Big Synthetic or Down Sleeping Bag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Someone else mentioned it before, but I have a down blanket that I love. Light weight, warm, compresses down very small. Pair it with a pad with a high R-value and you can handle most settings. After a lot of research, I went with Rumpl Down Puffy Blanket. Like others said, not the cheapest, but it's quality

I’d vote for down unless you live in an area with high humidity.

Even though for car camping the weight isn’t much of a factor, the packed size of a down bag is significantly smaller than an equivalent synthetic. And even with a large SUV, with a family of 4 space always seem to be at a minimum. The other advantage of down is it seems to be much more breathable, which translates into a wider comfort range. I use the same down bag from 20-50 degrees with no problem, but with synthetics it always seems like you’re either too cold or sweating.

Exped also makes a duo Megamat 77.6 x 52 - EXPED best money ever spent for camping and Im super cheap.
No sleeping bag for me normal bedding and a heated blanky. 158° blanky is a game changer.

View attachment 1929604
Hey Phil,
Do you have a link to your electrified blanket? Thanks!

For car camping, I like these...they are the size of a twin bed and ten lbs of loft.. You almost don't need a pad.
The two are virtually the same, the first being longer, 92 vs 90 inches. 20 lbs and 17.5 lbs of bag with a soft flannel liner.

Amazon product ASIN B00DDP3BA0
Amazon product ASIN B00A4VLHSE

Got an Exped Megamat 10 at the REI sale. Also saw Exped has some rectangular bags single or duo.

Matt,

For Colorado I’d go down. We are generally camping in dryer weather. I plan to buy a Western Mountaineering bag this summer to replace a 26 year old down Moonstone bag. I’m also a big fan of the Gore Windstopper shell material if you plan to camp in winter temps. In all honesty my Moonstone is still in great shape. I’m just 40lbs heavier than when I bought it. So I too want something with more room. I’ll give my old bag to my boy when he gets taller.

There are other semi rectangular bag options with lesser temp ratings. That is just what I want personally. A lesser temp option in semi rectangular.

I would opt for something that still has a hood if you get caught out in cold weather. These are definitely premium options and come with the price to match. Other great options are out there. I’ve just chosen a buy once cry once attitude. Generally over time it’s paid off for me. That Moonstone probably has 500 nights in it.

I also am a big fan of down comforters. We have a highly packable one from Big Agnes we use in the RTT. It’s awesome in addition to a sleeping bag. Makes regulating tempatures really easy. For summer use I take a super light bag and use the comforter for warmth if I need it. Sept-May I use my Moonstone bag normally unzipped and the comforter. This is all RTT or the camper. It’s rare that I sleep on the ground anymore.

For the kids check out the Mountain Hardware little mummy bags. Synthetic makes more sense for them for ease of washing. They pack up tiny. Bridger loves his.

C

Last edited:
I suggest you check out Wiggys.

I don't think you can go wrong with their oversize bags.

Take a look.
I second this. Wiggys makes a nice quality, simple and durable bag, I think it's a great value. They are not cheap but they will last.

I'll 3rd the suggestion for the North Face Dolomite. We ended up getting 2 youth and 2 adult of them at the beginning of last season. 12 nights spent in them so far, no complaints.

Im a big dude and I have been using a Big Agnes Whiskey Park bag for years. It requires an insulated sleeping pad to complete the "system" but its the roomiest and most comfortable sleeping bag I have ever owned. I have the OG version, here is the most current offering:

How big are you and how much room do you need? I might have a great bag for you that i need to sell. It is a Mountain Hardwear 20 degree down bag. It has a feature where a full leanght ripper unzips and makes the bag about 4" bigger in circumference for warmer weather. It is a mummy but a "more roomy mummy".

Check out reviews at outdoorgearlab.com

I stopped trusting their reviews after I bought three of the different camping chairs they recommended and killed them all within a month of purchase.

They take them out and test them once or twice; my chair gets pulled out and used absolutely about once a week.

I’ve also learned it’s incredibly difficult to find a nice fold up chair with double shear joints. This would solve a lot of issues.

But it is good for finding ideas, so there’s that.

I stopped trusting their reviews after I bought three of the different camping chairs they recommended and killed them all within a month of purchase.

They take them out and test them once or twice; my chair gets pulled out and used absolutely about once a week.

I’ve also learned it’s incredibly difficult to find a nice fold up chair with double shear joints. This would solve a lot of issues.

But it is good for finding ideas, so there’s that.

That's unfortunate. I've bought several pieces of gear like sleeping bags, packs, hiking boots, trekking poles, camp tables, and multiple clothing items all based solely on their reviews and I've been 100% satisfied.

That's unfortunate. I've bought several pieces of gear like sleeping bags, packs, hiking boots, trekking poles, camp tables, and multiple clothing items all based solely on their reviews and I've been 100% satisfied.

Yeah, I was kind of disappointed, to be honest. The chairs weren’t going through anything extreme, just repeated often use. I guess it makes sense when I think about it; camping chairs are designed with the idea of being used a few times a year. I was using them several times a month, so it’s not totally surprising, really.

The nice thing about having places like REI, Cabela’s, Bass Pro, etc. is, despite going in there and spending huge amounts of time (buying camping gear for me is an event, I tend to spend a few hours trying things, setup/tear down, testing as much as I can think to), I can typically walk away with something I really like and feel good about.

But I tend to over iterate these things, trying to avoid having an issue when I’m miles away from civilization and don’t have the luxury of just picking up a quick replacement.

My $.02, I spend more time in the alpine than overlanding or car camping but my one trick pony has been an Enlightened Equipment down quilt. 0 degree rating, weighs 23 oz. EE allows you to completely customize which is great when you are looking for a multi-use item. I've used mine for 3 years in all types of situations with easily over 100 nights spent in it. Will never go back to a sleeping bag as I sleep warm and it's not as versatile as a quilt.

Feathered Friends — based in Seattle, they build their bags in the US.

Big Agnes is great. 15 degree down bag with their three season blow up mattress tucked in the bottom pouch. Mattress blown up a little over half way and I’m out like a light. Ultra light backpacking with a ground tent is ok but put that bag in a hammock...like heaven.

I have a Mountain hardware 20 deg 600 fill bag that i like a lot and use for car camping ( because i have other 800 fill for back packing). It has a extra zipper in the baffle area that when unzipped adds about 4" to the girth. Bags in really nice condition, i might be willing to sell t if you want it. PM if you like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom