Bike Rack for the Overlander (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey everyone, the last couple years have been great to get to know the Cruiser and do some great trips in. I've decided I want to add another element to overlanding trips by bringing a mountain bike with me.

I've done some searching on Google and here and came up with a few ideas but want to hear yours and see your pics.

For the record, I've got a Labs rear bumper. It's a single, full length swingout with a 35" spare on the DS and a hi-lift behind it. Passenger side of the spindle will get 10 gallons of fuel on custom carrier.

Options include doing something hitch mounted (and beefy), something using the center of the tire carrier, or even the fuel carrier.

So, what are you guys doing to keep your bike up off the ground and retain decent departure angles (or at least protect the bike)?

The rack itself is top notch. There are probably better options if you’re looking for the best departure angle, but you’d be hard pressed to find a better rack in general than the 1up.

My buddy has a Kuat and we used it this last weekend. Super secure, great materials, but it lacks in the departure angle. It's also a little more expensive than the 1Up it would appear.

Any thoughts on a "build it yourself" type rack?

More than one bike? If not I think Bumpitoffroad.com under 80 series and rear bumper options has a rack that might interesting to you.

I used a Sportworks hitch-mounted bike rack for about a decade. They're the brand usually found on buses. They're a great system, fast and easy to use, and the only thing that broke was the nylon ring that ratchets around to hold the rear tire. And that was after years of being mounted to my vehicle in Arizona and California sun.

I don't know if they still make the consumer version, but I plan to build a similar system when I make my bumper. The hitch mount ruins departure angle, of course, but the rack I had was steel and could have easily been cut and welded to mount to, for example, a spindle arm.

Transit Bike Racks | Sportworks

How many bikes do you plan to haul?

The single swing out arm makes it difficult to use a big hitch mounted rack like a Northshore or Recon Rack. I'm not even sure if a tray rack in a hitch on a 4x4 labs would be low enough to clear an opening swing out arm. Despite not clearing a single swing out arm, the way the Northshore and Recon position the bikes vertically uses space well and barely sacrifices departure compared to other racks for the number of bikes they can hold.

IMG_5735.JPG

IMG_7143.jpg

If it's just one bike, I would mount a tray, even a roof mount style Yakima Highroller or similar, on to the swing out. That will eliminate bikes not fitting as they hold all different wheel sizes except maybe plus and fat bike tires while not being focused on front axle sizes like a fork mounted rack.

I plan to do that for when I just haul my own bike around so I can get a much better departure angle. That way I also don't have to lower my rack every time I need to get into the vehicle.

Raxter rack. It is cheap and has four attachment points to the bike. I built a custom hitch extension to clear the swingouts on the 4x4 Labs bumper.
21373804_282617408888060_2683493504956497920_n.jpg

Bump it offroad makes a second swing arm option that mounts one or two Yakima/Thule roof trays vertically behind the truck. Because it bolts to the second swing arm you may be able to work it into your bumper. Follow this link, half way down the page: Rear Bumper Options for 80 and 100 Series Bumpers

IMG_0817.JPG

Back end shot fully loaded (sans cans)

Guys, all great ideas and I keep going back and forth on vertical vs horizontal on the back.

Vertical:
+1 or 4 bikes, departure angle is the same
+departure angle seems to be better than on a horizontal
-may need to remove front tire to get good clearance.
-no RTT or roof rack means it's at the mercy of branches.

Horizontal:
+may be easier to work with
+front tire stays on
+can POSSIBLY get better departure angle, even with hitch
-longer bike means tires are getting caught by branches
-departure angle could also be worse since the bike stays further from the back

Anybody else have pros and cons to either?

Eventually my bumper will drag and prefer it doesn't take my bike with it. Another thing for consideration is holding fuel on the back... that may mean a vertical bike rack is out - either that or I have to weigh which is more preferable, bike or fuel. It almost shoehorns me into a hitch mounted rack OR a receiver through my spare tire.

For the record, the bike is a hard tail 29er plus. It's a sizable bike

Last edited:
Have you considered the 4x4labs bike rack that holds 2 bikes verticle? I just interchange between my bike rack and jerry can holder.

Have you considered the 4x4labs bike rack that holds 2 bikes verticle? I just interchange between my bike rack and jerry can holder.

That was the initial thought was the Labs rack - price is nominally different than the other racks, BIOR and the hitch mounted racks.

At this point, I guess I need to think if fuel is of the utmost importance if I have the bike on back. In all honesty, I can probably get away without having extra fuel. If I'm doing a full on overlanding trip with the local club, then I won't be doing any bike riding. If I'm doing these trips with friends that aren't in the club, I likely won't be THAT far from fuel.

As to the question of 1 vs 2 bikes, I'd probably go with 2 bikes assuming it's not any more work.

Jack

Last edited:
What about using this area, highlighted below, to bolt on a mount, much like the same way the Jerry can basket is bolted on, for a tray rack? That is where I would want it. You wouldn't have to compromise on removing stuff, departure would be pretty good depending on how high you go. Then it just has to prodtrude enough to get the bikes past the rear tire/cans.
IMG_7147.jpg

Just remembered that there is a guy with a 62 that has a set up like I am describing. I am pretty sure his rack is mounted to the swing out as well

IMG_7148.PNG

IMG_7150.PNG

What about using this area, highlighted below, to bolt on a mount, much like the same way the Jerry can basket is bolted on, for a tray rack? That is where I would want it. You wouldn't have to compromise on removing stuff, departure would be pretty good depending on how high you go. Then it just has to prodtrude enough to get the bikes past the rear tire/cans. View attachment 1575224

Just remembered that there is a guy with a 62 that has a set up like I am describing. I am pretty sure his rack is mounted to the swing out as well

View attachment 1575225
View attachment 1575226
Yes, exactly this! Putting two new holes in the swingout wouldn't be an issue and it'd allow for exactly what I'd look to do. One thing I haven't interjected into the conversation is the extra weight on the spindle and bumper shell. With 2 gas cans in there, the extra weight deflects the swingout down about an inch at full extension. When I close the swingout, I actually need to lift it just a little bit. Minor details, but something I may need to consider down the road...

So, when it comes to trays, locks, etc., what is everybody using or recommending there?

Hey everyone, the last couple years have been great to get to know the Cruiser and do some great trips in. I've decided I want to add another element to overlanding trips by bringing a mountain bike with me.

I've done some searching on Google and here and came up with a few ideas but want to hear yours and see your pics.

For the record, I've got a Labs rear bumper. It's a single, full length swingout with a 35" spare on the DS and a hi-lift behind it. Passenger side of the spindle will get 10 gallons of fuel on custom carrier.

Options include doing something hitch mounted (and beefy), something using the center of the tire carrier, or even the fuel carrier.

So, what are you guys doing to keep your bike up off the ground and retain decent departure angles (or at least protect the bike)?

You need to go no further than Luke at 4x4 labs. I have a friend that lives out of his 80 series and carries two bike on a carrier built by Luke. Off road test for the last several years without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom