Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trying to upload from my phone, we’ll see if it works.

You can see the angle needs adjusting a bit more, and I cut them a bit shorter than I intended. For a template I believe they will function perfectly though! I would like to use some steel and get it bent in a brake. I did know someone with a plasma table that would have worked great for cutting the bracket but moved away and lost touch with them. Wish there were metal shops where you could use all the equipment for a fee like the maker spaces I hear about in bigger cities!

As it currently exists I have way less than $100 in this to keep with the theme of the thread.

A4ECB75E-4D92-48BB-AE45-5E87D343DDD4.jpeg

Trying to upload from my phone, we’ll see if it works.

You can see the angle needs adjusting a bit more, and I cut them a bit shorter than I intended. For a template I believe they will function perfectly though! I would like to use some steel and get it bent in a brake. I did know someone with a plasma table that would have worked great for cutting the bracket but moved away and lost touch with them. Wish there were metal shops where you could use all the equipment for a fee like the maker spaces I hear about in bigger cities!

As it currently exists I have way less than $100 in this to keep with the theme of the thread.

View attachment 1571393
Cool and simple. Is that a 12" deep shelf as prototype? I'm thinking 18" deep in my mind's eye with the 1/4" wire rack (2" squares) (LC's 3rd row option: Wire Mesh Deck 48"Wx18"D) But i bet the 16" deep white wire shelving would be good too, and make front lip taller (as you said too)

Got tired of that useless storage pouch in the rear door. Came up with a fix. For less than $70 I bought a molle panel and three bags. I trimmed the panel just bigger than the size needed, folded the sides under, and riveted it to the plastic. I put the rivets behind the molle loops so they are not seen. It was pretty easy to do. I might switch out some of the bags. That's the best part, there are countless options will molle.
IMG_4651.jpg
IMG_4652.jpg
IMG_4654.jpg
IMG_4653.jpg
IMG_4655.jpg

Got tired of that useless storage pouch in the rear door. Came up with a fix. For less than $70 I bought a molle panel and three bags. I trimmed the panel just bigger than the size needed, folded the sides under, and riveted it to the plastic. I put the rivets behind the molle loops so they are not seen. It was pretty easy to do. I might switch out some of the bags. That's the best part, there are countless options will molle.View attachment 1575340View attachment 1575341View attachment 1575342View attachment 1575343View attachment 1575345
oooh, I like!!!

Got tired of that useless storage pouch in the rear door. Came up with a fix. For less than $70 I bought a molle panel and three bags. I trimmed the panel just bigger than the size needed, folded the sides under, and riveted it to the plastic. I put the rivets behind the molle loops so they are not seen. It was pretty easy to do. I might switch out some of the bags. That's the best part, there are countless options will molle.View attachment 1575340View attachment 1575341View attachment 1575342View attachment 1575343View attachment 1575345
Oh now that is brilliant.

Cool and simple. Is that a 12" deep shelf as prototype? I'm thinking 18" deep in my mind's eye with the 1/4" wire rack (2" squares) (LC's 3rd row option: Wire Mesh Deck 48"Wx18"D) But i bet the 16" deep white wire shelving would be good too, and make front lip taller (as you said too)

I am afraid to go any further forward with the shelf, I worry it will be at the perfect location to hit your head if you happen to be an adult riding in the back seats. There is room to go back towards the hatch, but to get it really tight it will have to contour/taper. That wire rack would probably be perfect if you make a frame. I had given thought to diamond mesh, and even stamped/perforated sheet metal. At that point I think I will be in it for more that $100 though, been a long time since I have bought any metal.

Decided to try that Grom adaptor in the GX. Ordered direct from Grom off of fleaBay and it arrived in about 3 days. I installed it yesterday and took less than 8 minutes. I used a wood chisel and shaved about 1/4” off of the plastic behind the ash tray and double side taped the adaptor underneath the ash tray.

For the price I think it’s a little much. I could get a decent double din radio for about $80-90 with iPod controls but by the time you add in the harness adaptor and steering wheel adaptor it’ll be $120+. Oh, well.

It sucks that those adapters only work on the NAV vehicles. Would love to have iPod connection until I am ready to start on replacing the stereo unit.

I haven't found the time to mess with my audio yet, so I use one of these (best mode under $5)

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Insten-U...us-S5-S4-S3-HTC-One-M9-M8-M7-A9-LG-G/28881258

Or if you want to splurge, you can get a cassette adapter with bluetooth which always seem a little weird to me

https://www.walmart.com/ip/ION-ITR20-Bluetooth-Cassette-Adapter/39577143

I'm still looking for the 8-track adapter with bluetooth! :):)

It sucks that those adapters only work on the NAV vehicles. Would love to have iPod connection until I am ready to start on replacing the stereo unit.

Mine doesn’t have NAV. It does have the in dash CD changer, though. The changer is a separate unit behind the fascia and that’s where the Grom plugs inline with a ‘Y’ adaptor harness.

Interesting? So yours is a separate unit behind the dash? Isn’t it a double din that you can load 5 or 6 CD’s using one of these: Auxillary Adapter,Yomikoo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016BD7LKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xzQjAbFT756PK with no luck.

And thanks Dharma Dude for the casset tip. That will be a last resort if I don’t get something else figured out for the Moab Trip

Interesting? So yours is a separate unit behind the dash? Isn’t it a double din that you can load 5 or 6 CD’s using one of these: Auxillary Adapter,Yomikoo https://www.amazon.com/dp/B016BD7LKG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xzQjAbFT756PK with no luck.

And thanks Dharma Dude for the casset tip. That will be a last resort if I don’t get something else figured out for the Moab Trip

That looks like it would work. But in mine that plug would go in place the in dash CD changer. The Grom has a ‘Y’ on it although I’ve yet to try a CD.

That looks like it would work. But in mine that plug would go in place the in dash CD changer. The Grom has a ‘Y’ on it although I’ve yet to try a CD.

People still uses CDs? I haven't used one in over a decade.

Lol. My wife does. Once a year my baby girl will get one from her ballet teacher with the recital songs on it.

Here’s my head unit. I don’t think there were many nonNAV HUs made.
View attachment 1586703

I'm confused, what did you use the Grom unit for ? I also have a non-nav and would like to upgrade to a double din w/ Bluetooth before my next outing.

@Brake Weight yeah that is what I have the 6 disc in dash changer. But I believe the CD changer plug was empty and I just plugged in the Yamikoo unit into the back the only plug it would fit into. Maybe I just got a bad unit? Which of the Grom adapters did you use? About 5 different kinds showed up in a search on their site. Looks like the cheapest ones that requires a cord connection is $68 and then up to $145 for bluetooth and then one more for $499 that is not even a consideration for my wallet.

@Brake Weight yeah that is what I have the 6 disc in dash changer. But I believe the CD changer plug was empty and I just plugged in the Yamikoo unit into the back the only plug it would fit into. Maybe I just got a bad unit? Which of the Grom adapters did you use? About 5 different kinds showed up in a search on their site. Looks like the cheapest ones that requires a cord connection is $68 and then up to $145 for bluetooth and then one more for $499 that is not even a consideration for my wallet.

This one.
iPod iPhone AUX GROM TOYNA1 Adapter car digital interface car stereo #TOYNA1 | eBay

My rear door handle broke, so I found another cheaper alternative to the para-cord handle. If you don't mind having a Chinese part made for a Jeep, then you might want to try these handles for $7.99 from Amazon (free one-day Prime shipping and no tax). Since it's not an OEM Jeep part, my GX still doesn't have any OEM Jeep parts LOL

I'll install later today...need to find the hardware to hold it in place.

Opar Windshield Pillar Rear Side Grab Handle for 2007-2017 Jeep JK Wranger Unlimited 4-Door (Black,Pack of 2)

Rear-Handles.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom