BJ40 Engine swap (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Contemplating swapping over my old B engine 4 cyl from a BJ40 and installing a 2H 6 cyl from an HJ47 for a little up-grade in power hopefuly
Wondering if there is anything I should be aware of ie: mounts, clearences and the like.
Any advantages/dis-advantages, have a smallish TD04 Mitsubushi turbo that could be incorporated in the mix somewhere.

Any thoughts guys.

ATB

Nails

Hi All:

It would be much easier for you to swap the existing "B" engine for another, later "B" series engine, like a 3B, 13B-T, etc.

To install a "H" series I-6 will require changing the transmission (different input shaft spline count.)

Good luck!

Alan

Hi All:

It would be much easier for you to swap the existing "B" engine for another, later "B" series engine, like a 3B, 13B-T, etc.

To install a "H" series I-6 will require changing the transmission (different input shaft spline count.)

Good luck!

Alan
Yeah cheers Allen,

My thoughts where to change out the whole lot engine,gear-box and transfer case also in one hit and then modify the drive shafts to suit...... wether that is possible.

Hi All:

Neil, I'd suggest bypassing the 2H for a 1HZ with a H55F five-speed transmission.

IIRC the 1HZ is a good candidate for turbo charging.

Regards,

Alan

Yeah cheers Allen,

My thoughts where to change out the whole lot engine,gear-box and transfer case also in one hit and then modify the drive shafts to suit...... wether that is possible.

Yeah cheers Allen,

The transfer case ends up in the same place, so you could use the same drive shafts between the B drivetrain and the H series drivetrain.

That said, have you driven a turbo'd 3B or 13BT powered truck? I highly doubt that a 2H would be a real improvement. The B series is significantly lighter, so if it were me, I'd find a 3B and put a turbo on it or find a 13BT. It will still be plenty powerful (no racecar, but not exactly a slouch), and you won't have to do all those mods. If you are dead set on swapping in a six cylinder engine, see if you can swing the cash for a 1HZ. (edit--Josie beat me to the 1HZ recommendation)

Dan

Additionally, here in the land of Big Brother, if you swap in a bigger engine like the 2H, you will have to get an engineer's certificate or face getting your rig defected. If you swap in a 13bt, you will still face the legal requirement of an engineer's certificate, but it is far less likely that you will be caught.

However, always remember that in Australia, if you don't do an engineers certificate and you are involved in an accident, you may face an aggrevated charge and/or Allianz may refuse to pay out on your insurance policy.

It will be much easier to get a certificate for a 13bt swap because you will still use the original engine mounts.

Josh

How about a 14bt?

How about a 14bt?

That would be sweet. I'd love to find one too, but I've never even seen one. Did we ever get them in anything down here, or are they only obtainable from the Jap import shops?

Josh

That would be sweet. I'd love to find one too, but I've never even seen one. Did we ever get them in anything down here, or are they only obtainable from the Jap import shops?

Josh

I'm pretty sure we had Dynas with the 14b motor, the same, just no turbo. You'd probably find some of these motors pretty cheap and bung a turbo on them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom