big tires (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

this question have a important total Cruiser weight component 80 axles in a rock buggy are not the same as 80 axes under a full loaded 80 ..

I never did get a chance to see your rig. That's quite a beast, Al. Even as tall as you are, I bet you stand up to do oil changes.

Not quite ;)

44" is common here in Iceland. Running the stock FF rear axles. Some of them are still using the stock front diff as well. Bust most of them have upgraded the front diff to a 80 or 60 rear diff but are using the birfs and the knuckles.

C684P0_3f155d1dd83eb.JPG

Some guys are also running 46" or 47" tires.

None of these trucks are made for rock climbing, just for snow driving.

Is running the rear 80 diff in the front really that much stronger???

Does it actually fit correctly?

Tree, I think you just wanted to see pics of rigs with big tires, lol. Here 40" Nitto's
IMG_0935edit.jpg
IMG_0891.jpg
IMG_0890.jpg

Yes it is bigger and stronger, No it does not fit. The center of the axle housing has to be replaced. Some kinds of american diffs have been used too.

hmmm I would have thought with the front being High pinion it wouldn't have mattered that much v.s. a low pinion rear.

anyway here is the old set up when my 36's were going bald on the last OBX trip

4416_83315197874_550862874_1935704_4609195_n.jpg

I think Dusty might have the biggest on an 80 but the axles aren't stock.

Front differential and stock rear locker are the weak points. 37's are a safe tire size if you wheel with sense but can still snap axles/diffs if you use that skinny pedal too much.

PKP80,

Not to thread jack, but it looks like you cut the inner fender completely out...Am I right? If so what exactly did you do and did you just leave the outer fender edge straight or roll it? Very curious...

PKP80,

Not to thread jack, but it looks like you cut the inner fender completely out...Am I right? If so what exactly did you do and did you just leave the outer fender edge straight or roll it? Very curious...

I completely removed the inner fender lining and cut off new fender lines using the tops of the fender flare mount holes as my round off guides. You don't need to roll in the front fender. Removal of all that inner fender has helped with my engine cooling and quite obviously up travel (I currently have room for approx. 9" of tuck in the front at my current ride height. I intend on lowering the truck 2-3" an running about 7" up and 9" droop in the front.

The back fender is a different story and I just want to cut out the rear wheel wells entirely, but I am having rubbing issues on my frame and need to space out my tires a little more.:beer:

Correct sir, slee 6".

So did you relocate all the stuff that is mounted to the engine side of the inner fender because there is a lot of stuff mounted there? I could see just losing the outer half of the inner fender, but taking it all would mean relocating some things...and I'm sure you've reageared with 40's? Incredible build though man! Thanks for responding to my questions :cheers:

So did you relocate all the stuff that is mounted to the engine side of the inner fender because there is a lot of stuff mounted there? I could see just losing the outer half of the inner fender, but taking it all would mean relocating some things...and I'm sure you've reageared with 40's? Incredible build though man! Thanks for responding to my questions :cheers:

Thanks for the kind words. Let me clarify my answer by saying that I didn't touch the engine side of the inner fender where all the components are mounted. I cut out what would be the outer later of the inner fender (if that makes sense). There is a large space between the two. I didn't take note of where you are from, but if ever in the So Cal area don't hesitate to stop by and maybe do a little wheeling.
:beer:

Is it possible to fit 37's with no lift? I have a set of 37x12.50R16.5 military retreads that I am sticking on my landcruiser, they are mounted on 16.5x9.75 8lug rockcrawlers with 4.5bs that are going to be attached to the cruiser axles with 2" 6 to 8 lug adapters so the rims will effectively have 2.5" backspaceing. I am planning on cutting the fenders, I know the front will fit since there is ample fender to cut out, but there isn't much in the rear before you get into the door? I want to keep it real low to the ground and spend as little as possible. I know it will have very little uptravel, but I am not going to drive it fast so it doesnt matter. I am going to try it when I get home from work and if it doesn't work I will probally order a 2.5" Heavy or J front heavy rear. Plan on welding the diffs up and setting up a cheap surplus center ram for assist, already have lockout hubs on the front. Got a bunch of 1 3/4 sch 80 pipe for bumbers, sliders and quarter protection.

I'm running 37x14.5 Irok's and have broken one birfield.
trail.jpg

No, I don't think you are going to get 37's on with no lift. I had 315's on mine with no lift and they rubbed when turning and on bumps. I don't think you can cut enough out of the front of there rear opening due to the door. I went cheap and put on J springs and a body lift to clear the 37's.

Last edited:
Is it possible to fit 37's with no lift? I have a set of 37x12.50R16.5 military retreads that I am sticking on my landcruiser, they are mounted on 16.5x9.75 8lug rockcrawlers with 4.5bs that are going to be attached to the cruiser axles with 2" 6 to 8 lug adapters so the rims will effectively have 2.5" backspaceing. I am planning on cutting the fenders, I know the front will fit since there is ample fender to cut out, but there isn't much in the rear before you get into the door? I want to keep it real low to the ground and spend as little as possible. I know it will have very little uptravel, but I am not going to drive it fast so it doesnt matter. I am going to try it when I get home from work and if it doesn't work I will probally order a 2.5" Heavy or J front heavy rear. Plan on welding the diffs up and setting up a cheap surplus center ram for assist, already have lockout hubs on the front. Got a bunch of 1 3/4 sch 80 pipe for bumbers, sliders and quarter protection.

You CAN run 37's stock, BUT. you had better be ready to do a good amount of trimming and your up travel will be no more than 2-3" if that. You have to re-gear with 37's and you probably want to upgrade your birfs if you are doing any type of wheeling beyond a novice level. Biggest tires possible and as low as possible, that's the equation for success IMHO. I was sitting at about 10" of lift at one point and I'm trying to get it down to 6"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom