Bike Rack for the Overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

You need to go no further than Luke at 4x4 labs. I have a friend that lives out of his 80 series and carries two bike on a carrier built by Luke. Off road test for the last several years without issue.

So if you go something rigid like that, and sit it down on the rear bumper, you risk beating up your bike wheel, right?

Where's the "shock absorber" to help prevent bike damage?

Also, I realize were talking some pretty unique situations and it's that 1% chance something like this were to happen. Plus it's not like I can't just remove the bike and clear the obstacle haha

I have wheeled what many would consider tough CO. trails with my friend using this setup again without issue.:meh: He takes his MT biking seriously as in one of the bikes he carries is worth more than his LC. :eek: IIRC if was one of Luke first carrier to meet the requirements. But as we all know everything has a limit.

What about using this area, highlighted below, to bolt on a mount, much like the same way the Jerry can basket is bolted on, for a tray rack? That is where I would want it. You wouldn't have to compromise on removing stuff, departure would be pretty good depending on how high you go. Then it just has to prodtrude enough to get the bikes past the rear tire/cans. View attachment 1575224

Just remembered that there is a guy with a 62 that has a set up like I am describing. I am pretty sure his rack is mounted to the swing out as well

View attachment 1575225
View attachment 1575226

Given the 60 setup above looks like a respectable departure angle.:clap:

I have wheeled what many would consider tough CO. trails with my friend using this setup again without issue.:meh: He takes his MT biking seriously as in one of the bikes he carries is worth more than his LC. :eek: IIRC if was one of Luke first carrier to meet the requirements. But as we all know everything has a limit.

That's good enough for me!

I've got a call to Luke for more information (and timing) and will update back.

May check around locally with one of the guys in the club. His fabricating skills are among the best and I have no doubt something custom could be done to exact requirements. - hence reaching out to the forum for input

Also I would need the trays - meaning leaving the wheels on. Interesting to see dimensions and how high it'd be above the roof.

Also I would need the trays - meaning leaving the wheels on. Interesting to see dimensions and how high it'd be above the roof.

To provide the needed clearance for offroad it does not use trays and IIRC does not exceed roof height. I do know a 29'r will fit in one of our Gullwing Flip up windows so there is no need to open the swing outs to ride.;) Something no other Gullwinged window ever made can claim. :D

To provide the needed clearance for offroad it does not use trays and IIRC does not exceed roof height. I do know a 29'r will fit in one of our Gullwing Flip up windows so there is no need to open the swing outs to ride.;) Something no other Gullwinged window ever made can claim. :D
Haha I actually thought about your windows this morning as a solution. Then I realized I realized I was tapped out after buying a bike and even more so after getting a rack for it. I haven't eaten Ramen since college, but it's on my grocery list this week :grinpimp:

If you need a product tester, I'm your man!

I'm absolutely all for supporting mud vendors (@LandCruiserPhil gullwings are on my Xmas list) and I personally own Luke's dual swingout with 3 attachment... But I'm also a huge fan of unique needs being met by local welders and cool custom accessories!!!! There's nothing funner than picking up a completely custom mod that you designed and had made up for your specific need. You won't regret getting exactly what meets your needs. With that said, most mud vendors meet needs I didn't know I had

Haha I actually thought about your windows this morning as a solution. Then I realized I realized I was tapped out after buying a bike and even more so after getting a rack for it. I haven't eaten Ramen since college, but it's on my grocery list this week :grinpimp:

If you need a product tester, I'm your man!

Sorry Im the product tester.;)
We find the demographics of our window purchasers is the serious adventure traveler and committed outdoor enthusiast having them seen from Canada to the tip of South America. We recently sent a set to Japan.:D If you fit the profile you will wonder how you have done without them so long. You will also find Lukes bike carrier will also fit the same type of owners.

I'm absolutely all for supporting mud vendors (@LandCruiserPhil gullwings are on my Xmas list) and I personally own Luke's dual swingout with 3 attachment... But I'm also a huge fan of unique needs being met by local welders and cool custom accessories!!!! There's nothing funner than picking up a completely custom mod that you designed and had made up for your specific need. You won't regret getting exactly what meets your needs. With that said, most mud vendors meet needs I didn't know I had

:santa:

Sorry Im the product tester.;)
We find the demographics of our window purchasers is the serious adventure traveler and committed outdoor enthusiast having them seen from Canada to the tip of South America. We recently sent a set to Japan.:D If you fit the profile you will wonder how you have done without them so long. You will also find Lukes bike carrier will also fit the same type of owners.

I'd like love to have at least the DS done but it's on the long wish list for the 80. My t-Rex arms don't help :zilla:. Until then, my dog gets to hang his head out the window :princess:

I'd like love to have at least the DS done but it's on the long wish list for the 80. My t-Rex arms don't help :zilla:. Until then, my dog gets to hang his head out the window :princess:

FWIW - Our windows have been Lab tested :grinpimp: Not recommended at high speeds:eek:

image.jpeg

Yes, exactly this! Putting two new holes in the swingout wouldn't be an issue and it'd allow for exactly what I'd look to do. One thing I haven't interjected into the conversation is the extra weight on the spindle and bumper shell. With 2 gas cans in there, the extra weight deflects the swingout down about an inch at full extension. When I close the swingout, I actually need to lift it just a little bit. Minor details, but something I may need to consider down the road...

So, when it comes to trays, locks, etc., what is everybody using or recommending there?

I didn't think about the single swing out deflecting downwards as I have two swing outs attached in a more robust way than a 4x4 labs. Maybe a 1Up could be modified to work, or just using their trays with a custom mount. Or just have a rod (type crossbar) that comes out from the center of the wheel and one out of the gas can where a tray style rack could be mounted up. Either that or upgrade to a lighter bike!

Guys,

Been a little while since my last update and with a "completed product" I thought it'd be a good time to give one.

As you'll read in this thread, there are a lot of ways you can skin a cat - or in this case, hang a bike off your Cruiser. Regardless of how you elect to do so, if you're a full size male riding a full size bike, you're going to have to make some sort of compromise. The compromise, or really the question, is which way do you want your bike to stick past your cruiser? The multiple choice answer are (A) Up and Down or (B) side to side.

I elected choice B because of clearance. Once you go up and down, your clearance below your bumper is greatly diminished if you come off a ledge, possibly bending a rim or damaging your bike. Yes, it might be avoided if you leave the rear tire "free" to move around, but I didn't want to chance it. Additionally, your front tire is unprotected up top. The advantage? Your handlebars and brake levers are protected.

Choosing option B means my tires are sitting outside the body of the vehicle by some inches - hopefully, I don't find myself in a place where I'm that tight into the woods. What I do gain is clearance - keeping a pretty decent departure angle.

That left me with to determine "how will I accomplish this?"

The choices here included making something completely custom or buying something and modifying it to fit. I like the idea of buying something and making additions to make it fit. This allows for resale value when I hang up my hat and a potential for a very secure platform. Because I have a single swingout, that meant attaching it to the swingout itself and coming up with something custom.

I found a Thule XT Pro rack on Facebook marketplace that was the ticket. He barely used it and it was a year old - sold.

Contacting a buddy of mine (@kc_chevota), we put a plan into action. Very happy with the final product because it accomplishes what I had in mind and he was able to hot glue all the pieces together for me. Main downside is that I now need to watch out for low lying bridges and power lines - thinking some sort of canvas bag should protect the handlebars and brakes. In the next post will be some pictures of the final product with the bike on the back.

Testing will ensue and I'll report back as I have successes and failures.

Curious what your thoughts are as you read this - so let me know if you think this will work - not work - etc.

Jack

Last edited:
Is the last post what you decided to do?
What is that cylinder/transitional thing?

For another thread that has many pics/examples try here:

Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around!

FWIW, I'm building my own based on the North Shore rack design (theirs are tough).

Is the last post what you decided to do?
What is that cylinder/transitional thing?

For another thread that has many pics/examples try here:

Mountain Bikes - show/tell me how you lug yours around!

FWIW, I'm building my own based on the North Shore rack design (theirs are tough).

If what I'm thinking you're referring to as being the cylinder/transition thing is correct, it is part of the Thule rack itself. The rack can fold up toward the body of the vehicle. I'm assuming what you're referring to is the mechanism that allows it to fold up. Since it's built for low passenger vehicles, that "step up" is kind of nice because it gives extra clearance when paired with the swing out.

I may eat all the words in the last few posts as I drive around and take it on trails but for now - it should work!

Great link you posted. Looks like you got a lot of good responses, including @MECA58 who did something very very similar to what we did to mine. Good reassurance I'm not completely off my rocker!

Jack

Yours looks great for a receiver mounted one. I went a different route as my Northshore would have been way to high to mount into a receiver hitch on one of my swing outs. I just built a new one to haul a couple bikes on my swing out within the past several days.

This that bolts into the base of my cooler basket and then holds two Yakima highrollers.

From the ground to the bottom I have 40" of clearance.
IMG_2291.jpg

I also trimmed down the long edges and plan to add a trailer light set up for it as it sticks out ~40" from my taillight at its furthest point.

IMG_2290.jpg

My only worry is the strength of the highrollers holding the bikes. I've heard from some people that they have held bikes using highrollers in the same manner, but even my Northshore has developed a good amount of play around the pins.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom