Big Synthetic or Down Sleeping Bag (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
For car camping, I am looking for a big synthetic or down sleeping bag. Big because I (hypothetically) don't like to feel constricted by a mummy style bag when I'm car camping. Synthetic or down because I don't want the sleeping bag to take up half the volume of the 80 behind the 2nd row seats when it's packed. Have a family of 4 so we have enough bulky stuff as it is.

Something like this but that will pack down small: Amazon product ASIN B001FSJAQG
I know it will take more body heat to keep the bag warm, but that's the case with these big bags too, so...

Am having trouble finding. Should I be considering a different approach? Bag should be good to 20F, down to 0F would be a plus but not necessary.

Looks like my search-fu could use a little work. With the right keywords I found these:
LL Bean 20F bag:

North Face Dolomite 20F bag:

Look at some of the pad bag combos. Big agnus, nemo, thermorest . You have insulation on top and pad on bottom. Down is pretty useless on the bottom compressed to no reason to pay for that area.

I'd choose down only for cold, dry backpacking where weight and packability is important. For overlanding, buy whatever fits you budget. If I didn't already have several down bags, I'd probably just buy a good synthetic quilt. They're way cheaper and easier to care for.

Yea, not paying $500 for a sleeping bag regardless of how much coin i have.

Yea, not paying $500 for a sleeping bag regardless of how much coin i have.
That's why I paid $50 for synthetic. Plus, the fact I can wash at the laundromat.

Never gotten more than 3-years out of any synthetic bag I've bought (new) and in my now 61-years, I've had more than a couple. My Western Mountaineering bags (one for backpacking and one larger for car camping plus down sweater, comforter) have paid me dividends. Sometimes value isn't based upon the price of entry. Think of WM & FeatheredFriends products as...LandCruisers. Something that will stand the test of time yet bring a smile each and every time you use it. For me, that is the definition of value.

Yeah. If you wear your bags out fast then you should buy quality. For me, all my synthetic and down bags have lasted 20
plus years. I have a 30 year old bag that seen a fair bit of use and still going strong. It's a North face.

Even though I don't own a Tepui RTT, (mine is a CVT) I went with a Tepui Autana/Kukeman double bag. It's rated 25*F, but with another body's warmth to help - I'd give it a slightly better rating.;) It's synthetic and I wasn't sure about the canvas outer at 1st, but being as it's inside 99.9% of the time, I like it better than a nylon outer. Down is more efficient on paper, but in the real world above 10*F, the potential to get wet, and therefore useless, IMHO is too great. Above 15k ft and say, below 10*F for the daytime high temp is a different story. Besides, were talking car camping, not packing it on your back.

Last edited:
Here's something different, that has more flexible uses, just as warm, not constrictive at all. Use a high quality mattress like this
Exped Megamat 10 and a Down quilt

The Exped MegaMat 10 is "half" a queen size mattress. It is f-ing comfy (but pricey....every so often REI has a sale)

Here's something different, that has more flexible uses, just as warm, not constrictive at all. Use a high quality mattress like this
Exped Megamat 10 and a Down quilt

Exped also makes a duo Megamat 77.6 x 52 - EXPED best money ever spent for camping and Im super cheap.
No sleeping bag for me normal bedding and a heated blanky. 158° blanky is a game changer.

The Exped MegaMat 10 is "half" a queen size mattress. It is f-ing comfy (but pricey....every so often REI has a sale)

And it's worth every penny. Great piece of gear.

And it's worth every penny. Great piece of gear.
And even though it cost the most at REI, it's worth it to get the 1 year, no questions asked return policy.

Another vote for the megamat. We have a 10 for base camp and four of the 7.5’s that we backpack with.
As for the bag. Looking for true 4 season use? How cold could it get when you would use it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom