Builds BJ74 LHD 1HZ+T build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Sorry I'm a little short on picts... more to come.
I’ve owned this BJ70(4) for a few years on and off. Sold it once to a friend, traded to get it back. It’s one of my favorite trucks, though the least driven. You can get used to driving RHD, but doesn’t mean you have to like it. I found it dangerous on curvy roads and uncomfortable. So, after 3 years of driving RHD, I took the plunge. I found a donor BJ70 in Canada, and hitched up a trailer for the drive north. After an adventurous drive through snow and a hilarious border crossing… I was back in the Bay with a 1985 BJ70.
The donor BJ70 was really a clean truck, having been completely rebuilt (though, some bondo) before sliding into a tree. I parted out the truck, and kept the necessary pieces: dash, column, 12-volt wiring harness, brake lines, pedals, etc. etc. and ended up netting back most if not all of my investment.

Picts:
BJ74
Donor BJ70
Partially Dismantled Donor BJ70
BJ74.jpg
3m53pd3lb5V25O35Q0a8db74beb8449c71ebb.jpg
IMG00335-20110116-1627.jpg

Last edited:
The LHD conversion was really straightforward. I had lots of help from Sandcruiser. I think all told, we spent 5 weekends on it, though it was spread across many different afternoons with projects here and there.
I dismantled the BJ74 pretty quickly (having practiced on the BJ70). I had the starter and alternator rewired for 12-volt. I patched all the old pedal and column holes on the RHD; I used plates bolted and sealed in place, since no one will ever see them (under carpet and behind sound proofing. No reason to weld and grind for hours and hours. I cut new holes on the LHD. Drilled a million spot welds to get the column/pedal bracing off. I had to build a bracket to hold the locker handles, but otherwise nearly everything bolted up.
Some things were almost too easy. For example… the 1985 BJ70 had mechanical linkage, but the BJ74 had vacuum. Turns out, all the wiring that is needed for the vacuum solenoids and 4WD button are already part of the 12-volt harness. All I needed was a couple 12-volt 3-port VSVs. But, I did lose Air Conditioning. I’m still looking for a solution here. But living in the Bay Area, has it’s benefits. It’s rarely above 90F.
The only real non-stock thing I did was the steering. An IFS mini truck steering box was used in lieu of the BJ70. I did this because I could get parts easier for that mini truck box, I could buy one without a core from Marlin, and I was able to use the steering plate/bracing for a mini truck. This also left me with a trail spare steering box for my HZJ79. I was able to do all the conversion by only removing one fender and the radiator. I also used 1-ton TRE and DOM tubing, with the TRE on top of the steering arms.

Picts:
Behind the dash of donor BJ70
BJ74 nearly completed as LHD
IFS Mini Truck box on BJ74 frame
IMG00342-20110122-1310.jpg
IMG00427-20110321-2006.jpg
mini-box.jpg

Last edited:
So, after a 6 months of driving the truck has a LHD… I was in heaven. The truck was perfect. Just perfect. Would never need another thing done to… What’s that? A good deal on a 1HZ? Sure!
So, out came the 13BT/H55F/splitcase to make room for a low mileage JDM 1HZ/H55F. After chatting with rick_d, I learned that the transfer case position on an HZJ73 is the same as a BJ74. What this means, is that all I had to do was stab the engine in, and use the rear crossmember for placement. I was able to get HZJ73 motor mounts (the metal part welded to the frame) and isolators (the rubber part) from my local dealer. Because of this I was able to stab the drivetrain, place it using the rear cross-member, and weld up the new motor mounts, in under two hours. Fasted motor swap in the west. Ha ha.

Picts: (edited - better picts)
1 tone TRE in stock steering arms; had to make new stabilizer bracket
1HZ passenger side: note the 1HZ exhaust vs. the 3" pipe (of course, the turbo is missing), the vacuum lines (to be deleted), and motor mount
1HZ Driver Side: ACSD already removed, stock throttle cable should work, IP will get a aneroid (some day).
OEM motor mounts welded to BJ74 frame
Steering_1ton.JPG
1HZ_Pass_Side.JPG
1HZ_driver side.JPG

Last edited:
I plan to turbo the 1HZ using a GT2860RS .64 (ie: Disco Potato). I was really tempted to go with one of the G-Turbos, but part of me just wanted to experiment and I was also running out of budget. The Disco Potato parts added up to about $1360. Parts needed:
-Turbo: ($1030 shipped)
-Oil line: 48” oil line, AN4 to 1/8”NPT fittings Speedway Part #6174060-48 ($25)
-Oil T: Generic 1/8” NPT “T”, Amazon ($10)
EDIT: the thread required for the block is 1/8 in. BSPT; Auto Meter 2269 adapter will work.
-Oil inlet: -4AN oil feed for GT Ball bearing with .035” hole restrictor (amazon or ebay) ($15)
-Oil outlet: 5/8” return flange for T28 ($15)
- Turbo Water Pipe Kit M14x1.5mm (ebay) ($15)
-T25/T28 to 3” V-band adapter ($50)
-1HZ to T25 Adapter $200. (from Australia)
-Will also need a couple silicon elbows to connect air filter to turbo, and turbo to cross over pipe. ($75?)
1HZ_to_T25.jpg
t25vband_2.jpg
braided oil line 48_inch..JPG

Last edited:
on a scale of 1 to 10... 1 being an old B motor... and 10 being the new twin turbo V8 diesel... I'd rate the 13BT as a 4.5

I'd rate the 1HZ as a 5
I'd rate a 1HZ with turbo as a 7
The 1HDT get's an 8
And the 1HDFT get's a 9.

So... why'd I do it? Well, to be honest... someone offered me a good deal on one.

what, the 13BT? Hey, I gave it a "4.5". That's a passing grade. I liked it ok, I just really liked the 1HZ+T and I like doing swaps.

and, I grade on the curve.

The 2F would get a "3", btw.

This is like asking someone why they took at a perfectly good 2F and swapped in a Vortech.
It's the same reason I do anything... chicks dig it. Heh heh.

gifu
I've been waiting for this thread since I learned you were doing the LHD swap. The addition of the 1HZ is a bonus. This is going to be an even greater truck with the new engine. Put me #1 in line if you ever get bored with this rig.
Thanks again for speaking with me some time ago about the 70 series. I haven't bought one but am still lurking.
Peter

what, the 13BT? Hey, I gave it a "4.5". That's a passing grade. I liked it ok, I just really liked the 1HZ+T and I like doing swaps.

and, I grade on the curve.

The 2F would get a "3", btw.

This is like asking someone why they took at a perfectly good 2F and swapped in a Vortech.
It's the same reason I do anything... chicks dig it. Heh heh.

I have driven both, hands down the smooth silkiness of the hz with turbo is SOOO refined....... and does leave a big ass:)on your face.

Rob:cheers:

Looking forward to some more photos of the finished product. Very cool! On my covet scale, I'd rate it a 10.

For my uses the 13B-T was substandard and overheated 4 months out of the year in AZ on highway hill climbs to 5000 feet and could not get to 74 mph on most days.

The 1HD-T power is ideal- and I feel the engine is superior to the 24 valve models. I can do gracefully 80 mph, and climb all day long from Phx to Cordes Junction- Flag on I-17 or Winkleman north to Superior on 177 easily.

Nice choice with the 1HZ!
I am at the stage looking for a 1HZ 7* series myself.

I have driven a few 13Bts without any qualms, but the growing discontinuation of parts sours my taste for them.
Every year a few more parts disappear from Toyota's 13Bt parts inventory. Not a very sustainable engine to be investing big money into and hopping to maintain it for a few more years.

Keep the pics flowing!

For my uses the 13B-T was substandard and overheated 4 months out of the year in AZ on highway hill climbs to 5000 feet and could not get to 74 mph on most days.

The 1HD-T power is ideal- and I feel the engine is superior to the 24 valve models. I can do gracefully 80 mph, and climb all day long from Phx to Cordes Junction- Flag on I-17 or Winkleman north to Superior on 177 easily.

Couple years back I installed a 1hd-t into a sixty with five speed, :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:, left a big smile on my face.

Thinkin Rick did it long before I did, good first hand advice.

I have always wanted to install the 1hd-t with speed into a FJ55, never had the funds...

Personally this might be my more favourite conversion, although it has been done, to do it with either a 1hz or 1hd-t would be fun, good work dude..

Rob

what, the 13BT? Hey, I gave it a "4.5". That's a passing grade.... and, I grade on the curve.

OK, the teacher in me must say that 4.5 is never a passing grade in my classes. You gotta get at least 6/10 to pass with me, even with today's grade inflation!

good job.
I think my dad would prefer his hzj73 to be LHD mainly for the little bit extra room but he would never go through the trouble of converting it.
I don't even know if I would bother converting mine down the road but it would be cool of if I had to.

I am among the people who would consider the 13B-T a superior motor to the 1HZ-T. Mine is port matched and polished, open pipes, and running 20lbs of boost, with NO problem pushing 40" tires down the freeway, and keeping it's cool all the while. And that's with factory turbo and no fuel modifications. I have a Gbentik turbo on the shelf waiting to take this thing to another level.

But, we all have our own opinions.

IMOP the hole difference and benefit it's IDI vs DI .. while IDI have some " issues " managing temp .. DI have 0 " issues " with that .. and that's to me make the hole history ..

And when I said to me .. it's coz I don't let the engines run stock fuel setting .. I always try to push 'em more ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom