Gear box oil... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi folks,
time to service my 40-Series and, after a long pause, bring it back to the road again...
I changed the gear box oil: according to the owner's manual the specs are API GL-4 or 5 and viscosity SAE 90.

Went to my local parts shop and they gave me this gear oil: specs GL-5 and viscosity 80W90 (see pic).
Heard that it could be too thick for a gear box and a 75W90 could be better. Do you think so?
I would highly appreciate your input!

PS. The climate here, in S. Greece, is Mediterranean (Californian): today, 5-13C (40-55F).

Gear oil.jpg

Gear oil 80W90.jpg

Last edited:
I assume by gear box you are referring to the transmission and not the transfer case. I don't think viscosity will be an issue but there could be an issue with the synchros if you use a GL5 spec in a GL4 spec transmission. Apparently there are additives in the GL5 gear oil that mess with the operation of the synchros. I'm not aware of any issues with using GL5 spec in a GL4 spec transfer case.

I would try to find a GL4 spec gear oil. Not sure how difficult it is to find in Greece but my go-to manual transmission gear oil is Redline Synthetic MT-90. FWIW I use their 75W90 in the transfer and differentials.

Good luck getting it back on the road. You must be close if you are down to fluids.

I assume by gear box you are referring to the transmission and not the transfer case. I don't think viscosity will be an issue but there could be an issue with the synchros if you use a GL5 spec in a GL4 spec transmission. Apparently there are additives in the GL5 gear oil that mess with the operation of the synchros. I'm not aware of any issues with using GL5 spec in a GL4 spec transfer case.

I would try to find a GL4 spec gear oil. Not sure how difficult it is to find in Greece but my go-to manual transmission gear oil is Redline Synthetic MT-90. FWIW I use their 75W90 in the transfer and differentials.

Good luck getting it back on the road. You must be close if you are down to fluids.
Thank you Greg!
Hope I will be able to post some progress with the BJ42 soon and...
yes, this is for the transmission gear box and its synchros. According to the 1984 owner's manual both API GL-4 and GL-5 oils can be used.
Cheers, Demetrios

According to the 1984 owner's manual both API GL-4 and GL-5 oils can be used.
Good to know Demetrios. I didn't know Toyota transmissions were compatible with GL-5 that far back.

I was going to offer to send you some Redline Synthetic in exchange for some Liotrivi Estate extra virgin olive oil (in Monemvasia).........but since you can use what you bought then I guess we will just have to travel back to Peloponnese. :D

Good to know Demetrios. I didn't know Toyota transmissions were compatible with GL-5 that far back.

I was going to offer to send you some Redline Synthetic in exchange for some Liotrivi Estate extra virgin olive oil (in Monemvasia).........but since you can use what you bought then I guess we will just have to travel back to Peloponnese. :D
That would be a good deal since we do have two good quality oils... :)

But now it seems that you would rather travel back to Peloponnese: that would be great news to me Greg
...and I could show you the olive grove country in style!

R4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom