13BT vs 3F vs 1FZ (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey, for those fortunate fellow cruiserhead members that have been blessed with the pleasure to drive similar-equipped SWB 70s with either engine, how would you compare them in terms of power?

All kidding aside, I'm in the marked for a SWB 70 series (70/71), and am between one equipped with a 13BT, another with a 3F, and a third one with a 1FZ engine. All are MTs. Not considering engine reliability, parts availability, condition, nor price, how would you compare their power. I'm aware these are utility and not sport vehicles, and would like to know which one is nicer to drive.

Thank you for your comments!

Dario

13BT - My 2nd favourite all time engine. a Heavenly match for a SWB 70 series. Excellence, incarnate.
3F. Write your suicide note in advance. You'll thank me by 3rd gear. Now that I think it through, you should probably just go ahead and thank me ahead of time in the note.
1FZ. As someone who's income and future pension is paid by the petroleum industry, I suppose now I should be thanking you for your financial sacrifice, unwavering patronage of my industry, and commitment to my personal fortune.

I highly recommend you get the 1FZ.

Can you not get a 73/74?

MWB is so very pleasant to drive.

I really like the IFZ-F in my 1994 FZJ75. If anything it feels overpowered given the modest weight of the truck. I haven't driven any of the diesels so I can't offer a comparison.

I agree with @bottombracket

If you can get the 73/74 then do that, better wheelbase, more storage/passenger room, plus ability to pull that top or go soft top which is awesome.

The 13bt runs great, especially with an upgraded or even correct sized turbo. 20mpg all day. It’s a raunchy little engine,torquey and snaps on/off.

That said a 1fz-f will have more getup and go…adding a holly sniper will make it even better. Smoother, higher revving and will feel modern.

3F is at the bottom of the list, runs good but it’s slow..er than the others.

I guess it depends on what driving experience you want. The 13bt drives very different from the 1fz/3f.

13BT or 1FZE, I had a 3F before my 13BT, only time it was ever good was when the car was on 31''s with a stripped interior, it flew and was happy to 5000rpm, sucked fuel. Any weight, bigger tyres it was terrible. 13BT (better turbo) is quicker, far more off idle torque and uses literally less than half the fuel of the 3F.

after a proper regear the 3F in my Troopy isnt bad at all, but if i had the choice today i'd do the 1FZ, of course if money was no object i'd drop a 2UZ in.

after a proper regear the 3F in my Troopy isnt bad at all, but if i had the choice today i'd do the 1FZ, of course if money was no object i'd drop a 2UZ in.
Thank y'all for the info! 👍

Looks like the consensus is:
1st 1FZ
2nd 13BT
3rd 3F

I'll let you know which one I ended up getting.

Thank y'all for the info! 👍

Looks like the consensus is:
1st 1FZ
2nd 13BT
3rd 3F

I'll let you know which one I ended up getting.

Watching this one.

Can you post up the specs for each one?

Like 92 fzj70 145k miles
88 bj71 400k kms

Etc? Since you aren’t giving any more info on each model which would absolutely sway decisions.

ive had a 1990 1pz shorty as my daily for 25years ... amazing little truck ...... petrol sux , go the 13bt and as a bonus a 15bf will drop strait in if you want the ultimate upgrade later on

2891_1132944127574_7486730_n.jpg

Meshal said: "1FZ without thinking"​

Yes, in the Middle East and the USA.
For many other places of the world diesel Land Cruisers remain the most economical Cruisers to run (mainly because of the fuel price)...

Last edited:

Meshal said: "1FZ without thinking"​

Yes, in the Middle East and the USA.
For many other places of the world diesel remains the only sustainable option (mainly because of the fuel price)...
It would be a lot different answer if the question could only have been answered py people having owned all 3 options and at least put a few K miles on all of them . Pretty sure that people living in urban situations might still opt for the gassers but anyone relying on there vehicle to get somewhere and back without getting stranded in a godforsaken place will most likely choose the diesel option

It would be a lot different answer if the question could only have been answered py people having owned all 3 options and at least put a few K miles on all of them . Pretty sure that people living in urban situations might still opt for the gassers but anyone relying on there vehicle to get somewhere and back without getting stranded in a godforsaken place will most likely choose the diesel option
Agree and think it all depends on the quality of vehicle in question, and usage for said vehicle.

will his question about two gas of three engines. that’s what directed my opinion.

but he can get his hand on one of the GD family engines it would be sweet with h151

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom