Best Mod for under $100 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

So this mod is about $143 ($71.50/door) but well worth it. I had to replace my ML 6x9s so I figured I may as well do the other speakers too while I had the door panels off. All are 8ohm and require very little modification, in the case of the mid and tweeters I even used the stock brackets. Took about three hours. Watch online videos on how to remove door panels, if you don't know how, very easy. Update - Added sub upgrade below.

Speakers -

6x9 woofers - got these from another post. $57.97

Amazon.com: DS18 MB69 350 Watts Mid-Bass Speaker, Set of 2: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Metra 72-8104 Speaker Connector for Select Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics
Amazon.com: Metra 82-8146 6" x 9" Front Speaker Adapter for Select Lexus and Toyota Vehicles: Car Electronics

2" midrange - Picked mainly for their size but sound very decent. Clip or unsolder and reuse harness and bracket. Used some machine screws, washers and nuts to hold the speakers in the brackets. $17.95

Amazon.com: HiWave BMR12 Compact 2" Full-Range Square Speaker 12W 8 Ohm: Home Audio & Theater

1" tweeters - unsolder harness, re-use cap and bracket. You have to clip off a small plastic piece but the new tweeter snaps right in. I used some super glue just to make sure it stays put. These are the most expensive component but well worth it. $66.75

Amazon.com: Dayton Audio AMT Mini-8 Air Motion Transformer Tweeter 8 Ohm: Home Audio & Theater

So much better than stock.

UPDATE: Went back in to apply Dynamat all over the doors. The improved bass was causing rattles and vibrations on the doors. Applied Dynamat all over the door and behind the 6x9 drivers. Much better. Amazing improvement over stock ML speakers and keeps getting better.

UPDATE2: Went back in and put 199uF caps on the 6x9s to limit the bass a bit as it was still shaking the door panels. I think the speaker grills are too restrictive and keeping air behind the panel.

UPDATE3: Since I was in audio upgrade mode, I ripped out the useless 6" sub box and put in a external 8" wired to the same stock amp (just extended wire out, box sits behind passenger second row seat pointing to back of truck). This sub driver is made for small enclosures as I didn't want a huge box back there. Its a 8" driver but requires a 9" hole in the box and a 10" grill. Really deep and punchy bass even from the stock amp. Doesn't come in under $100 but wanted to keep this all together. So happy with this setup.

"Tang Band W8-2022 8" RBM Subwoofer 8 Ohm" from www.parts-express.com!

Amazon.com: Single Car Truck Wedge Black Subwoofer Box Sealed Enclosure for 8-Inch Woofer 8F: Car Electronics

Amazon.com: 10 Inch 10" Universal Metal Car Audio Speaker SubWoofer Waffle Grill Protector Cover With Clips and Screws: Electronics
Did you replace speakers in the rear doors as well? Ever find something for center front/rear?

I left mine in the rear. Did all the rest

Cobra 75 WX XT cb radio, right at $100, tucked the module under the seat;

IMG_6305_zpskyo8wsjl.jpg

Keep it coming!
did something very close to this for my 75WXST

fire stick and a fire stick mount, tied to the rack with Quick Fist, later I plan to mount to a rear bumper someway or to the body like someone else did on here. It sticks way up, so I have a spring for the antenna coming, right now I have 1.2 on both channel 1 & 40

IMG_0490.jpg

Last edited:
I have been looking at all sorts of ways to attach stuff to the OEM rack and QuickFists never crossed my mind. I might have to steal that!

coops2k, how long is your firestick that you are using?

I have a 4' firestick but haven't figured out where I want to mount it so I have a magnetic antenna I was going to try to get hooked to use for my trip.

I would not trust that at all!

You would be better off ordering Tee slot hardware and attaching it to the rack just like the cross bars do.

why? I would like to know what your thinking. quick fist holds shovels, axes and a lot heaver stuff on racks and other places. I also have this zip tied. I am leaving tomorrow and I live in a very small town, I couldn't even get an antenna spring over night, so I have a friend bring me one from Houston. my only other option I could think of was a radiator clamp.

coops2k, how long is your firestick that you are using?

I have a 4' firestick but haven't figured out where I want to mount it so I have a magnetic antenna I was going to try to get hooked to use for my trip.

4' also. I was looking at drilling holes in the body, at the rear door, but not yet, like this one, post #8 Another Pearl GX Trail Ready Project Begins.... I plan to get a rear bumper this fall and will try to find a permeant mount then.

Last edited:
4' also. I was looking at drilling holes in the body, at the rear door, but not yet, like this one, post #8 Another Pearl GX Trail Ready Project Begins.... I plan to get a rear bumper this fall and will try to find a permeant mount then.
Yes I'd like a mount like that but haven't wanted to drive holes in the body.

I'm thinking of getting the Gobi ladder and attaching the firestick to the ladder and also to transport my Koplin fuel pack. If I'm going to get it I have to order soon to get it and install it before my trip. It's getting here quickly.

why? I would like to know what your thinking. quick fist holds shovels, axes and a lot heaver stuff on racks and other places. I also have this zip tied. I am leaving tomorrow and I live in a very small town, I couldn't even get an antenna spring over night, so I have a friend bring me one from Houston. my only other option I could think of was a radiator clamp.

Shovels and axes have two quick fist that are spread out and fill the fist completely to grasp. Plus they are typically mounted horizontally and are less likely to take a hit from a branch. This bracket is only a few inches long and it is only grasping a portion of the bracket and only on the back side. I have the same or similar firestick mount and you just need to commit and mount it correctly.
img_9031-jpg.1421160

I did a mount similar to you on my first Baja trip but it was not meant to be driven as mounted just when stopped for an emergency.
IMG_7595.JPG

Just my opinion if you feel it is good to go then go with it. I am just voicing my alternate opinion to others who would consider following your lead.

Shovels and axes have two quick fist that are spread out and fill the fist completely to grasp. Plus they are typically mounted horizontally and are less likely to take a hit from a branch. This bracket is only a few inches long and it is only grasping a portion of the bracket and only on the back side. I have the same or similar firestick mount and you just need to commit and mount it correctly.
img_9031-jpg.1421160

I did a mount similar to you on my first Baja trip but it was not meant to be driven as mounted just when stopped for an emergency.
IMG_7595.JPG

Just my opinion if you feel it is good to go then go with it. I am just voicing my alternate opinion to others who would consider following your lead.

thanks, I thought about that and right now I didn't want to drill holes. when I searched the forums, yours was the best option I saw, except for the drilling, but I will admit, that I am bring a drill along and the hardware if needed. I am also getting a spring for the antenna for branches and stuff, it will be installed tomorrow before we head out.

I also added a couple of HD zip ties to the mount and the little hole by the cross bar and through the extra holes on the mount to the rack.

Do you happen to know what SWR readings you are getting with the antenna mounted like that? How is the reception and out put of the CB? I also questioned that when I didn't mount it there.

That mount is for my HAM, I use a magnetic antenna that came off of one of my Dad's 1960's cars he bought and sold for my CB. They don't make stuff like they used to so both have worked out great for me although you can't beat HAM communication.

Why mount it so high up on the rear where it's angled like that? I mounted mine down closer to the bumper. It still has really good forward coverage because the body lines. See below.. Just use a few washers to get it square over the lip.

Last edited:
56564080c925ea5c55e6a39e37613b75.jpg
8b835db01f622daa27a9d55b29faaca7.jpg

That mount is for my HAM, I use a magnetic antenna that came off of one of my Dad's 1960's cars he bought and sold for my CB. They don't make stuff like they used to so both have worked out great for me although you can't beat HAM communication.

doing HAM also, already have a hand held and my license, but on this trip everyone has CB's and I will keep the CB for weather reports

Why mount it so high up on the rear where it's angled like that? I mounted mine down closer to the bumper. It still has really good forward coverage because the body lines. See below.. Just use a few washers to get it square over the lip.

do you know what your SWR readings are?

do you know what your SWR readings are?

It's been awhile so I don't exactly but it was near perfect then and I've had no issues with reception or transmission. I have a magnetic dualband ham Antenna on the roof and still no issues.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom