Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Cross bars are 1" EMT Conduit with the ends pinched in a vise. I did not use the bolts from the cross bars. I used stainless steel carriage bolts. The square under the head of the bolt was an exact fit in the slot of the factory rails. Used four on each side as well as some nylon spacers. I did not run the EMT all the way to the end because I have canoe bars I can take on and off as needed.

View attachment 1276502

View attachment 1276503

hahahaha you're my new best friend. I know it's a year later but this is rad. I donno how I didn't see it through almost 1000 posts on the 4runner forum. This is happening to the gx REAL soon. Thanks for sharing.

So I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner. Maybe it was the sale on Amazon Prime day that prompted me to think about where I could use another Amazon Dot. For $25 I had to buy another one, and decided to put it in the GX. Works great, tethered to my iPhone. I already had the Grom aux adaptor, so install was nothing. Voice control, blu-tooth integration, wifi and other Echo app functions. Mostly use for music, creating lists, Audible books. Love it. Only complaint is the boot time, trying a battery adaptor if that doesn't work out I may wire it always on, power draw is only 3W.

Select Toyota Scion Lexus 02-12 Auxiliary Input Adapter Kit

Amazon Echo Dot - Add Alexa to any room

So I'm not sure why I didn't think of this sooner. Maybe it was the sale on Amazon Prime day that prompted me to think about where I could use another Amazon Dot. For $25 I had to buy another one, and decided to put it in the GX. Works great, tethered to my iPhone. I already had the Grom aux adaptor, so install was nothing. Voice control, blu-tooth integration, wifi and other Echo app functions. Mostly use for music, creating lists, Audible books. Love it. Only complaint is the boot time, trying a battery adaptor if that doesn't work out I may wire it always on, power draw is only 3W.

Select Toyota Scion Lexus 02-12 Auxiliary Input Adapter Kit

Amazon Echo Dot - Add Alexa to any room

So how is this powered/plugged in your GX????

So this mod is about $143 ($71.50/door) but well worth it. I had to replace my ML 6x9s so I figured I may as well do the other speakers too while I had the door panels off. All are 8ohm and require very little modification, in the case of the mid and tweeters I even used the stock brackets. Took about three hours. Watch online videos on how to remove door panels, if you don't know how, very easy. Update - Added sub upgrade below.

Speakers -

6x9 woofers - got these from another post. $57.97

Amazon.com: DS18 MB69 350 Watts Mid-Bass Speaker, Set of 2: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Metra 82-8146 6" x 9" Front Speaker Adapter for Select Lexus and Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

2" midrange - Picked mainly for their size but sound very decent. Clip or unsolder and reuse harness and bracket. Used some machine screws, washers and nuts to hold the speakers in the brackets. $17.95

Amazon.com: HiWave BMR12 Compact 2" Full-Range Square Speaker 12W 8 Ohm: Home Audio & Theater

1" tweeters - unsolder harness, re-use cap and bracket. You have to clip off a small plastic piece but the new tweeter snaps right in. I used some super glue just to make sure it stays put. These are the most expensive component but well worth it. $66.75

Amazon.com: Dayton Audio AMT Mini-8 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 8 Ohm: Home Audio & Theater

So much better than stock.

UPDATE: Went back in to apply Dynamat all over the doors. The improved bass was causing rattles and vibrations on the doors. Applied Dynamat all over the door and behind the 6x9 drivers. Much better. Amazing improvement over stock ML speakers and keeps getting better.

UPDATE2: Went back in and put 199uF caps on the 6x9s to limit the bass a bit as it was still shaking the door panels. I think the speaker grills are too restrictive and keeping air behind the panel.

UPDATE3: Since I was in audio upgrade mode, I ripped out the useless 6" sub box and put in a external 8" wired to the same stock amp (just extended wire out, box sits behind passenger second row seat pointing to back of truck). This sub driver is made for small enclosures as I didn't want a huge box back there. Its a 8" driver but requires a 9" hole in the box and a 10" grill. Really deep and punchy bass even from the stock amp. Doesn't come in under $100 but wanted to keep this all together. So happy with this setup.

"Tang Band W8-2022 8" RBM Subwoofer 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Amazon.com: Single Car Truck Wedge Black Subwoofer Box Sealed Enclosure for 8-Inch Woofer 8F: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: 10 Inch 10" Universal Metal Car Audio Speaker SubWoofer Waffle Grill Protector Cover With Clips and Screws: Electronics

I went to start ordering all this stuff today and Amazon is OOS of the 6x9 speakers - found one set on eBay for $50....and more at $300. Oof.

Tow strap with loops. Longer the better.

I second on the Baofeng UV5R unlocked 2M 440. Also does unlicensed FRS MURS bands (though not legally)

So this mod is about $143 ($71.50/door) but well worth it. I had to replace my ML 6x9s so I figured I may as well do the other speakers too while I had the door panels off. All are 8ohm and require very little modification, in the case of the mid and tweeters I even used the stock brackets. Took about three hours. Watch online videos on how to remove door panels, if you don't know how, very easy. Update - Added sub upgrade below.

Speakers -

6x9 woofers - got these from another post. $57.97

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N8077VY/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0002BBP7Y/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00IIC6CPE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

2" midrange - Picked mainly for their size but sound very decent. Clip or unsolder and reuse harness and bracket. Used some machine screws, washers and nuts to hold the speakers in the brackets. $17.95

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0008JHBOQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

1" tweeters - unsolder harness, re-use cap and bracket. You have to clip off a small plastic piece but the new tweeter snaps right in. I used some super glue just to make sure it stays put. These are the most expensive component but well worth it. $66.75

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EO76ZGS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

So much better than stock.

UPDATE: Went back in to apply Dynamat all over the doors. The improved bass was causing rattles and vibrations on the doors. Applied Dynamat all over the door and behind the 6x9 drivers. Much better. Amazing improvement over stock ML speakers and keeps getting better.

UPDATE2: Went back in and put 199uF caps on the 6x9s to limit the bass a bit as it was still shaking the door panels. I think the speaker grills are too restrictive and keeping air behind the panel.

UPDATE3: Since I was in audio upgrade mode, I ripped out the useless 6" sub box and put in a external 8" wired to the same stock amp (just extended wire out, box sits behind passenger second row seat pointing to back of truck). This sub driver is made for small enclosures as I didn't want a huge box back there. Its a 8" driver but requires a 9" hole in the box and a 10" grill. Really deep and punchy bass even from the stock amp. Doesn't come in under $100 but wanted to keep this all together. So happy with this setup.

"Tang Band W8-2022 8" RBM Subwoofer 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003LYL4R0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N4918A0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I ordered the subwoofer and box linked in your post and the sub is wayy too big for the box. Did you just cut a bigger hole?

I ordered the subwoofer and box linked in your post and the sub is wayy too big for the box. Did you just cut a bigger hole?

Yes, jig saw. Just cut more toward the top than the bottom so the speaker frame doesnt hit the bottom of the box. I also stuffed mine with cotton battening. Really deep bass from such a small box.

Yes, jig saw. Just cut more toward the top than the bottom so the speaker frame doesnt hit the bottom of the box. I also stuffed mine with cotton battening. Really deep bass from such a small box.
I did not stuff it, but I did end up cutting the hole larger with a jigsaw. Hopefully it works out well - I am working on the front door speakers now (6x9's are already done -- doing the mids/tweeters at the moment!). :)

Do you have a pic of how the tweeter is supposed to snap in? I'm not seeing it - my OEM ML tweeter looks like it's integrated into the bracket.

Edit: Ahh, it's glued in. N/m. :)

Last edited:
I have not messed with any aftermarket audio in quite a while, so my memory may be incorrect. I was thinking I could wire two 4 ohm speakers in series and that would make it an 8 ohm load on the amp, meaning I could still use the factory amp. Is there a place where I can find out the specs on the factory sub enclosure and amplifier? I wondered what the enclosure's volume was and the wattage on the subwoofer channel of the amplifier. There are plenty of 8" subwoofers, but the number of 6" subwoofers is very small, and 8 ohm makes that number even smaller! If the volume of the stock enclosure is a bit small some poly-batting would help make up for a minor deficit.

I have not messed with any aftermarket audio in quite a while, so my memory may be incorrect. I was thinking I could wire two 4 ohm speakers in series and that would make it an 8 ohm load on the amp, meaning I could still use the factory amp. Is there a place where I can find out the specs on the factory sub enclosure and amplifier? I wondered what the enclosure's volume was and the wattage on the subwoofer channel of the amplifier. There are plenty of 8" subwoofers, but the number of 6" subwoofers is very small, and 8 ohm makes that number even smaller! If the volume of the stock enclosure is a bit small some poly-batting would help make up for a minor deficit.

Yes (link) or you could buy 8 ohm speakers and then use all of the OEM wiring as well. :)

Is there only the sub in the cargo area? Sometimes it sounds like one in the dash, but could be my messed up hearing as well!

I built myself an attic for some extra storage space, but am not entirely happy with the result. I want to make some different brackets and maybe even a new shelf. That’s probably going to be a springtime project.

[QUOTE="I built myself an attic for some extra storage space, but am not entirely happy with the result. I want to make some different brackets and maybe even a new shelf. That’s probably going to be a springtime project.[/QUOTE]

Very interested. Have ideas for the same... I was linked by a friend to these fairly rigid 2x2 square mesh 48" wire shelves (1/4" wire)...what the cruiser guys use. Haven't seen them in-hand though. Went to a scrap yard to browse expanded steel, perforated, grates, shelving, etc. but was with kid and colder weather so no real 'browsing' time.

I'd like to see what you've got and read your thoughts.

My mind's eye pictured a shelf of counduit, of wire rack, of expanded steel and 1/2" angle... I'm thinking of ways to fab brackets that would fit where the handles screw in rather than tying to the handles. . . .
emoji_u1f914.png

Last edited:
Is there only the sub in the cargo area? Sometimes it sounds like one in the dash, but could be my messed up hearing as well!

I built myself an attic for some extra storage space, but am not entirely happy with the result. I want to make some different brackets and maybe even a new shelf. That’s probably going to be a springtime project.

The front door speakers put out a fair amount of bass. That may be what you're hearing.

Very interested. Have ideas for the same... I was linked by a friend to these fairly rigid 2x2 square mesh 48" wire shelves (1/4" wire)...what the cruiser guys use. Haven't seen them in-hand though. Went to a scrap yard to browse expanded steel, perforated, grates, shelving, etc. but was with kid and colder weather so no real 'browsing' time.

I'd like to see what you've got and read your thoughts.

My mind's eye pictured a shelf of counduit, of wire rack, of expanded steel and 1/2" angle... I'm thinking of ways to fab brackets that would fit where the handles screw in rather than tying to the handles. . . .
emoji_u1f914.png

I used some of the slotted steel angle I found at Home Depot, and after bending/cutting painted it to match my headliner. The angle needs to be adjusted for sure, along with the holes, because it is not where I want it to be.

What I did was use the handle to mark my mounting holes on the bracket I created. I used closet shelving, but it is very under-strength even for the few things I have strapped on it at the moment. I used cable clamps to secure the shelving to the brackets. I thought about getting some more angle stock or bar stock to reinforce the shelf, but it will be a spring or summer project at this point.

The mounting depth of the handles is greater than I expected. The way the headliner is sculpted makes me want to get some bar stock and create a spacer for the brackets to make it stand off about an in or so. This would bring the bracket out flush to the headliner and might make it look cleaner than what I have created. Maybe adjusting the angle further and adjusting the cuts is a better solution.

Years ago I had an Xterra and I made something similar. Thinking back about that, and the one I have created now, I plan to make another change as well. I will be trying to figure out how to extend the lip up front to meet the headliner. Even with the bungee cords and making sure to not put anything heavy up there I still had some things bounce loose when coming down a steep hill on a trail. A taller lip will make this nearly impossible, and would make me more comfortable storing things up there in case of an accident. Loose items can become projectiles!

All of this rambling would probably make more sense if I had some photos! I will try to go grab some later this weekend, that's if my little monsters will give me enough free time to make it happen!

Last edited:
All of this rambling would probably make more sense if I had some photos! I will try to go grab some later this weekend, that's if my little monsters will give me enough free time to make it happen!

ExAAAACTLY!!!
emoji_u1f606.png

The precise reason mine hasn't even made it onto paper, let alone prototyping into the rig.
emoji_u1f609.png

But, yeah I think I follow ... especially the ceiling contour to match a taller front lip for containment and yes, pix are king ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom