Birf loose!!! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Before getting the dust cover off I can wiggle the birf in and out about half inch!!!!

image.jpg

Just took the 80 to my buddy's lift and we don't have parts. Does anyone know if its probably a bearing or what it might be before we go any further?

Thanks in advance

Is it because we removed the nuts already or it just always has that much play??

They just have that much play. The threaded hole on the end of the axle is there so you thread a bolt in there and pull the axle back out to install the circular clip when you are finished reinstalling the drive flange.

Last edited:
^^what he said....

I freaked out the first time I dismantled mine as well.

It is normal. Don't freak out.

You realize you are telling a Land Cruiser owner not to freak out, right?!?! Freaking out about things is what we do!

Especially someone with a very bumpy birf and no birf experience!!!! No actually your advice was greatly appreciated!!! Still have no idea what to fix. Didnt want to go past that point and realize I need a new one without having one.

Especially someone with a very bumpy birf and no birf experience!!!! No actually your advice was greatly appreciated!!! Still have no idea what to fix. Didnt want to go past that point and realize I need a new one without having one.

So whats the problem your trying to fix?

I have a passenger side birf that has a good knock... knock... knock. Happens when turning either direction more than 1/4 wheel turn more or less. Was hoping to diagnose without removing the birf joint since it's my DD. Got to spindle without taking it off and everything removed to it was fine. Was thinking of getting inner wheel and trunion and all seals and gaskets. Is it possible my joint is fine?

On a positive note did oil/filter and power steering fluid today woohoo!!!!

Last edited:
If it is only a knock when fully turned than will it most likely just require a rebuild(trunion bearings, wheel bearings and seals, gasket etc) that will stop the knocking. Will I 100% not know until I open it up?

Thanks again everyone!!!
Also, any pics of worn or busted birds?
I would imagine if a ball bearing was compromised or the shaft sheared or the cup was completely worn out it would be a lot worse correct???

Sorry, yes reverse click, :bang: dont worry to much I have driven a few years with clicking 4x4 left/right turns.

If swapping right to left side you have to separate the birf from the axle (because long and short side axle) and snap (break) the snap ring, that is another video.
So if you are low on money and enjoy a bit of fiddling the swap from left to right is worth it, but as you can/must also use reverse in 4x4 it is a bit stupid.
One time my brother was driving in remote area and took a fast 4x4 low complete left turn and I was sure at that moment the birf would explode, but no problem.

The snapring mounted, ready to install in new birf:

file.php

other side shows snapring better:

file.php

separating birf (breaking snapring), long one is heavier and breaks far easier than short axle, busted a few tiles :hmm:
file.php

cool video:

snapring breaking:

Added a picture I made to find out what gaskets are needed
Thats why I prefer linking to original site, I keep copy pasting stuff :repost:

file.php

Last edited:
if youre going to take it apart and you already have the knocking in the birf I would just replace it instead of swapping sides. Otherwise youre wasting money on seals and grease..and depending on what grease you go with, it could be quite pricey to do it twice.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom