Blue colored grease who makes it? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Recently I pulled apart the front hubs on a friends 80 that was previously repacked by Safari LTD. The greased they used is a translucent blue color. After 40K on the repack everything looked perfect and much better than my Mobile 1. I could call Hugh up and ask but rather then bother them I thought I would ask here first. Anyone know what it is and who makes it?

I have blue grease, it's not transparent though, but I have seen that in trucks a few times. Got it at Ace Hardware.

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436638053.663959.jpg

ImageUploadedByIH8MUD Forum1436638026.700703.jpg

Are you sure it was the grease that helped and not that the truck wasn't run through water and mud repeatedly?

Mobil1 Polyrex EM is blue but its not a moly grease

Its an electric motor bearing grease. I think its for high temp applications where a non-conductive grease is required.

Cerulean from valvoline is blue too.

CV high temp Molly is blue. It is what we use at the dealership. Only thing I'll put in my hubs. Expensive but it's worth it due to how labor intensive that front axel rebuild is. Got a dude over that can knock out an axel in an hour an half. Crazy!

@LandCruiserPhil did you ever find out what kind of grease they used?

Yes I confirmed, ordered, and it arrived the other day.

Been banging the same old stuff for so long Im excited getting into some strange and look forward to a strong performance.

Mobile XHP 222:) - not to be confused with XHP 222 Special:(

IMG_2803.JPG
IMG_2804.JPG

Again after 40K it looked like a fresh job

thanks! So are you going to use it for the birfs too? Looks like the xhp 222 is non-moly and the special is moly fortified.

222 for my wheel bearings only.
For my birf I will stay with Valvoline, 222 Special is pretty light on the molly IIRC

@LandCruiserPhil
Question about your blue grease. How has it held up in your garage in the Arizona heat? I notice my Mobile1 red stuff will have a small pool of liquid in the container during the summer months. Thinking about switching to the blue if it holds up better.

@LandCruiserPhil
Question about your blue grease. How has it held up in your garage in the Arizona heat? I notice my Mobile1 red stuff will have a small pool of liquid in the container during the summer months. Thinking about switching to the blue if it holds up better.

I agree with you on the red.
So far nothing on the blue.

I set up a test outside using 3 different greases. Tomorrow is going to be 108°, hot enough to compare. Ill report back with some pic tomorrow.

I meant to post this a while back...

For a few years I've been using a high quality multi purpose lithium grease made for the lower unit of Yamaha outboard engines. Now that's a place that sees heat, contamination, and corrosive elements. It's blue of course, in keeping with the thread topic, and I wonder if this is a similar formulation to the above ^ . I do know that it does it's intended job very very well, and that surf and offshore fishermen pack the gearboxes of their heavy duty fishing reels and trailer wheel bearings, both subjected to lots salt water, and this blue grease doesn't wear out, wash off, or allow corrosion. I'm tempted to try it on my 80 and think I will.

41YasvQnqYL.jpg

Going blue next bearing re-lube. Mobil 1 red doesn’t hold up to the heat in hot climates. Good info here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom