Best option for FZJ80 rear locker (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, I'm looking to install a rear diff locker into my FZJ80. However, budget is currently tight and I dont know if I want to spend 1k for a ARB locker. What are some other options out there that are cheaper but still recommended. I appreciate any help.

landcruiser.JPG

Another search term would be “auto locker”

Is there a major off road difference in selectable vs auto lockers? I’ve tried to research but I’m slightly confused.

Google is your friend on this one. However, if you are asking these types of questions I wonder if you need a locker at all? Without any information about what your intended use is it’s hard to say.

Here’s a link from google. I typed “Auto locker vs selectable”. You can read peoples opinions for days.

Google is your friend on this one. However, if you are asking these types of questions I wonder if you need a locker at all? Without any information about what your intended use is it’s hard to say.

Here’s a link from google. I typed “Auto locker vs selectable”. You can read peoples opinions for days.

I’ve done some rock crawling and extreme off road but mostly overlanding. I realize that I probably don’t need a locker for 90% of what I’m going to do but I don’t care. Thanks for the link and help

Totally agree. How do you use your truck is important to know. Also, what is your budget? And what is your mechanical skill level?

Totally agree. How do you use your truck is important to know. Also, what is your budget? And what is your mechanical skill level?

I’m a college kid so you can imagine the budget.. my mechanical skill is low but I have a good mechanic

Ran a rear Aussie Locker in my last 80. For a budget option, I'd do it again in a second. Was totally transparent on the road and worked great offroad. Did a lot of tough trails with just that rear locker setup. If I had another unlocked 80 I'd do this again, and do a selectable locker for the front if a front was even needed.

I’m a college kid so you can imagine the budget.. my mechanical skill is low but I have a good mechanic

Ahhhhhh, the rub.

College is for anything but being dirt poor due to illusions of grandeur on what you **might** not even use.

Get a winch. Take it out more & see what just lockimg the trans case does. And in between cracking college books, just read here.

You’re on the right site but damn if we haven’t repeated topics painfully to the point you can find threads.

Besides, if you don’t know the difference between auto & selectable lockers, you don’t know enough yet to be in the market.

I’m trying to be nice, as others know - this is me trying.

At worst, google ________ & ih8mud - I hope you see better than buying a locker & paying for install, esp if you plan to regear for bigger tires.

Do school man, worry about this isht when you have graduate level income / freetime. Seriously.

Ahhhhhh, the rub.

College is for anything but being dirt poor due to illusions of grandeur on what you **might** not even use.

Get a winch. Take it out more & see what just lockimg the trans case does. And in between cracking college books, just read here.

You’re on the right site but damn if we haven’t repeated topics painfully to the point you can find threads.

Besides, if you don’t know the difference between auto & selectable lockers, you don’t know enough yet to be in the market.

At worst, google ________ & ih8mud - I hope you see better than buying a locker & paying for install, esp if you plan to regear for bigger tires.

Do school man, worry about this isht when you have graduate level income / freetime. Seriously.
I agree on most of this. But just to play devil's advocate for a minute....

A winch would be a smart alternative, but an Aussie locker is cheaper than a winch (unless you go cheap on a winch, which I definitely do not recommend). Perfect opportunity to find a local club that wheels and see if someone is willing to help with the install of the locker for a case of their favorite beverages. Would help the OP start to learn how to do some of the mechanical stuff that he's lacking. Would also start to build relationships with others who wheel so he's not needing to venture out alone. I'd personally rather have the locker than the winch and just go wheeling with a buddy that can pull me out if I'm stuck.

FWIW, my last 80 was very basic, (or should I say "budget" built) with a basic OME lift, 35's and a rear aussie locker. No winch, no regear, 100% stock drivetrain. Truck was a pleasure to drive and I took it through lots of difficult trails. So while it definitely preferable to regear if you are into the diffs and if you run big tires, I'm not one that feels it is a requirement. Installing an aussie locker doesn't require pulling the diff, just the diff cover and spider gears so it's minimally intrusive and can be done in an afternoon.

All that said, focusing on school is a smart suggestion especially if money is tight. Also, since the OP is in Oklahoma, maybe a winch is a better choice since a lot of midwest wheeling is just mud and less rocks.

Save your money for the important things like schooling. Put some gas in and make repairs as needed. When I was in college, I was in the same place. I had a FJ45LV, which was much less capable than your rig. It took me and the wife on some of the greatest adventures of my life.

I agree on most of this. But just to play devil's advocate for a minute....

Installing an aussie locker doesn't require pulling the diff, just the diff cover and spider gears so it's minimally intrusive and can be done in an afternoon.

This is true for the FJ80's but the FZJ80's require the 3rd member to be pulled for an autolocker since there is no inspection cover. Definitely a bigger undertaking for a beginner :banana:

Save your money for the important things like schooling. Put some gas in and make repairs as needed. When I was in college, I was in the same place. I had a FJ45LV, which was much less capable than your rig. It took me and the wife on some of the greatest adventures of my life.
Some might say "schooling" being important is debatable. Not to be confused with investing in real "education" in something that will actually improve your financial situation. If that's what we're saying, then I wholeheartedly agree. ;)

This is true for the FJ80's but the FZJ80's require the 3rd member to be pulled for an autolocker since there is no inspection cover. Definitely a bigger undertaking for a beginner :banana:
Ah, you're correct. Mine was an FZJ80 but was a transition year '93 that had a semi-float rear axle so it had the inspection cover. Little more work to pull the diff for sure, but still not terrible IMO.

test

Last edited:
Ahhhhhh, the rub.

Thanks for the advice. My rig is pretty capable already as seen below. Also, I have a full ride for college. I just dont have a current job to fund all the fun cruiser stuff. I appreciate the input though.

landcruiser.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom