Best All Around Tires with Snow/Ice Rating (16 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

If it is an occasional off road excursion then I would recomend the duratracs. Better ride, good road manners and good in the snow. That said, I have read, and seen, too many problems with soft sidewalls on the duratracs. My brother gashed three sidewalls on one trip alone. These have the three peak mountain snowflake symbol for superior snow traction. TPMS

I have had good luck with the BFG KO2s. I have put them on my son's Taco and my daughter's 4runner and my old expedition. My son is here in Phoenix, my daughter in Missoula Montana. He used his heavily off road and in our sharp rocks, never a failure. Same with the expo. My daughter is a DD in Montana and loves the tires in the snow. If you are more than an occasional off roader, than I would run the BFGs. These also have teh TPMS.

In the end, run what you are happy and comfortable with. If you are truly open minded, focus on what you use the vehicle for. These are the only two ATs, that I know of, that have the TPMS. So if running in the snow is important, I think you are limited to these tires.

Summary - Goodrich for light off road use. BFG for heavier to heavy off road use.

Good luck!

For the Duratrac owners, I don’t rock crawl, or bash my rig up in hardcore off-roading. I like to camp, drive forest roads and find new hidden places to escape the crowds. People keep talking about the weak sidewalls, for my purposes this shouldn’t be an issue right? Just if I was doing low tire pressure type crawling?

For the Duratrac owners, I don’t rock crawl, or bash my rig up in hardcore off-roading. I like to camp, drive forest roads and find new hidden places to escape the crowds. People keep talking about the weak sidewalls, for my purposes this shouldn’t be an issue right? Just if I was doing low tire pressure type crawling?

Doesn't sound like it but still need to watch the sidewalls. My brother blew two on a rocky FS road. Nothing special, rocks about the size of softballs to footballs in places. Also need to watch for stumps and roots. If you are driving on gravel roads, you will not have a problem at all. Roads that are not really maintained become an issue.

This is helpful. I need to go KOs then. Thanks!

I live in eastern WA, I have had Duratracs on an 03 Tundra, and have them on my cruiser for 2 winters.

I put KO2's on my '10 Sequoia Plat last fall.

I will be putting KO2's on everything moving forward.

It's hard to compare exactly since the AWD / Traction / weight distribution between those 3 rigs are different, but I my overall impression is that they are significantly quieter and have better all around winter traction. I did a 180 spin out on the LC this winter, on a steep grade with fresh snow, and at times it feels slightly squirelier than the BFG's.

Maybe the Duratracs are better in mud / other extreme trail conditions, I havn't used them much beyond snowy logging road trails, but with how rock solid the KO2's were this winter I'll take the trade off.

To be clear, I'm not ragging on the Duratracs, they are great tires, but for my needs which is more DD than wheeling they just make more sense.

if its not a 3 ply sidewall I woldnt even consider it unless it was pavement only or just for the looks. all it takes is one stump or rock and your changing a tire on the trail.

Duratracs are good, but noisy on bare pavement. I've been running BFG KO's for 15+ years; good wear, great all-around tire, no too noisy on the highway.
My 2 pennies...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom