Best current knuckle rebuild kit (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Getting parts together to do my knuckle rebuild on my 96 LX450. Did a search and found a lot of great info. Some really old. Who currently has the best all inclusive kit? Not sure if I am going to do or let the local experts do it. Just want to have all parts needed so when I am ready I can go for it.
Thanks in advance.
Tom

Yup. Kurt is by far the go to based on the last few years of experience. Cruiser Outfitters.

You are asking two different questions here:

1. What is the “best” knuckle kit? What does this mean to you? It means different things to different people.

2. What is the most “inclusive” kit? Again, what does this mean to you?

Others have mentioned Cruiser Outfitters and I do agree that you’ll have the best “experience” buying a bunch of widgets and consumables.

That said, quality statements and inclusivity statements might not actually be fulfilled by their offerings.

You might have to do some research to really figure out what “best” and “most inclusive” really mean.

Yup. Kurt is by far the go to based on the last few years of experience. Cruiser Outfitters.
I just did my first rebuild with this kit and I couldn't be happier. They don't mess around when it comes to shipping and they are wizards at customer service. If you have questions about the kit or any of their products for that matter they will steer you in the right direction.

Or Cruiser Bros also has a nice kit. I’ve used both cruiser bros and cruiser outfitters and both have great service, prices, and quality components.

Forgot where I read it, but one kit there was advice not to use the seal provided. Reason I was askin is the most data I found was from early 2012-2017. Figured somethings may have changed.
Tom

Just make sure you use inner axle seal from Toyota not Marlin eco seals

IF you have a bent axle housing (even slightly) Marlin's seals do work better than the OEM seals. Ask me how I know this.

Beyond that I always bought my knuckle kits from Cruiser Outfitters. I didn't always use all of the kit's pieces, YMMV.....

FWIW examine the knuckle balls closely. Any pitting, wear, or gouges in them will prematurely wear out the seals that bear on it. One housing that I used had minor blemishes in these surfaces and I knew that the seals wouldn't last for very long if I just cleaned things and put it back together. As an experiment I painted the balls with gray POR-15 (whole housing got painted at that time). It took several coats to get a build thickness up to filling in all of the various blemishes on the balls themselves. I then used a roll of 1.5" wide "Crocus cloth" to sand the balls smooth, reducing grit as I went. When the grit got fine enough I polished the paint (did NOT wax it!), and then assembled the knuckle seals. 4 years later they still were not leaking when I sold that truck. Pic just before the new owner picked it up:
i-dBxsvxw-M.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom