Builds BJ42 Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nicely done. Very sharp. When you fit your hard top sides I would suggest loosely fitting your roof cap so that everything lines up. I learned the hard way šŸ˜’
There seems to be the roof rail fitted without the fiberglass roof itself.

''stainless riv nuts'' awesome and no welding ! Did they deliver it with self etching primer on it ? I was told you need to do this to stainless to make the paint stick ! I was going to go down that road myself but thought I'll try some rattle can since its been a dd and wheeling rig. It stays on nice but imagine with self etching primer you'd get a proper finish ! You may see my friends in Nanoose Bay in their beige 42, they have it close to being ready.

Nicely done. Very sharp. When you fit your hard top sides I would suggest loosely fitting your roof cap so that everything lines up. I learned the hard way šŸ˜’
Bcsteel, hi , yes the roof rail is separated from the hard shell right now because Iā€™m waiting to get it painted. There is a marine paint called Interlux that a friend has successfully used on his hardtop so I might paint it myself as soon as the weather warms up a bit. I will pop rivet the roof in a couple of places and then mount it as an assembly to make sure it all fits. Itā€™s much easier to make corrections before itā€™s painted.
I have 7 or 8 items left to pick off and Iā€™ll be shopping for a Painter. Biggest job left
Is to mount the heater and drill out the fire wall for the coolant lines.

White Stripe, no it doesnā€™t. Teseven is making their latest tubs with this groove but the earlier tubs like mine donā€™t have it. Fabien sent me a raft of pictures on how this will work and the long and short of it is that the door seals are big enough to press up flat against the tub while still maintaining a weather seal on the grooves for the HT sides. I could cut the sheet metal and weld in the seal groove but Iā€™m not sure it needs it.

On another note I ordered an ashtray for the center console today. $60.00 off of Etsy. Has good reviews. Iā€™ll get my console repainted and Iā€™m good to go.

4DDDA844-A069-4DFB-81B3-29A763618C20.png

Todayā€™s project was a bit of a step backwards to correct something that was bugging me. I had to fabricate seat rail mounts and I built them out of rectangular tubing. Problem is that they need to be angled so that the seat rails sit flush on the mounts. I zip cut a wedge out of the mounts and re-welded them, then used a blending disc to make them smooth again.

ABE660AB-7B68-4083-BB91-9BD4D17E9CB8.jpeg

DDFF0295-97A6-4EA9-9B48-A517D84C6E38.jpeg

''stainless riv nuts'' awesome and no welding ! Did they deliver it with self etching primer on it ? I was told you need to do this to stainless to make the paint stick ! I was going to go down that road myself but thought I'll try some rattle can since its been a dd and wheeling rig. It stays on nice but imagine with self etching primer you'd get a proper finish ! You may see my friends in Nanoose Bay in their beige 42, they have it close to being ready.

Hi Mac, no they came without the primer. Iā€™m not too concerned because they will usually be concealed by whatever they are holding in place, but I will mention it to the painter. I need to get Paul from Oceanside Kustoms to come by and have a look once Iā€™m done my list to give me a price, Diesel Cruiserman also has a painter that heā€™s recommending. Iā€™m hoping (praying) for 4-5G painted and hopefully assembled.

Iā€™ve got 5 days off and will be tackling the heater system which needs to be mounted, and the fire wall drilled out for the heater lines. Then finish the exhaust pipe, mount the spare tire carrier and finish lining up the ambulance doors. I also need to fix how the ashtray fits in the dash and then Iā€™ll be looking for a painter.

Heater is drilled and fitted. Fire wall access cut out as well. Stainless is hard on my drill bits and hole saws thatā€™s for sure.

A0FCE2F2-F88C-43A2-B6F1-CC11CE95C10C.jpeg

6910F58F-A62C-4DF2-A271-6B1003EF4922.jpeg

190278DC-7966-495E-A4EA-53334A21EB04.jpeg

61D4D2BC-C02B-41AD-B47A-0F2B93F7D2B5.jpeg

Todayā€™s project was a bit of a step backwards to correct something that was bugging me. I had to fabricate seat rail mounts and I built them out of rectangular tubing. Problem is that they need to be angled so that the seat rails sit flush on the mounts. I zip cut a wedge out of the mounts and re-welded them, then used a blending disc to make them smooth again.

View attachment 2187184

View attachment 2187185
I had added Supra seats in my 42, Had some sq tube and welded a nut inside the tube for the seat to bolt to. If you haven't done that then you could weld a 1/4 plate and drill and tap it.

I had added Supra seats in my 42, Had some sq tube and welded a nut inside the tube for the seat to bolt to. If you haven't done that then you could weld a 1/4 plate and drill and tap it.
Hi Mac, yes I actually used rectangular tubing and welded a nut inside then boxed them in with sheet metal end plates. I angled them to get the proper taper.

What a major pain getting these HT side to line up. I finally got a gap I can live with. Bottom hinge holes donā€™t come pre drilled. I end up using a piece of rectangular channel and C-Clamps to suck the bottom corner in and then drilled the bottom hinge holes. Now onto the Left door and then onto the Tire Carrier

7AF414CA-2394-48F4-8694-EBABEE91F986.jpeg

E0E8788F-B269-4456-A22A-A1E2CE0F46B4.jpeg

85FB3DE1-1CFA-4936-A3FE-23E12FF3EAFC.jpeg

3B13B029-E245-42D4-87A3-E6B6FAEF7F8E.jpeg

Nice job on that. What a major pain in the ass. Youā€™ll be happy with the effort you put in. How do the doors mount on the tub?

I had similar process with Teseven 1/2 tub yesterday. The rear door opening was not straight at all, 10 mm difference from the bottom to the up, within only 365 mm distance.

So, jacking up time.
1581286013813.jpeg

Now it match and doors will close.
1581286076403.jpeg

Nice job on that. What a major pain in the ass. Youā€™ll be happy with the effort you put in. How do the doors mount on the tub?
My left ambulance door needs to be ā€œtweakedā€ slightly so itā€™s sits better. I expected that because I had the bottoms rebuilt. Iā€™m thinking I will let the body shop mess with that. I have a headache from all the thinking I had to do today. My spare tire carrier is giving me grief now.
I want to measure 10x and drill once because I donā€™t feel like welding holes shut on my stainless tub....againšŸ˜¤

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom