BJ42 Transmission/Transfer Case only weakly engaging. Help! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OIO

Threads
Just bought my first 40 series. Canadian diesel BJ42 1980 3b diesel with 4 spd.
The shippers were able to drive it on the truck well enough but when it arrived 3 days later, it can hardly pull itself.
Symptoms.
Transfer lever makes no difference regardless of position (previous owner said that he'd damaged Low range and it only ran in 2-4Hi).
Only at low RPM and on a down grade or flat it will barely pull itself forward (in 1st) or reverse.
No Burning clutch smell. No problem shifting into gears but it is like it is only very partially engaged and no power getting to wheels.

Any clues as to what this problem would be? Im hoping not to have to replace transfer case, this early in.

Cheers,

Allan

Allan,

Check the transfer case lever that engages low and high. If the pinch bolt is loose and the shaft drops down into the case( only an 1/8 inch) you will have no drive. There should be a washer below the lever.

Brian

Something is wrong in the cluch. How it feels? Maybe the hours are full now, no disc left.

I agree with @Matti that it is a clutch issue. If it barely pulls, either the hydraulics are not fully releasing the mechanicals, or the mechanicals themselves are not working properly. If the front bearing retainer of the trans is gouged, the throw out bearing will not slide far enough back to let the pressure plate fully engage the disc.

I did a clutch job for a customer last year that had this exact problem.

Thanks All, I guess I need to get in there and pull the thing apart and see what I can find. Yet another fun project before I even get started on the body..... Funny how they always look and sound better in the online ad than what shows up off the trailer. "Excellent mechanical with a bit of rust" must have gotten very, very lost in translation on this one. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom