Best source for buying pre 2004 HZJ78 or 79 worldwide (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

as said not noticeable by eye ,
the difference is from the end of front door and beginning of back window .
basically the cabin area , or better the space behind the seat .
for sure if you try to mount a 75 body on a 78 chassis , it won't fit !
despite this , may parts and panels are interchangeable .

bye Renago

Renago I must politely say I am fairly sure you are incorrect. Many 75/78 parts are interchangeable true, but I just don't see where this extra length is. My flatmate owns a 75, and I own a fte 78, so just walked outside to check and they are the same.

Regardless @cannedcruiser, I would encourage you to keep looking in Australia, for both 78 and 79 rigs with the fte motor. They were an expensive option, and the community here takes maintenance and tidiness pretty seriously. Though many rigs have high km, you have to remember that we have no salt on our roads, and most of the driving is flat endless highway. I bought one with 400000, and have kept up the regular maintenance while putting on another 50000, so far the only extra work has been reco'ing the xfer case and prop shaft uni joints. I've done other things but not out of necessity.

Another bonus of buying from Aus is that you often get many quality aftermarket additions like bar work, long range tanks, lockers, lifts, pop tops, interior consoles, drawers, kitchens, uhf radios etc etc.

I am familiar with your driving conditions as I grew up in Victoria until 13, when my family and I began travelling before ending up in NZ. After some stints back on the Island as a young man, I eventually immigrated to Australia. I would certainly have a hard time buying a BC vehicle with more than 200000km, but down here it's a bit of a different story. As with every vehicle a thorough service history is worth it's weight in gold when buying 2nd hand.

Good luck with the hunt! If you end up finding anything in the Perth region, I'd be happy to check it out on your behalf, and have an excellent mechanic here who can assist as well.

PM me if you like, who knows we might know each other from the past even haha!

Last edited:
Renago I must politely say I am fairly sure you are incorrect. Many 75/78 parts are interchangeable true, but I just don't see where this extra length is. My flatmate owns a 75, and I own a fte 78, so just walked outside to check and they are the same.

Regardless @cannedcruiser, I would encourage you to keep looking in Australia, for both 78 and 79 rigs with the fte motor. They were an expensive option, and the community here takes maintenance and tidiness pretty seriously. Though many rigs have high km, you have to remember that we have no salt on our roads, and most of the driving is flat endless highway. I bought one with 400000, and have kept up the regular maintenance while putting on another 50000, so far the only extra work has been reco'ing the xfer case and prop shaft uni joints. I've done other things but not out of necessity.

Another bonus of buying from Aus is that you often get many quality aftermarket additions like bar work, long range tanks, lockers, lifts, pop tops, interior consoles, drawers, kitchens, uhf radios etc etc.

I am familiar with your driving conditions as I grew up in Victoria until 13, when my family and I began travelling before ending up in NZ. After some stints back on the Island as a young man, I eventually immigrated to Australia. I would certainly have a hard time buying a BC vehicle with more than 200000km, but down here it's a bit of a different story. As with every vehicle a thorough service history is worth it's weight in gold when buying 2nd hand.

Good luck with the hunt! If you end up finding anything in the Perth region, I'd be happy to check it out on your behalf, and have an excellent mechanic here who can assist as well.

PM me if you like, who knows we might know each other from the past even haha!
cylinders, thanks for steering the conversation back closer the original question. Haha I'll PM ya.

You would be better off buying a cab chassis and fitting your own camper onto it.

$_75.JPG
For sale?

Well, this is what I wound up going with. A 2003 HZJ78r out of Australia. I saw the ad on Gumtree the day it was put up decided this was the one because it is a former police vehicle (likely well maintained) with just under 200kms on it. I gave them a deposit over the phone from Canada and within the week I was in Oz driving it to Richards Auto Electrical in Murray Bridge to have an Alu-Cab pop-top and a bat-wing style awning put on it. $24k AUD for the Troopy was not a steal, but I figure it was fair for what it was. The pop-top and awning cost $16k. $40K AUD isn't cheap, but it is a fair sight better than what it would cost from Europe, I think. Now it's in container headed for Vancouver.

297.JPG

I am planning to ship my 78 with pop up to ZA , and discovered that the max height in a 20 foot container is 236 cm .
with the door clearance to be only 227 cm.
use small tires and no spring lift .
just my 2 cm suggestion .

$28K usd. Yeah, I'd say you did ok. Nice looking truck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom