Best all around Snow Chains (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

StaticTorque

SILVER Star
Threads
I was just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on what snow chains to run. For both off road use, and on road use. Saw a couple threads saying V-style are the best, so I was thinking that route.

I'd say that if you don't have to use chains, don't use chains. A winter tire, sometimes even a mountain snowflake rated tire, can suffice most of the time. Can also carry traction boards for bad situations.

That said, you probably don't want something overly aggressive. Something sturdy will normally have more links and not be quick adjust, so more of a pain to put on, but less to go wrong.

I use the old fashioned chain ones.Easy to install and unstoppable in deep ice and snow only.

I bought these. I'll keep you posted.

I bought these. I'll keep you posted.

I have those. They work great for me. You’ll want to run them on all four wheels.

Cable chains are the lowest profile, so least chance of body contact. Standard chains have more traction, taller profile, and a bit less civilized/ noisier, bumper. Vee bars are even more rude, but best on ice. Absolute best chains I ever had was a full set of semi truck chains that I traded a bunch of firewood for. Very rude and body clearance is risky, even after I shortened them to fit snuggly on my tires. They worked like steel paddle wheels.

I have those. They work great for me. You’ll want to run them on all four wheels.
I only bought them for front. Hopefully I'm good.

I was just wondering what everyone’s opinion is on what snow chains to run. For both off road use, and on road use. Saw a couple threads saying V-style are the best, so I was thinking that route.
Our recent ice storm got you thinking didn’t it? I went to install the chains I purchased for my pick up last month at Les Schwab and what junk they are. Supposed to be easier to install. I didn’t use them so they will be returned after April 1, that’s their policy.

I went shopping for “classic” tire chains and the V style do come highly recommended. I found what I’ll order tomorrow at Midwest Traction dot com. I’m getting these and they also recommend the rubber, star style tensioners for added security so your rig doesn’t end up beaten by the chains if they happen to shift or the cam lock unlocks. The price is very reasonable. I think I’ll order the same for my flat bed trailer.

I recently purchase VBar chains for back country dirt road/hunting, love them.

But for all around, paved/highway, I was looking at the square link chains.

Purchased and installed today to get down our icy driveway. Worked out great!

5896EE7F-FEC1-4AA3-ACAB-3BF2A78AAA8A.jpeg

With only one set of chains, I would go front everytime.
You have traction on the steering tires then, not just forward/reverse control, but also directional control
Having grown up up Northern parts of Michigan, I’m pretty sure that is incorrect. Going uphill weight transfers to the rear where the chains can provide good traction. Going downhill the chains being on the rear axle will provide the bite necessary to keep the rear end from passing up the front end sort of like dragging and anchor.

Last edited:
Having grown up up Northern parts of Michigan, I’m pretty sure that is incorrect. Going uphill weight transfers to the rear where the chains can provide good traction. Going downhill the chains being on the rear axle will provide the bite necessary to keep the rear end from passing up the front end sort of like dragging and anchor.
I don't disagree, and for more experienced drivers, what you're saying probably makes sense.

Snow and ice on roads is something I've rarely had to deal with.
Working in our ski resorts, almost all the towns that service resorts are below the snow line. Occasionally, a big snow storm would mean driving to/from work on snow. Snow here is often wet and can pack down with a glazed glassy surface that's slick AF.

Advice from our National Parks and Roads Authorities here is to use chains on the rear for rear wheel drive vehicles, use them on front wheels for AWD and 4x4 vehicles.

I think for people with no experience of snow and ice, and average driving skills, the advice above make sense to me

Good old snow chains. You don't want to get stuck while using them.

I like to call them mud chains, I have had to use them a few times on some nasty off camber muddy roads. The chains are the only thing that kept my rig from sliding off the dugway and down a very steep hill.

For sure I will not venture on a hunting trip in the western US after October without a set.

This may not be what you're looking for, but I'm going to post it because I had no idea they existed until today. A nurse acquaintance of mine was able to make it into work because of these during the ice storm we had last week in the Willamette valley. A full day of freezing rain left the roads covered in a sheet of ice, and nobody else I know even left their house for around 36 hours.

Here's a pretty good Youtube video comparing a similar product to chains:

Summary: they won't be your choice if you're planning to dig your way through snow-covered, muddy, rocky trails, but they're far easier to put on than chains and offered better braking performance. 25 mph max speed, and use on clear asphalt has to be avoided.

Our recent ice storm got you thinking didn’t it? I went to install the chains I purchased for my pick up last month at Les Schwab and what junk they are. Supposed to be easier to install. I didn’t use them so they will be returned after April 1, that’s their policy.

I went shopping for “classic” tire chains and the V style do come highly recommended. I found what I’ll order tomorrow at Midwest Traction dot com. I’m getting these and they also recommend the rubber, star style tensioners for added security so your rig doesn’t end up beaten by the chains if they happen to shift or the cam lock unlocks. The price is very reasonable. I think I’ll order the same for my flat bed trailer.
Your tires take studs. If needed often, I'd say buy an extra pair and stud them.

Your tires take studs. If needed often, I'd say buy an extra pair and stud them.
I have a 300 foot long asphalt driveway that studded tires might erode unless I ran the studded tires only when there was ice and snow on the deck. I don’t really want an expensive set of tires laying around 98% of the time either.

My Nitto’s are now more than 50% worn down and the siping is much less prominent than when new but by airing down the tires and loading 650-700 pounds of weight in the bed, the pick up did well on the ice we had for a couple days. I was very pleased. BTW, these Nitto Exo Grapplers have 46k miles on them now and will probably last another 10-15k. I ran two sets of Duratrac’s before these and got 51k out out each set with strict 5k mile rotations and air pressure maintenance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom