Bj74 pto vs elec winch (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
What the consensus on the toyo elec winch, a punter is selling one, claiming 15000pound capacity, has the remote with power and overheat lights in remote. It's actually coming off a bj74
I have the pto in the shed as a project about 80% done ( need to amend shaft lengths and fab I to bar). Now I'm thinking do I go a toyo elec winch, don't see them too often and considering to put my cruiser instead of a pto, what are the pros & cons?.

15,000 pounds seems quite optomistic to say the very least. I would be suspect of that claim.

I have electric winches on two 80 Seeries Land Cruisers and a Dodge truck and a PTO winch on the BJ74.

The PTO on the 74 is a charming accessory that does indeed work. If it was not already there I would be doing an electric winch. Those seem to be a little more flexible and, of course, the engine does not have to be running to use one.

My personal view, others will surely have a different perspective.

Kinda like a short crowbar.....:lol:

If you plan on doing lots of hard winches all day then PTO is the way to go.... As long as your engine is running you are all sweet.
Electric are great but are only as good as your batteries and alternator... At some point they will run out of puff.
I suppose its really a depends. hahahahah For me I have cheated and have both.

I 'm interested in this topic as well,
My car is a overlanding 78 , heavy when traveling , destination Africa , with some mud .
Just me and my wife.
PTO , or electric ?

Rgs Renago

To quote myself from another thread: "PTO's are super reliable and can run all day without worry and definitely have a cool factor...... until the motors not running and you need to winch the truck off of its side, out of a hole or onto a trailer, then they are useless. Oh and then when the shear pin lets go and your buried in mud and now tied to a tree. Also they are no good for winching and driving together as the speed of your wheels and the speed of your winch dont even come close to matching up. Not to mention they really kill the approach angle in factory form."

On the other hand if going electric as mentioned your batteries and alternator must be up to the task. I use marine batteries as standard automotive batteries are not designed to be deeply discharged and recharged

Last edited:
What the consensus on the toyo elec winch, a punter is selling one, claiming 15000pound capacity, has the remote with power and overheat lights in remote. It's actually coming off a bj74
I have the pto in the shed as a project about 80% done ( need to amend shaft lengths and fab I to bar). Now I'm thinking do I go a toyo elec winch, don't see them too often and considering to put my cruiser instead of a pto, what are the pros & cons?.

Hopefully you weren't looking for a definitive answer ....... :)

I'm a fan of electric, purely for your options when the motor is not running. Recently rolled my BJ74 and used the electric to recover, no hope if it was a PTO. Electric does require maintenance to ensure it is in good working order, I run two 900cca batteries, on a recent night drive did at least 10 long hard winches over 2 hours without issue, all lights etc running too.

I normally use 2 Yellow Optima 75 A , for running fridge and diesel heater -stove.
Alternator is a Toyota 78 stock , i think 55-65 Ah.
what bugs me is that when I get stuck the car is sitting on the frame fully loaded , say 3600 Kg .
in mud or wet seaside sand , or water ,with no one around , and first tree at 50-100 mt .
we normally never try to do funny things such as rock climbing or very difficult trials .
we are overlanders, so most of the time the car stays rather flat on the ground !
I guess that the PTO can work out in stages with less fatigue then electric.
maybe less delicate towards elements ?
to the sheer pin is really delicate ?

thanks for suggestions .

Rgs Renago

I have a factory toyota 24v planetary style winch on my truck. I'm pretty sure I have some paperwork somewhere (owners manual or something) that says its a 2000kg winch (~8800lbs). Its fantastic is some respects and not great in others. Pros: The electronics are done really nicely, it has an isolation solenoid that only activates when the ignition is on and the remote is there. It has the really nice overtemp light. The free-spool engage is really easy and positive. Now for the cons: the factory winch bumper really sucks, it destroys your approach angle, the fairlead is crap (its recessed inside the bumper and you get no kind of angle out of it). Its pretty challenging to find a good way to mount it up in an aftermarket bar. The other thing I don't like is that it when you stop winching, if they're is any kind of load on it mine will run the motor backwards and make a really terrible gear grinding noise.

All in all I like it a lot, but if I were going out to buy a winch I'd probably buy an 8274 or the like first.

Last edited:
The Toyota electric winches as fitted to some cruisers aren't that great IMHO - seen it a couple of times where if they stall out under load they just lock up & you can't spool or power out, so you're literally left hanging. I'd take the PTO over one of them any time. Not sure if they're all the same though.

I really like my PTO - reliable, fast & strong, holds heaps of cable. Replacing a shear pin is no big deal, once you get a bit of a feel for it you won't break many. While the std 74/60 series porch mount is pretty horrible in my LJ71 there's room to mount it way back mostly under the grill. If doing lots of hardcore single vehicle offroading I would rather have a PTO winch than electric, I carry a tirfor style hand winch in those situations anyway which can take care of righting a tipped vehicle.

Often when out with a group & there's a long pull to be done a PTO equipped wagon will winch up the long hill 1st, then tie back & pull up those with electric winches - usually less dicking around than waiting for the glacial progress of an electric winch.

Electrics can be good for some purposes though - much more convenient to use if you are solo, especially with the new wireless remotes. As mentioned above, you need to have an electrical system that can keep up.

Cheers
Clint

Last edited:
downloadfile.jpeg
Your comments about your 24v Toyota winch are surprising to me. I have the Toyota Aisin 1000, which is basically a copy of the Warn 8274 and I have never had any problems or complaints with it. Best electric winch I have ever owned

Nice bumper. Really nice.

Just to update, that winch and bj74 lasted 1 weekend, the punter had 4 ads, bullbar, winch, EOI on whole rig, and parting out, Looks like someone took the rig complete, oh well I will continue on with my pto winch project , happy days

as you'll see by the previous posts most of us kiwi's over here are pretty keen on PTO winches, one thing to bear in mind with the toyo PTO's is they have a very small under-rated shear pin (about 4mm) and they shear pretty easily so make sure you've got a few spares in the ashtray or even better if your doing heavier work with the winch weld a bit of steel onto the end of the coupling and drill the shear pin out to 6 or 8mm it'll work fine without exploding the winch or PTO :) as far as pulling power goes my PTO winch leaves my old 8274 for dead I'd never go back, yeah I know you can stand your truck back up onto its feet or winch dead with an electric winch but it all depends what your doing I never go out 4WDing on my own so theres always other trucks and winches there if I run into problems

IMG_2830.JPG
IMG_2834.JPG
At work in the oilpatch moving drilling rigs hydraulic is king and mechanical PTO's are dinosaurs. All the advantages of electric and PTO combined. Plus the added safety of being able to set hydraulic pressure to cut out before breaking the winch line. The only down side is you still need the motor running. Unfortuanetly I have yet to see a really good hydraulic set up on a 4x4

Here I am winching a 35,000kg (77,000lbs) building with a 27,000kg (60,000lbs) winch double lined onto a 40 wheel trailer combonation

Oh and for those in the know yes this hydraulic pump is PTO driven but the superior system uses a clutch and shaft right off the front of the engines crank to spin the pump giving 100% "live" hydraulics

Mahlaki, my comments were definitely not about the type of winch in your pic. The ones I've seen stall out & lock up were the in-line planetary geared electric ones.

Unfortuanetly I have yet to see a really good hydraulic set up on a 4x4

You need to come visit a few Kiwi winch challenge events! I know a few guys with some quite impressive custom built PTO driven hydraulic winches. Very nice for several reasons but $$$$ & a bit of work to install.

Cheers
Clint

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom