Bizarre Electrical issues w/ LED turn signals (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently took my '99 Land Cruiser to the Toyota Dealership to troubleshoot the following issues:
  • ABS light turning on after driving for a block or so
  • Potential fuel pump replacement as the vehicle would surge momentarily while accelerating on the highway (passing a car or aggressive lane changes)
  • Cruise control would quite when a turn signal was engaged (I knew this was likely tied to my LED turn signals due to other posts)
After some troubleshooting the Toyota tech called me and said all of the above listed problems were likely tied to my LED turn signals. Also, the ABS light threw a code that indicated a stop switch failure (they replaced it but the issue still persisted). At first, I thought the tech was just naive and was blaming the problems on these minor non-factory mods but after I picked up the vehicle I also noticed that the ABS light would only come on after I used my turn signal and the engine surging only happened when I activated the turn signals.

I am curious, has anyone else experienced these problems? I have read a lot about the Cruise control problems but haven't found anyone with the ABS light/Engine surging problem. My next step is to either pull the LED lights out or install an inline resistor.

One last note, the ABS light only started happening after I completed the master cylinder rebuild. But despite activating the ABS system a few times and bleeding the system multiple times I was unable to get the ABS light to quite activating. Now, as long as I don't use my turn signal, it will stay off.

Thanks.

Nate

Did you replace the flasher unit? Or do you have rapid signal flashing with the LED's? You're better off replacing the flasher than installing load resistors.

Sounds like EMI to me, you can try a ferrite choke on the wires to the bulb (remove some from old USB cables or they're less than $2 online). EMI can cause havoc on the ECU communications throughout the car.

I have replaced the flasher unit and I do not have the rapid flash w/ the LEDs. Agreed @bamabrock, I will replace the LEDs and the flasher and see what the result is.

Update: I replaced the LED flasher relay with the factory relay and also replaced my LED turn signals with the factory bulbs. Since the replacement, I no longer have issues w/ my ABS light nor the engine surging. I have not yet tried the cruise control but assume it will work as well.

As much as I hated pulling my LED lights out, it is nice to having these little electrical issues popping up.

I have posted a picture of my LED flasher relay in case it provides a clue for someone else on a similar issue.

View attachment 1300131

Flasher.jpg

I'm having the same issue with the ABS light coming on sporadically and when the ABS light is on I have the surging and using the blinker disconnects the cruise control.

Is there any other alternative to keep the LED flasher and bulbs?

I replaced the rear LED bulbs shortly after I bought my truck, and all of those ills (cruise control and surging in my case) went away. I still have the fronts as LEDs. I honestly don't see the advantage to the LED bulbs in that application, but if there is one it surely wasn't worth the headache.

Yea I may go back to the regular bulbs. I was worried I had a transmission issue or something worse!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom