bodylift steering gear box (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys,

I have some problems on my 1978 FJ40 and hope you can help me. :)

It´s previous owner installed a 3cm bodylift.
Therefore I had to put a aloy block below the steering box to align/bring back the steering shaft to it´s original position.
Otherwise there would be pressure on the steering coupling because the steering column is not in line with the steering gear box.

This rise caused another problem... There is almost no space between the linkage (which goes from the steering gear box pitman arm to the front pitman arm) and the shocks.
My idea was to find a steering gear box pitman arm, which is a little bit longer than the original one.
It could help to lower the linkage to have again more space.

Can you help me on this topic? Do you know a fitting arm from another vehicle which is longer or do you have another solution?
I would like to avoid welding.

Thank you in advance,
Matthias

I don't personally know of any longer pitman arms but there may be one. Resist the temptation to weld an extension to your existing arm.

Do you realize that A longer pitman arm will change the ratio at which your steering box operates, and magnify issues in the steering system?

Like one full turn lock-to-lock? Who wouldn't want that in a 40 at highway speeds? Or off road for that matter. Think of the rotator cuff injuries with every rock and rut.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom