BJ75 Ex firetruck (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

I've been researching land cruisers for a pan Americana trip (cliché, I know) and continuously find myself on this site reading information so I finally decided to create an account.

I have found a vehicle which I believe fits my specifications, the only issue I have with it is that it was once a firetruck in Belgium. I've owned an old Mercedes Benz fire truck in the past (1224 AF) and I know they do some unnatural things to the electronics in order to install lights and what have you. For the MB things are likely a bit more messy because they get into the pneumatics as well. I'm wondering if anyone has any past exp with buying an old land cruiser firetruck and if there's any particulars to watch out for.

vehicle info
Year: 1986-1990
Frame: BJ75
Grade: LX
Body: HT
Engine: 3B
Model: Land Cruiser 70
Vehicle Model: Land Cruiser
Driver's Position: LHD
Fuel Induction: DSL
Axle Code: K085 Full Float Limited Slip 4.111 Ratio
Transmission Code: H55F Manual 5 Speed
3B 3.4L Diesel
Manual 5 Speed Transmission
Limited Slip Rear End
4.111:1 Gear Ratio

Images are attached. I'm showing the dash area where wires have been sort of jammed in. Also there's some rust on the frame I can see behind the tire. This thing is is North Carolina and I'm in Oregon. There's a good chance I would buy this without seeing it in person, I've never considered doing anything like this before and am for sure nervous. Any input or warnings here are appreciated!

bolt.jpg

dash.jpg

overviewtroopy.jpg

rust.jpg

front.jpg

Nice rig you've found!
1) the rust is what I'd be most concerned about
2) cables on the Troopy are always jammed back there behind the radio, it's super tight on the metal-dash 70-series
3) you should see it in person if you can, it's worth getting on a plane to inspect if you're serious about buying. If you like it, you can simply drive home...

I would replace the tires if they aren't fairly new. If that is the only rust then I wouldn't worry too much, looks to be surface. It will be slow with a 3B especially any and all hill climbs. Would want to make sure the cooling system is in top shape for that long a drive.

Oh, also you might want to look at the IH8MUD classifieds. You’ll need LHD for some of Central America, @Honger has two gassers in different conditions for sale that are closer to you and well represented. Overall, diesel > gas, but for many people anything > 3B especially for longer trips. And for the americas, gas is totally fine.
Edit: that BJ75 also has no A/C…

This really looks like a vehicle that's been cheaply tarted up for sale.. it looks like there's some very poorly hidden rust which makes me deeply suspicious of the entire vehicle. I would lay money on a proper inspection showing it be a complete rust bucket.

1694640467700.png

Hello,

Chances are the paint fairy may have visited this truck.

Other than that, it does not look bad.

I would pay for an inspection.

Juan

Oh, also you might want to look at the IH8MUD classifieds. You’ll need LHD for some of Central America, @Honger has two gassers in different conditions for sale that are closer to you and well represented. Overall, diesel > gas, but for many people anything > 3B especially for longer trips. And for the americas, gas is totally fine.
Edit: that BJ75 also has no A/C…
While I understand the whole diesel > gas idea... the 1FZ that are in the trucks I'm selling are ubiquitous across the entirety of the PanAmerican route if it's maintenance/upkeep that you're worried about.

I'm a bit closer to you... if you've got any business in Phoenix you'd be welcome to scope out my trucks just for point-of-reference even if you're not interested in buying a gasser.

Woah, so many instant replied and ton of information!

I've been reading comments on the thread Duncanrm provided regarding the prior owners listing of this vehicle.

As I wandered down the worm hole of comments I found a comment related to the original auction. So it looks like 3 owners, or maybe like 1 true owner and then 2 guys who are more like flippers. I don't know what we'd call it.

1st auction € 9,900
2nd sell €18,950
3rd sell €44,980

This is all very informal analysis hahaha

In any case I will definitely go see this thing before I buy it. Some great points such as i should take my SO with me, and her and I should make sure we can live with the 3b. Also that it might just overall be a bastardized rust bucket lol.

Flippers be flippin'. That's why it's best to try to get one from a respected importer - you're lower down on the flip food chain. By the time you try to buy it from the second dentist that owned it, it's miraculously worth $70K. Honger's post above is one you should pay attention to.

Here's a whole lot more pictures if y'all are still interested.

Looks like there's a bit of rust... I'm really not great at knowing which is beyond what I should be messing with and which is okay / can easily be repaired.

Troopy Undercarriage - https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fo/yr1vqfyoiiuuf48qfyk0a/h?rlkey=8oploywhk4uxut18wvtdytxlv&dl=0
Not to toot my own horn... but the unrestored project truck I have listed for $32,500 would require observably less work to baseline than the red firetruck. A carb'd 1FZ would be far superior to a 3B... and the H150 is such a smoother transmission than the H55. Heck, the restored truck I've got removes ALL physical baseline work from your equation for not much more than the last sale price of the thread subject truck.

Maybe I'm charging way too little...

Not to toot my own horn... but the unrestored project truck I have listed for $32,500 would require observably less work to baseline than the red firetruck. A carb'd 1FZ would be far superior to a 3B... and the H150 is such a smoother transmission than the H55. Heck, the restored truck I've got removes ALL physical baseline work from your equation for not much more than the last sale price of the thread subject truck.

Maybe I'm charging way too little...

Thanks for the link I;ll check it out!

This truck was sold 10 kilometers from where I work. Funny to see it turn up on the other side of the world. What a time to be alive.

As said: I was at the auction and it sold for € 9900,00. The rust wasn't that bad a year ago (for a public service truck that has spent nearly 40 winters in a country where they use salt in winters).

Mechanical: it had low coolant at auction and the engine idled too high. No visible signs of coolant leaks. I know these injection pumps very well and I'm 99 % sure the membrane in the pump is ruptured, sucking too much air in the intake (hence high idle).

Knowing the kind of people who do this flippin': don't count on any of the mechanical issues being solved.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom