death and crushed by the bureaucracy of the state. Oh, and the gas station around the corner has been $4.19 for the past week. If I can stomach driving a few miles and waiting in line for 15-20 minutes I can save some money because Costco is "only" $3.79.

California is a great place to visit, I wouldn't mind living in Arizona or Nevada where I could easily road trip in and camp at all the beautiful natural spots in CA.

Back on topic, I was really bummed to see how all this turned out. I do like how Joey has been handling it though, I've never met him but he seems like a real good dude and I'm sure I'll be placing a Wit's End order on one thing or another next time I'm cruisin' for cruiser parts. Seems like supporting vendors you like with business is the best response we as a community can have to this sort of thing.

I wonder what the parameters behind a sweepstakes would be. Given, that California deems a sweepstake differently from a raffle.

I.e. for every $5.00 spent you automatically get X amount of entries to the giveaway of a completed turbo kit.

Maybe this approach could be a bit safer.

I was out of town in Moab UT when the accident happened. With the speed of communication and that the vehicle is recognizable, I found out right away as a couple of friends called the office.
My wife was able to get the vehicle released form impound while I was still out of town and it is now in my posesion
Joey and I looked everything over yesterday. luckily the turbo components we were worried about being damaged " appear " to be ok. My guess is the set back of the time table for the kit is not nearly as bad as it could have been given the situation, but Joey will have to determine that.
The 80 sustained WAY more damage when I saw it in person then I originally thought from the early pictures and very little is salvageable. I always joked that if I payed myself $5/hr to build and TIG weld the aluminum roof rack that I doubled the value of the vehicle. unfortunately it is totally junk. I was hoping to give it to a friend.
I have spoken to 2 of the higher ups at SEMA both of whom I have known for years. I have no doubt that SEMA will make sure that both Joey and myself are whole from the situation.

Lastly, a testament to the vehicle:
for 23 years there have been airbags, just siting there, waiting, till it was time to do their job, and they did. The driver was shaken but unharmed after sheering a power pole to the ground and it appears to have rolled too. There are also arc burns and holes all over it from the power lines that landed on it.
He is lucky to be alive (although unemployed I hope)

He is lucky to be alive (although unemployed I hope)

A buddy of mine was at Hollister and rolled his 80 200ft down the side of the hill. He and his buddy survived but broke his arm and was really banged up. 80s are tanks and I haven't really heard of to many people getting killed in an 80. The only thing that stopped the roll was a big ass tree. The tree branch impaled his arm and he had to be helicoptered out.

Both 4x4labs front, rear and sliders were not bent with a some small scuffs. The 4x4 3 can gas holder was slightly bent but thats an easy swap since they can be replaced by bolting a new one on.

Once everything is settled it sure would be interesting to see the final police report and get an idea what he did to almost kill himself and Joey’s project.

What a dip****.

Once everything is settled it sure would be interesting to see the final police report and get an idea what he did to almost kill himself and Joey’s project.

What a dips***.
I'm more than curious!
I was planning on keeping the 80 for life.
I have been driving company cars while Joey had my cruiser. But the 80 was my only personal vehicle for the last 5-6 years!

I'm more than curious!
I was planning on keeping the 80 for life.
I have been driving company cars while Joey had my cruiser. But the 80 was my only personal vehicle for the last 5-6 years!

Well, unfortunately, you need to update your sig line with a strike through on the 96..........

I'm sorry for your loss.......

Someone will want to buy the scrapped vehicle for the engine and driveline.... All is not lost......

Well, unfortunately, you need to update your sig line with a strike through on the 96..........

I'm sorry for your loss.......

Someone will want to buy the scrapped vehicle for the engine and driveline.... All is not lost......
T-case is broke in half
rear axle is probably good

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom