Best source for buying pre 2004 HZJ78 or 79 worldwide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So, I'm searching worldwide for the right 1HZ Troopy (or possibly a cab and chassis that I can build a camper for) to import into Canada. It must be 15 years old to import into Canada, so currently that would mean a manufacture date of 01/04. I would prefer it already had a pop-up roof because after the expense of buying one online and having something that size shipped across the world then finding someone in Canada with the experience to properly install it is unlikely I expect.

I'd like to hear from those with similar aspirations and those who have found success and/or dead ends in this search. All tips and suggestions are welcomed to help me find the best Troopy in the best condition at the best price. What sites online to look at? Who to talk to? Etc. Let's hear your experiences.

I started my search on Japan's auction sites because the prices and condition are generally pretty good and the purchase system is simple. Didn't take long to figure out there simply aren't any HZJ78s in Japan.

Next I began looking in Australia. There are a relatively large number of them to choose from there and at relatively reasonable prices. The more affordable ones do tend to have higher mileage than some other countries.

At this point I decided I would rather have a LHD (left hand drive). Driving around town I don't see a big issue, but on the highway I don't like the idea of being behind a truck and having to pull fully out into the oncoming lane to see if it was safe to pass (not that a Troopy would be passing a lot of highway traffic, but in the BC mountains that opportunity does come up fairly often).

So, next I began looking in Europe. This is where I have found the Troopies that are of most interest to me so far. Generally lower Kms than Aus, better condition, but it seems significantly higher prices than similar condition rigs in Aus. Mostly I searched mobile.de and autoscout24.com.

Next I began looking in Africa. Approx. 3/5 of the countries in Africa are LHD. There are some in good shape, but generally the few ads I found through Africargroup.com were as much as two years old. I have received no response from any of the contact attempts I have made.

Most recently I have searched the Middle East. Surprisingly, the various auto sales sites I have looked at have revealed only a couple of Troopies. I would have expected to find much more. They are there, so where are they hiding? Not looking for vehicles with machine guns mounted in the back, I expect those to be very difficult to import.

Looking forward to reading the responses and thank you, Todd.

just some months ago a friend of mine has sold a HZJ 78 , turbo , popup roof , with camper set, webasto, hot water ecc ecc .
km 180K .
42K euro .
are you looking in this price area ?

bye Renago

All tips and suggestions are welcomed

You would be better off buying a cab chassis and fitting your own camper onto it.

$_75.JPG

just some months ago a friend of mine has sold a HZJ 78 , turbo , popup roof , with camper set, webasto, hot water ecc ecc .
km 180K .
42K euro .
are you looking in this price area ?

bye Renago
Sounds right; however, I am at a bit of a disadvantage. Import fees are nearly 20% of the vehicle value plus container shipping costs.
I expect I am looking closer to the low 30Ks euro.
Do you happen to still have a copy of your friend's ad just for reference? I can see ask prices on the ads, but I never get to see what they sell and how fast.

You would be better off buying a cab chassis and fitting your own camper onto it.

$_75.JPG
That has certainly crossed my mind several times. That is why I mention the 79 in my original post, always leaving that option open. I would want something that tucks down near flush with the cab height and has a pop-up roof. I don't like the taller campers that much.
There is a pick up for sale right now with a nice clean empty aluminum box on it that I could fit out and put a pop-up roof onto, but it's a 75. I'm really stuck on a 78 for the coil suspension. I could be swayed off that for the right vehicle at the right price, so that it might be affordable to upgrade the suspension to coil front and extended rear leafs.

That has certainly crossed my mind several times. That is why I mention the 79 in my original post, always leaving that option open. I would want something that tucks down near flush with the cab height and has a pop-up roof. I don't like the taller campers that much.
There is a pick up for sale right now with a nice clean empty aluminum box on it that I could fit out and put a pop-up roof onto, but it's a 75. I'm really stuck on a 78 for the coil suspension. I could be swayed off that for the right vehicle at the right price, so that it might be affordable to upgrade the suspension to coil front and extended rear leafs.

Troopies are taller than cab chassis to start with. So by the time you add a pop top, the height would be similar to the one pictured. But slide on campers are so numerous these days and the types are never ending. Many of them are made to be low, it just depends on what you want.

The leaf springs when loaded are pretty nice to ride in if you have quality suspension. You would probably have to change the factory suspension on a 78 , its rubbish.

This one would be no higher than a troopy with a pop top , plus you get the few inches of width either side

upload_2019-1-14_7-38-29.jpeg

Is that a defensive move or do you have something more convincing to add? Haha
It's that old "bird in the hand" kinda thing. If there's a nice 75 Series in your local area it might be worth considering.
I guess having owned a 75 Series Ute makes me a little biased. :)
At my advanced age if I had something "convincing to add" chances are I would forget was it was 5 minutes from now.

Troopies are taller than cab chassis to start with. So by the time you add a pop top, the height would be similar to the one pictured. But slide on campers are so numerous these days and the types are never ending. Many of them are made to be low, it just depends on what you want.

The leaf springs when loaded are pretty nice to ride in if you have quality suspension. You would probably have to change the factory suspension on a 78 , its rubbish.

This one would be no higher than a troopy with a pop top , plus you get the few inches of width either side

View attachment 1878510
Good points, thanks.
Is this straight up pop top strong enough to put a kayak on top of?

It's that old "bird in the hand" kinda thing. If there's a nice 75 Series in your local area it might be worth considering.
I guess having owned a 75 Series Ute makes me a little biased. :)
At my advanced age if I had something "convincing to add" chances are I would forget was it was 5 minutes from now.
The U.S. is envious of the 40-series stuff we previously sold in Canada, but we have no 70-series stuff. It's all imported after the fact, so 75s and 78s are virtually non-existent. I have not been able to confirm a single example of a Troopy in Canada. So, anything I buy will arrive in a container from somewhere yet to be determined. I am constantly dogged by the idea of a camper that is easily removable and will stand on its own legs while camping, so I can drive off unburdened to crash about with others or fetch supplies without having to lock the camper down for travel. But I digress. I don't want to lose sight of the point of this thread, I am in search of the best bang for the buck related to 78 or 79 series, globally. 75s can be included in that search as well.

I see Hzj78s for sale all the time in AutoScout24 here. As soon as they have a pop top they get expensive pretty quick though. This one is for sale currently in Switzerland for 38,000.- CHF
Pretty expensive for the condition and 200,000kms I’d say. In your price range I’d rather have the HDt

Looking for one without a pop top might make it more realistic in your price range.

toyota-land-cruiser-suvtout-terrain-2000-occasion

Good points, thanks.
Is this straight up pop top strong enough to put a kayak on top of?

Ive seen some that are in the folded down position, but there are many types and its best answered by the manufacturer.

Buckow is right , try to find a 78 with HDT motor , much better then a HZ1 with turbo .
But ...it must also have the right gearbox , H151 , otherwise the extra torque and power will grind the R150.
and regard differentials ...
between a 75 and a 78 , much better 78 .
more confortable , more room , smoother ride , more money .
shipping from Europe to Canada is not that expensive , aprox 1800 € .

bye renago

The 78 series with the 1HDT FTE is an Australia only model , so it will not be LHD.
The body for a 78 series is identical to the 75 series except for the front coil suspension.
The 75 series has the H55F, so you are starting with heavy duty gearbox

75 vs 78 body is not identical .
minor difference to the eye , but they are not interchangeable -
on 78 you have aprox 8-10 cm more in the cabin .

75 vs 78 body is not identical .
minor difference to the eye , but they are not interchangeable -
on 78 you have aprox 8-10 cm more in the cabin .

Where is the 8-10cm? I know for a fact only the 79 series got a length extension of 100mm in the chassis. I park my 75 next to 78s all the time. They are the same length. It is the same body as a 75 series with a few upgrades.

2000 78 series

images

HJ75 series

Toyota-Landcruiser-Troopy-HJ75-Tan-68059-4.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom