Best all around Snow Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Who is going to try some of these on there next snow wheeling trip?

Amazon product ASIN B08M5WR56Q
Lol no way. I’ve bent the end links of chains when off-roading in the snow. There is often tire spin involved even with chains. There is no way cable ties would last on a trail with buried rocks and roots.

I went to Les Schwab and bought a set of what they call mud service chains. Heavy duty regular link chains, similar to what I use at work on my UPS truck. They work great in packed snow or ice. Deep snow they chain dig a bit too much and get you stuck. Pretty unstoppable for the most part in a locked 80.

With only one set of chains, I would go front everytime.
You have traction on the steering tires then, not just forward/reverse control, but also directional control
That was my thinking as well. However, I was surprised reading in my 2018 J200 manual that there is a clear recommendation to put chains on the rear tires and explicitly stating to not put chains on the front tires. I am curious about the reason behind that recommendation. See manual:

Snow Tire Recommendation J200.jpg

Ok sorry, I noticed I posted in the 80-series forum, instead 200 and I can't find a way to delete my post but can only edit it. Anyways, may be the same recommendation exists for the 80 series.

That was my thinking as well. However, I was surprised reading in my 2018 J200 manual that there is a clear recommendation to put chains on the rear tires and explicitly stating to not put chains on the front tires. I am curious about the reason behind that recommendation. See manual:

View attachment 3564575
Chains on the front of an ifs vehicle will usually have problems interfering with a-arms/ball joint area.

View attachment 3564575
Ok sorry, I noticed I posted in the 80-series forum, instead 200 and I can't find a way to delete my post but can only edit it. Anyways, may be the same recommendation exists for the 80 series.
Did you read post 13? Also, in high range power to the front wheels is subordinate to power delivered to the rear traction being equal.

Chains on the front of an ifs vehicle will usually have problems interfering with a-arms/ball joint area.
Then how do most passenger cars on this planet ever chain up and run down the road successfully?

Heavy mud type chains when you are in absolute s***. Drive slowly, check and tighten often. Spinning will get you nowhere, so throttle accordingly. I carry 4 heavy chains, and sometimes you use all 4 and other times one will do. This takes practice. Chain up before you decide to do something...
Chains will break, even heavy duty, so have something to field repair or at least help you limp out.
Did I mention check the chains while driving?

Be very careful in Reverse as a spinning wheel with chains will send the front drive plate flying because you never know when something buried and out of sight will screw your day.
Check your chains before heading out.
Carry a chainsaw and high lift jack because sometimes you need to lift the unit and stuff a hole with wood(rocks)
As for traction pads. OK for short term use and to make you look cool at the grocery store. Don't get me wrong, I have them and used them.
So
Big heavy duty chains for a s*** show, drive slowly, and check, check tighten and check.
Stop the moment you hear or feel something and check.
Sometimes it pays to nudge the front end forward to pack a track, back up and move forward again, do this until you know that you have a good base, time consuming yes, but at least you are not shoveling.

Screenshot_20240223_080220_Chrome.jpg

Then how do most passenger cars on this planet ever chain up and run down the road successfully?
I don’t know. I wasn’t thinking about passenger cars. Have you tried fitting heavy duty chains to the front of a 4Runner or 200 series? I was just looking at a 4Runner the other day and I wouldn’t try running chains on the front due to clearance issues with the upper control arm.

Seems you advocate for chains on the rear anyway so not sure why we are arguing.

I don’t know. I wasn’t thinking about passenger cars. Have you tried fitting heavy duty chains to the front of a 4Runner or 200 series? I was just looking at a 4Runner the other day and I wouldn’t try running chains on the front due to clearance issues with the upper control arm.

Seems you advocate for chains on the rear anyway so not sure why we are arguing.
I was unaware that we are arguing.

How? Why?

80 series transfer splits torque 50/50 front and rear doesn't it?
My comment is based on times when I’ve forgotten to mash the CDL button while in low range ( part time kit installed) on a boulder strewn trail. Now that you make the question, and I think more about the internal workings of the T-case, you are probably correct.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom